Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Velux window flashing kit for flashing a chimney: Any issues?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

The setup is that I have a new chimney going through a concrete tiled roof and I got a quotation for a pre-fabricated flashing kit at 260 euro plus VAT

The top and bottom pieces in this kit have the corners and upstands at the correct angle: the sides are just a set of normal chimney trays.

Bought a velux flashing kit today for 50 euro which was 200mm too wide
    I cut the top and bottom pieces, sealed and pop-riveted the over lap to the right width.

Cut the sides to suit.

The sides are great as they are the full length and no messing with chimney trays. Will counter flash as normal

Would welcome any comments.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

Carlow52 wrote: »
    The setup is that I have a new chimney going through a concrete tiled roof and I got a quotation for a pre-fabricated flashing kit at 260 euro plus VAT

The top and bottom pieces in this kit have the corners and upstands at the correct angle: the sides are just a set of normal chimney trays.

Bought a velux flashing kit today for 50 euro which was 200mm too wide
    I cut the top and bottom pieces, sealed and pop-riveted the over lap to the right width.

Cut the sides to suit.

The sides are great as they are the full length and no messing with chimney trays. Will counter flash as normal

Would welcome any comments.
    Thanks

the only solution is to weather your junctions/interfaces properly...cheap fixes wont last too long, however - make sure you tape and mastic all the joints and use weathering fixings if you're on a budget - make sure you counter flash the new pressed metal upstand, otherwise, water will get in behind and then you're in trouble....hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

max 73 wrote: »
    the only solution is to weather your junctions/interfaces properly...cheap fixes wont last too long, however - make sure you tape and mastic all the joints and use weathering fixings if you're on a budget - make sure you counter flash the new pressed metal upstand, otherwise, water will get in behind and then you're in trouble....hope this helps

Many thanks:

what are weathering fixings?
    what sort of lead do I ask for the counter flashing?
    I have seen references to Code 4.

Advertisement