Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Games Live Concert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'll probably head along. I take it most of ye are going in the evening yes? I'll wear either my Devil May Cry or Sonic t-shirt. I'll bring the DSi too so I can take a few sneaky pics :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Leaving Limerick in a few minutes! Sabre, be ready ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Anyone driving in for this? Think of driving in but have no idea where to park in the area. I'm going for the 3.30 show btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

My girlfriend rang up and got us two tickets for tonight!
    Yes!
    Gonna put the DS on charge now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heading in in a second. Got my i pwn n00bs t-shirt on and a green top if anyone wants to punch me. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Show was amazing. Spoke to tommy tallarico for a minute after at the meet and greet, and he said they'd be back next year, and they were working on getting some street fighter into the show. I'm definitely goin to it when it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Exellent show.
    Would highly recommend it..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Brilliant show. Well made. Being a Halo fanboy, the title theme with Tommy on the electric was real sweet.

I didn't really know much of the other games tbh, I knew Sonic, Mario theme and a bit of MGS but it was still pretty good.

I was talking with Tommy and Jack after the show to ask him to get some SFII stuff in (Ken's stage specifically :)) and he told me that they already did a show in the US with Ken's, Guile's and Ryu's stages so I was a bit annoyed that they didn't put them in tonight :( still, it was pretty impressive.

Oh and Martin Leung? Is he human!? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just back from the 8pm show. Was very good. Some fantastic pieces of music. Warcraft, Halo and Chrono Trigger deserve special mentions for me. Some hair raising bits for sure. Also, when everyone went crazy at the Final Fantasy VII music, all i could think was that Retr0gamer would be rolling his eyes, or shouting for some Final Fantasy VI music :P I would have liked some more lesser known stuff, but Martin Leung more then made up for it. He's bloody amazing.

The only bad thing was the insane people sitting beside me. Some lad who went from waving his hands like a conductor, to drumming or playing the piano, and the girl sitting beside him who actually started crying just before Kingdom Hearts played...it was very weird.

Also, Chris from Family Guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Brilliant show. You can really see that Tommy Tallarico's enjoying himself. (I would be too, the lucky bugger, rocking out along to Megaman. Does it get any better?!)

Great to see them play Chrono Trigger. I was convinced they were going to play Castlevania at that point. Got quite a shock! :eek: Shame there was go game footage!

Metroid was also brilliant.

Only down points were Halo (The choir were amazing though) and World of Warcraft. Don't really care too much for Starcraft either.

But yeah, all round great show. Martin Leung is an animal!

Edit\ forgot to include the Sonic 1 medley. Brilliant! Got a lump in me throat. Kept it together though... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Show was great, I was just wondering - is there an issue with them using footage from Square games? None for Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

It was really an amazing show, the Guitar Hero bit was both hilarious and very tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Overall I thought it was great! Perhaps a bit too orientated towards older Japanese games (I could have done without Mario or Megaman personally), but I loved the Zelda medley and Chrono Trigger. Disappointed that there wasn't anything from Jeremy Soule for example. And I even said to my wife before Tommy said it - the Guitar Hero kid is the son from Family Guy! Depends on next year's playlist, would definitely consider going again.

(And Pictochatting in the auditorium before the start on my wife's DS was definitely one of the geekiest things I've ever done ;)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

It was fantastic, I was so pleased they played the Sonic segment having missed out on it before. I also really enjoyed the Metal Gear, Zelda, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts, Mario, Castlevania and various FF bits. I didn't recognise a lot of the other stuff but it was still really enjoyable.

Martin Leung is amazing to watch, his hands were a blur during the speeded up Mario bit and I liked when he ad-libbed a little Katamari. The guys who took part in the interactive bits did really well too, it's fun to watch games being played live like that. Heh, Chris Griffin :)

Shame no one entered the costume contest though..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There wasn't really anything too old? There was a bit at the very beginning with older arcade games like Frogger, Joust, centipede etc, but most of the stuff after that was from Nes onward. All of it fairly iconic too!

If anything there were too many new games... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brilliant show. Chrono Trigger medley was ****ing fantastic, as was Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda etc.. Nice variety to the show too, plenty of stuff going on. Disapointed I had seen some of the stuff on youtube though, as it sort of spoiled the surpise. But first rate show!

(Good to meet the Limerick crew during interval Pictochat too! We were all very disappointed Retr0 didn't make his DS appearance :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Fantastic show and some great bits of humor, the guys from google, "does that guy have a laptop?" is it a pc or mac?" don't play much games on that do you?" I'll play it on expert, oooo, and then walks off miserable git, Chris from family guy!" the guard and the box during mgs, and of course the music was fantastic,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was shouting for some FFVI but Martin Leung made up for it with a wonderful piano version of Terras theme that kept me happy. :)

Have to say it was a fantastic show and I would definitely go again next year. I asked Tommy for some Street Fighter 2 next time. Martin knows the tracks so some one ask for them next time! Was also talking to Jack about getting some Hitoshi Sakimoto but his stuff isn't well known and they want to go for the crowd pleasers. Ah well it's understandable. I was delighted they played Chrono and was really annoyed when they did one winged angel without having played castlevania but then they turned around and did it for the final song! I had my DS with me, sorry I didn't turn it on at the interval, I was chatting to mates. Would have been good to meet more of the regulars, although met up with a good few at the end.

