Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful results/CAO predicament

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

So hears the deal.......I wanna do one of two new Engineering courses in NUI Galway this September.

Because they are new courses, I have absolutely no idea how the points are gonna turn out for them.

Also, even though I'm quite good with maths, I'm not sure how the exams went for me and hence don't know if I got the minimum C3 requirement.

So......we'll get our results on August 12th. (at this stage I wont know if I have the course, only whether I got the C3 in maths or not.)

If I don't get the C3 i can travel to Galway where I can spend a week doing lectures for their Special Maths Excemption Exam which is on August 19th @ 10am.

Only thing is - my graduation ball is on the night before in Cork. I really don't know what to do because even if i go up and do all the study I might not even get the points in CAO round 1. OH the pressure!! *sigh*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Welcome to life after secondary school. :pac:

You're going to have to make whatever decision you think is best. Personally, I would forego the ball/piss up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't start worrying about things that 'might' happen.

You may well get your C3 or higher. Don't be flapping unnecessarily.
    If you don't get your C3, you can do the course in Galway.

If it's the night before that exam that the ball is, I'd give it a miss personally, there will be other dances. Of course, you may well get the marks you want in which case all the flapping will have been for nowt.

Relax. There's always another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If worst comes to worst I see it as:

Having fun for one night with a bunch of people who you'll more than likely never meet again or go to NUIG having many fun nights with new friends.

It's not a tough decision really.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

creggy wrote: »
    If worst comes to worst I see it as:

Having fun for one night with a bunch of people who you'll more than likely never meet again or go to NUIG having many fun nights with new friends.

It's not a tough decision really.

Well said, this here is wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

I know how you feel im the same I need above a b3 for UL but im may or may not get it and even if I do ill only be boderline with the points:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Secoundrow wrote: »
    I know how you feel im the same I need above a b3 for UL but im may or may not get it and even if I do ill only be boderline with the points:(

Where's all the positive thinking gone from this forum?

It's only natural to be nervous but don't be consumed by negative thinking. If you feel you did well during your Leaving and throughout 6th year then there should be no worries really regarding what points you may or may not get.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

is it your prom/debs/whatever you call it?
    if it is im sure you dont wnat to miss it - i wouldnt.
    can you go and just have a semi-sensible night and still go to Galway the next day? it might be a bit sucky to be sober at prom/debs but it'd be better than not going at all! Hope it works out!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭paulhealy1991

hey whens the latest you can apply for the maths course in nuig?? i also fear failing honours maths so badly :confused: the maths exception course for gmit doesnt let ya do any engineering courses even after passing that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

hey whens the latest you can apply for the maths course in nuig?? i also fear failing honours maths so badly :confused: the maths exception course for gmit doesnt let ya do any engineering courses even after passing that :mad:

No end date to apply dude! I haven't applied at all yet. You can sign up after you get your results. That's my plan if necessary anyway. And like you said yourself, you CAN do engineering in NUIG with their exam.

Good luck with your results! ;)

Secoundrow wrote: »

Yep, i suppose we'll know everything soon enough. My panic has subsided a bit anyway since I first made this post. Hopefully everything will be ok for us!:rolleyes:

Oh and I just noticed on another post that you went to Marley Park with leaving cert's to see Muse last yr! I was there for it too! Leaving cert's everywhere! Brilliant gig though! :D

• Advertisement

is it your prom/debs/whatever you call it?
    if it is im sure you dont wnat to miss it - i wouldnt.
    can you go and just have a semi-sensible night and still go to Galway the next day? it might be a bit sucky to be sober at prom/debs but it'd be better than not going at all! Hope it works out!:D

Yep thats it is! So in a way it is a special night. I'll be sensible though if it turns out I have to do the exam.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Rob! wrote: »
    Yep thats it is! So in a way it is a special night. I'll be sensible though if it turns out I have to do the exam.:rolleyes:

It'd be more sensible not to jeopardise your college place for the sake of a pissup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

The Ball is one night, the course lasts a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Did you ask someone in the engineering department or admissions office of NUIG what they thought the points for these courses would be? I know of people who were entering into new courses who had been given rough guides of where they thought the points might lie when CAO offers were released. The college's estimate could be wrong, but it shouldn't be hundreds of points out. It might not be of any help to you but it's justs a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

pjtb wrote: »
    Did you ask someone in the engineering department or admissions office of NUIG what they thought the points for these courses would be? I know of people who were entering into new courses who had been given rough guides of where they thought the points might lie when CAO offers were released. The college's estimate could be wrong, but it shouldn't be hundreds of points out. It might not be of any help to you but it's justs a thought!

I don't see how this is at all possible pjtb. The nature of the points system means is fairly impossible to predict points for even established courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

fh041205 wrote: »
    I don't see how this is at all possible pjtb. The nature of the points system means is fairly impossible to predict points for even established courses.

I didn't make it up! A new architecture course was meant to start in Sligo IT last year, and a someone who came from the IT to our school giving a talk said they had estimated the points for the course would be 400 or something like that. I agree with you that it impossible to predict points, but colleges wouldn't be very likely to launch courses without estimating what points range the course would attract. Well I wouldn't think they would anyway! They make their estimates, but their estimates could be entirely wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you- I'm just passing on something that was said to me!
    In the end the architecture course didn't run... something about them not having enough numbers or funding.

Advertisement