Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband's 24Mb Six Month Trial Offer

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone else take up this offer?

I'm getting the following:

532345177.png

I can live with the download but upload speed is driving me nuts. Took me over 10 hours to upload an 850mb file to YouTube.

Nic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Nico22 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone else take up this offer?

I'm getting the following:

532345177.png

I can live with the download but upload speed is driving me nuts. Took me over 10 hours to upload an 850mb file to YouTube.

Nic
    850MB?! Have you ever heard of a file converter, I can't believe you uploaded that.

That works about at about 2.4KB/s to upload that file, with 24MB (1MB upload) you should be uploading at approx. 100KB/s. Now given your download speed, it looks like your current profile isn't the full 24MB (because your line can't handle it) so your upload sync could be less.

Can we see your line statistics please? (192.168.1.1 > Advanced > Advanced (in the middle) > Status > Broadband Line)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

cpu-dude wrote: »
    850MB?! Have you ever heard of a file converter, I can't believe you uploaded that.

The file is HD in AVCHD format from a Lumix TZ7.

Tried a bunch of file converters but the quality became so poor and after I uploaded it YouTube then did not show it as HD.

Can we see your line statistics please? (192.168.1.1 > Advanced > Advanced (in the middle) > Status > Broadband Line)

Not sure what this means?

Nic

Your line stats show the current speed your line is syncing at. Do the following:

Go to http://192.168.1.1/
    Click "Advanced"
    Click "Advanced" (in the middle of the page)
    Click "Status"
    Click "Broadband Line"

Now copy and paste all the visible details you can see.

Thanks!

Your line stats show the current speed your line is syncing at. Do the following:

Go to http://192.168.1.1/
    Click "Advanced"
    Click "Advanced" (in the middle of the page)
    Click "Status"
    Click "Broadband Line"

Now copy and paste all the visible details you can see.

Thanks!

Here you go :)

BTScan.png

Should say also that I was only getting 2.8mb download speeds past few days and phoned up at 2.30pm today and within an hour got the speed up to what it is now.

Maybe the Upload will pick-up in time.

Nic

Here you go :)

BTScan.png

Should say also that I was only getting 2.8mb download speeds past few days and phoned up at 2.30pm today and within an hour got the speed up to what it is now.

Maybe the Upload will pick-up in time.

Nic
    Well your upload is a lot nicer now as well as the downstream.

Can you tell me what speed test results you get from the following:

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ (a screenshot would be nice again, cheesr!)

• Advertisement

Can you tell me what speed test results you get from the following:

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ (a screenshot would be nice again, cheesr!)

There you go ..

MagnetScreenCapture.jpg

Cheers for your help ..

Nic

There you go ..

MagnetScreenCapture.jpg

Cheers for your help ..

Nic
    Seems a lot better now, your definately getting the speeds to match your sync.

Try upload another video to YouTube and see if it makes any difference (try a smaller one).

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Is it possibe for existing 1mb customers to get 24mb trial for 6 months or is it new customers only? Website is very unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

APM wrote: »
    Is it possibe for existing 1mb customers to get 24mb trial for 6 months or is it new customers only? Website is very unclear

The areas are listed on their website as far as I know. It's here actually

Think you have to be in ADSL2 area or ADSL2+ area...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 17.0 db 8.0 db
    Noise Margin 12.7 db 17.0 db

My stats are similar, wish BT had 24mb in westport. Its adsl2+ enabled but only for eircom. Which only offers (Business only) 24mb @ €99 ex vat + ex line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

Hello,

I'm also with BT and I'm trying to find out if my sync speed is rate adaptive or fixed rate. I'm in Ennis which is an ADSL2+ exchange and about 3km away by road. I'm on the 7.6 meg package but since day one I've only ever synced at 4096Kbs.

From reading numerous threads on this board, my stats don't seem to be that bad and look like they could support syncing at a higher rate (I understand I've no chance of syncing at full speed). I've tried using different routers, unplugging everything else in the house that might interfere and plugging directly into the master socket but it always syncs at 4096.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I did search but can't quite find the info I'm looking for.

