Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with windows

• 04-08-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭

I sent digital plans to a nominated windoe subbie, he printed them on a cheap printer & missed some of the detail (ie, hing postions). He is claiming it was my fault & vice versa, stricly speaking who is to blame ?what course of action can I take?
    Alhough I feel I am partially to blame (dont want to tell him this) as my instinct was to send the subbie print offs of all drawings, the windows are in but I want a discount or some acknowledgement of the mistake by the subbie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved the above post to its own thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

zelemon wrote: »
    I sent digital plans to a nominated windoe subbie, he printed them on a cheap printer & missed some of the detail (ie, hing postions). He is claiming it was my fault & vice versa, stricly speaking who is to blame ?what course of action can I take?
    Alhough I feel I am partially to blame (dont want to tell him this) as my instinct was to send the subbie print offs of all drawings, the windows are in but I want a discount or some acknowledgement of the mistake by the subbie?

With the windows in and I presume working correctly I don't really see any issue that you can 'go at' him with. In the overall scheme of things does it actually matter.

IMO the mistake is yours as he sets himself out to be a window expert, not an IT expert with a 'non-cheap' printer capable of dealing with all known file types.:(

Your instinct was to do the right thing and then you didnt, it goes a little awry and you blame him. Wrong call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Are the files easily read ( PDF ? ) . If so - and if he priced based on them - then he is at fault .

BUT - if there is no material fault - why behave like there is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nick Elsulphide

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Are the files easily read ( PDF ? ) . If so - and if he priced based on them - then he is at fault .

100% in agreement.
    If window contractor received dwg file and had a problem with clarity he should have informed you and asked you to resend in a differnt format. If he was confident to order from your original file format then the problem is entirely his. The story does not sound plausible at all.
    Sale of Goods Act. You were supplied with something you didn't order.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

100% in agreement.
    If window contractor received dwg file and had a problem with clarity he should have informed you and asked you to resend in a differnt format. If he was confident to order from your original file format then the problem is entirely his. The story does not sound plausible at all.
    Sale of Goods Act. You were supplied with something you didn't order.

Imagine if you had sent him say, installation instructions, for the windows as a Word document and he didn't print all the pages out. Even if you had originally planned to send them to him printed but you emailed the document to him instead, that is not really relevant. It is his fault if he didn't read/print the whole thing. If he had a problem with the computer file, he should have told you so, not half-printed it and barged on ahead.

That said, if there is no damage or faults, what's your problem? No point complaining just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nick Elsulphide

Tester46 wrote: »
    That said, if there is no damage or faults, what's your problem? No point complaining just for the sake of it.

The insinuation of the op is that there are faults - hinge positions. If the customer is willing to accept the faulty product - particularly given the likely delay in programme whilst waiting to get the correct window installed - then the supplier should recognise that and offer a discount - without prejudice. After all, to supply the correct product is going to cost him a new window plus associated installation costs - at a minimum. This will eat into his margin for the job.

I believe the op is ideally placed to suggest an amicable compromise that includes a discount. This is premised on the assumption that the op (or their agent) did not sign an order that contained an elevational schedule from the supplier showing windows as supplied. If so it gets a bit tricky.

Advertisement