Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad to switch my Nokia N95 8gb for a Nokia E71?

• 04-08-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Thinking of upgrading my N95 8Gb for the E71, am I mad? E71 seems look smaller and can do more or same as N95. Would value your opions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are you thinking about do it for a reason? Sending a lot of emails, looking for a qwerty, or has the n95 let you down in some way. Are you getting a deal on it, or just going to be buying from a network. You not mad :) both are good, depends what you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Nah am just due an upgrade and fancy a change. N95 is a little big in pocket but a great phone all the same.

Tis a great phone even 2 years on. The e71 is a lot slimer but it wider then the n95, have you had a feel of it in your hand to see if you like it.

Are you going to be renewing your contact, have you thought about looking around to see if you can get a better deal, rather than just getting a upgrade for the sake of it.

Oh why does the thread title say N71,, i take it that's a typo as that's ancient, get random to change it for ya if you still cant.

Yeah the title is a typo its meant to be E71. I also want phone that is better at browsing the net on the go. N95 is a fiddle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

DonFred wrote: »
    Yeah the title is a typo its meant to be E71. I also want phone that is better at browsing the net on the go. N95 is a fiddle...

You might want to check out the screen size on the E71. It may be a bit of a come down from the N95.

The E71 is very good value at the minute - 130 on the lowest Meteor plan. Mind you, there's a new version called the E72 due out soon with a much better camera and regular headphone jack.

A touchscreen phone would be likely to give you a better resolution in the same from factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The E71 is a great phone - for email, qwerty, battery life and size its fantastic. For internet browsing its a compromise as the screen is small compared to its bigger ts rivals. If browsing is what you need then I'd look at something with larger screens. If email and the other good points hit the sweet spot then the E71 is perfect (and I have one going cheap....;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

updated the topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

E71 is great! And despite smaller screen size: browser supports flash! There's no onscreen keyboard to fiddle with and to block most of the screen when it's active! Despite the &inferior' resolution, the e71's screen is very crisp. Text easy to read even in direct sunlight; dpad is excellent to navigate webpages. Sennheiser make excellent earphones with 2.5 mm jack, and the sound from the 71 will surprise once you've used them.
    I've had an n95/8, and I currently have an iphone 3G S and an e71... And though they beat the 71 in many aspects, as an overall package the e71 is the winner (not to mention the very sturdy built - hey, I soaked mine in the sink 2 months ago. Let it dry for 3 days, and it works perfectly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have an n95 (not 8gb) and an e71 (for work). I prefer using the N95 for * better camera * better media player. The keyboard is useful on the e71 but I find T9 quite ok. If I lost them I'd still replace with an N82 or even a 6220. The idea of the E71 was nice but the keys can be man-fiddly and it's a wide phone.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that the E71 was great for browsing the web as I found the N95 a fiddle to browse it even using SKyfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I was under the impression that the E71 was great for browsing the web as I found the N95 a fiddle to browse it even using SKyfire.
    You're right! It took me about 30 mins to 'accept' the slightly smaller screen on the E71 - it has so many advantages otherwise!

Cheers for all replyies, but am still undecided. Love my N95 but have option to upgrade. I like something that i can do my fantasy football on at weekends when away and that. Both are good phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Both are good phones.

The e71 is a great phone, if your getting it cheap on an upgrade it's the best spare phone (at the moment) you could ever have...

if you can hold out the e72 should be even better...

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/06/15/nokia-e72-unveiled-pics-and-video/ i'll be using my upgrade the day it comes out...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'm not a big fan of Nokias at all, but I think that the Nokia E71 is the best phone Nokia has ever made. I'd upgrade to it if I was in your position.

Edit: Just saw link above for E72. If that's coming out soon, you might be better off waiting.

Just see Meteor have the Samsung Jet now, but am iffy about touchscreen phones. Think E71 would be good once i get used to qwerty. E72 looks good too but it be very expensive and Meteor probably wont have it in stock. Dilema, dilema........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

E71 is a great phonee... I have its little brother, the E63 and they are the same, bar the metal, gps, hsdpa and better camera on E71. But E63 has better keyboard imo.

Advertisement