Much appreciated.

Mode : G.DMT Type: Interleave Line Coding : Trellis On Status : Link Up Downstream Upstream Rate (Kbps) : 4096 384 SNR Margin (dB) : 18.1 18.0 Attenuation (dB) : 9.0 5.5 Output Power (dBm) : -0.1 2.4 K (number of bytes in DMT frame) : 129 13 R (number of check bytes in RS code word) : 14 12 S (RS code word size in DMT frame) : 1 4 D (interleaver depth) : 64 8 Delay (msec) : 16 8 Super Frames : 9343651 9343708 Super Frame Errors : 0 0 RS Words : 635368334 158841948 RS Correctable Errors : 548 1 RS Uncorrectable Errors : 0 N/A HEC Errors : 0 0 OCD Errors : 0 0 LCD Errors : 0 0 Total Cells : 1534474799 0 Data Cells : 369252428 0 Bit Errors : 0 0 Total ES : 0 0 Total SES : 0 0 Total UAS : 12 0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Just a warning for any heavy update/downloader, even though you are getting the 24Mb download speed the cap is still that of the lower package.!!!!

Hello,

I'm also with BT and I'm trying to find out if my sync speed is rate adaptive or fixed rate. I'm in Ennis which is an ADSL2+ exchange and about 3km away by road. I'm on the 7.6 meg package but since day one I've only ever synced at 4096Kbs.

From reading numerous threads on this board, my stats don't seem to be that bad and look like they could support syncing at a higher rate (I understand I've no chance of syncing at full speed). I've tried using different routers, unplugging everything else in the house that might interfere and plugging directly into the master socket but it always syncs at 4096.
    You are syncing at 4MB exactly, with a SNR of 18dB and attenuation of 9dB, you could easily get 7.6MB (max via ADSL being about 10-12MB, about 16-18MB with ADSL2+) I'd ring BT and request them to change your profile, it should only take a few minutes to be upped to the 7.6MB profile.

By the way, you'd need to talk to Customer Care about getting changed over from ADSL to ADSL2+ (Mode: G.DMT means ADSL).

Seems a lot better now, your definately getting the speeds to match your sync.

Try upload another video to YouTube and see if it makes any difference (try a smaller one).

Yeah, much faster now. Uploaded 250mb mts file in just 50 minutes :D

Thanks CPUDude .. here's a link to the HD files on YouTube that I was so eager to upload :)

My Vids

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

You are syncing at 4MB exactly, with a SNR of 18dB and attenuation of 9dB, you could easily get 7.6MB (max via ADSL being about 10-12MB, about 16-18MB with ADSL2+) I'd ring BT and request them to change your profile, it should only take a few minutes to be upped to the 7.6MB profile.

By the way, you'd need to talk to Customer Care about getting changed over from ADSL to ADSL2+ (Mode: G.DMT means ADSL).

Thanks cpu-dude. You were spot on. I called them up and they had limited by sync to 4MB but they had no idea why. Said my stats were excellent and were able to support the maximum available. Unfortunately, until they bring in LLU to Ennis, that's 7.6MB. Thanks again; should have just asked here in the first place - would have saved myself a bit of grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Unfortunately rang them up today to find that I'd be without my internet for 3 weeks if I wanted to change over :( ah well! will just have to live without it for the time being! Can't see too many people going offline for 3 weeks to accept the 24mb

APM wrote: »
    Can't see too many people going offline for 3 weeks to accept the 24mb

There's always dial-up :)

Nic

BT Broadband really slow last few days .. anyone else having this issue?

Kept dropping off totally and now it's back but only getting ..

546216708.png

BBstats.jpg

Problem solved ..

I changed the adapter thing that comes with the BT router .. the one that has a socket for 'phone' and one for 'dsl' ..

Now I'm getting ..

546227787.png

Are those things that vital? I always thought they didn't matter too much .. shows what I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

highly important, they stop interference and basically cause your speeds to be as expected

• Advertisement
Advertisement