Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aux in for MP3

• 04-08-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a Nissan Almera hatchback (SXE version), this is the one with the big screen for the radio / aircon info etc. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to add an aux in cable for an mp3? Is it even possible? I have used fm transmitters before but they haven't got the best sound.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

vinruane wrote: »
    Hi,

I just bought a Nissan Almera hatchback (SXE version), this is the one with the big screen for the radio / aircon info etc. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to add an aux in cable for an mp3? Is it even possible? I have used fm transmitters before but they haven't got the best sound.

Thanks!
    Is their an Aux option on the stereo? If so, check for a headphone jack in the glovebox, front of stereo, centre console etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭vinruane

No there's no aux in option on the stereo and no input jack in the glove box, there's a button for source but that just changes it from the stereo to the cd and back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

No there's no aux in option on the stereo and no input jack in the glove box, there's a button for source but that just changes it from the stereo to the cd and back again.
    Sounds like there is no auxillary then vinruane. A good quality FM transmitter should help. Like this...

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/TQ105ZM/A?mco=NDk0OTc3MA

TQ105_screen1.jpg

Actually some very nice features:

# Plays through your car stereo from current iPod models
    # ClearFM technology delivers superior sound
    # QuickSeek technology finds the clearest station in seconds
    # Displays song and artist name on your car stereo via RDS
    # Charges your iPod while it plays
    # 3 station presets for instant tuning, tune to any FM station: 88.1 - 107.9
    # On / Off switch to avoid car battery drain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

theres the problem right there im afraid. a good transmitter is the best option now.
    edit - just seen the post above, something like that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't have an iPod so that one won't work for me. I've used fm transmitters before and haven't been overly impressed with them. I've been googling this for a while and found a few places where people have mentioned inserting a new cable into the cd bus which tricks the stereo into thinkings its a cd changer and then uses the cd no.2 as an aux in for an mp3. Has anyone heard anything about this / done this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I own an almera and can safely say there is no aux in option nor was there ever. The only thing I *could* think of is to set up a wire loom onto the phone/mute cable but unless you know what your doing I'd leave it to an auto electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone know if there is a USB slot on a 06 A8 and if so where?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a USB slot on a 06 A8 and if so where?

is it in the manual that it has one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kceire wrote: »
    is it in the manual that it has one?

Sorry, not my car, a friend was asking me - should have explained that better! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to add an aux in cable for an mp3? Is it even possible?

Something like a Dension IceLink FM will give you a 3.5mm aux in cable and ipod input if you need it in the future.

you could also use something like an xcarlink, but that's overkill if you're onl;y using a 3.5mm lead and not actually looking to control or power the MP3 through the cars stereo.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Sorry, not my car, a friend was asking me - should have explained that better! :rolleyes:

best thing to do is check the manual to see if its standard or not. but if its not within easy reach, then more than likely its not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You could look at a Parrot MKi 9200. It's a bluetooth phone kit but will have an aux-in, ipod connection and a usb post in the glovebox.

parrot-mki9200_enl.jpg

Got one in my car and works very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Another option is an FM transmitter that is wired into the ariel connection on your radio, and powere by the cigarette lighter. Much better sound than a normal FM transmitter, and less hassle than some of the other options available.

Thanks for the replies guys, both seem like good options.

@EPM: approx how much was this system to buy and instal if ya dont mind me asking?

@spartacus93: how do you go about wirig a transmitter in the ariel socket? do i need any extra connections etc? will a standard fm transmitter do or is a special one required?

Thanks again for all your help everyone!

Advertisement