Even my mates that don't game loved it and would go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ACDUB

allanb49 wrote: »
    Fantastic show and some great bits of humor, the guys from google, "does that guy have a laptop?" is it a pc or mac?" don't play much games on that do you?" I'll play it on expert, oooo, and then walks off miserable git, Chris from family guy!" the guard and the box during mgs, and of course the music was fantastic,

Fantastic Show it was my nephew who played the guitar hero he is only 14 and is seeing the funny side of being called Chris from Family Guy. He was told to say he would play it on expert he was so nervous. I thought he did well in front of so many people I know he didn't win. Didn't think he came across as "miserable git". Maybe just me! Anways he is well chuffed with himself if anyone got any footage please PM me. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nearly forgot about the Katamari bit - I would love for them to do a whole segment for that! Didn't stick around for the meet and greet, so will spam their websites with requests instead :D

But that pianist really was astonishing. One meme that had completely surpassed me, but a very talented individual. Felt sorry for the orchestra pianist though - didnt have much to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

lack of cosplayers led to an embarrasing interaction between myself and one of the organisers.

For some reason I couldnt fanthom they assumed I was in cosplay and signed me up as a contestant...But it was me and some guy in a pheonix wright outfit (Edgeworth) and they were asking me what character I was...

Had a quick discussion with other boardsies and there were numerous suggestions for what to pass me off as.

Though I'll have to go google nathan drakes outfit because that was what monkeyfudge suggested and I'm pretty sure he doesnt wear a fedora with goggles.

The show itself was great. I thought the megaman medley and sonic medley were my personal favourites.

The final fantasy segment on the piano was a bit weird because I expected more reaction from the crowd, but everyone was silent even when he was playing really popular final fantasy songs.

This was more confusing when everyone went nuts when they played one wing angel with the full orchestra.

I think the warcraft segment was probably the weakest overall, mostly because it was really out of place in comparison to all the other games being very much console orientated titles.

Also I got them to sign my tails teddy which was quite fun. though jack wanted to sign on the crotch area I convinced him to sign on one of the tails.

Will def go again for future shows and take my mum to the next one just to prove to her that games are more then beeps and bops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Though I'll have to go google nathan drakes outfit because that was what monkeyfudge suggested and I'm pretty sure he doesnt wear a fedora with goggles.

That was you? Huh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I think the warcraft segment was probably the weakest overall, mostly because it was really out of place in comparison to all the other games being very much console orientated titles.

As a mainly PC gamer, I thought that was one of the better bits! (At the intro showing the dwarf hunter, my wife said "Oh look, it's [your alt]"). I thought the lack of diversity of the show was a problem, not a good thing, and perhaps I dare say one or two tunes were chosen purely for nostalgia reasons rather than any musical merit. What I did like was to be surprised by music I've never heard before (Chrono Trigger, etc). I thought the Halo medley was a bit of a flat ending though.

Anyone know how long the local musicians had to practise? I'd love to know how many were games geeks beforehand...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I really enjoyed the show but I too would have liked a bit more variety. I thought maybe there was too much focus on older japanese franchises for nostalgia purposes and not enough music from more recent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Was at 20.00 show, thought it was very good. Best part was Chris from family guy's face when Tommy asked him several times to wave to the crowd :D I was in the front row so most people wouldn't have been able to see, but it was priceless nerd moment of social awkwardness.

He kinda reminded me of that kid who plays with stan in that episode of south park. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Newaglish wrote: »
    Show was great, I was just wondering - is there an issue with them using footage from Square games? None for Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

It was really an amazing show, the Guitar Hero bit was both hilarious and very tense!

Yup, spot on. SquareEnix do their own music show, and while they allow the music, they reserve the use of video for themselves! Bit of a shame, but instead we got a video of Martin Leung, and a bunch of gorgeous cos play girls ;)

I really enjoyed the night, and pictochat with johnny_ultimate, o1s1n and GothPunk. Then very briefly seeing Retr0 and BlitzKrieg at the end of the night when Mr. K joked about how awesome MGS4 was!!

I also talked to the guys. Said to Martin that he should encorporate 'Clash on the Big Bridge' from FF V into his medley, which he started to hum straight away. Also, Nozomi's Confession from Shenmue. Whole Shenmue segment in fact! Getting to meet Jack Wall, who just finished working on Mass Effect 2... Wow. Tommy was also a really cool guy, and did all the sound work on the fantastic Aladdin!!

Even though I don't play it, a though the World of Warcraft piece was the best, just worked really well. Mario theme was probably my favourite for the night though.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Only got tickets yesteday afternoon but still had a blast.

Loved the metal gear theme & video and thought the Guitar Hero bit was very good. If they did that same challenge again next year I'd still be happy to see it.

Little dissapointed the best final fantasy songs were mashed into one piano performace (which itself was amazing) as I would have liked to have heard Terra's theme over One Winged Angel.

Overall though it was f**king ace.
    That said I can't imagine myself ever sinking to lower depths of nerdom...
    unless I open a World of Warcraft account... which i won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

For me one of the best bits of the night was seeing the musicans / vocalists faces when the crowd was going crazy, don't think they expected it at all. They looked liked they really enjoyed themselves. And during Guitar Hero the whole choir trying their hardest to look at the screen heh.

I can't really balme them for the lack of variety in the performance. It was the first performance of any videogame music by an orchestra in Ireland so they played all their crowd pleasers. I'd say when they come back they will have a better variety.

As for Shenmue, I've a bit of bad news. The rights they have for the music are up this year so if they don't get them renewed we might not hear it.

I think they shouldn't do One Winged Angel next year. I'd go crazy if they played the full 20 minutes of Dancing Mad from FFVI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Great show! Really enjoyed all the pieces and I thought that the meet-and-greet was a nice touch. Missed many games growing up as a PC Gamer (but I was aware of them); was nice to catch the music. Would like some Total Annihilation pieces - as far as I can recall, it was the first game that I really paid attention to the music.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It was a good night alright. I was lucky enough to see Play in the Sydney opera house a few years ago and while it was a better show, they didn't have Martin Leung who was astonishing!

Best moment for me was when Link came on screen and Retr0gamer had tears in his eyes. Ahh bless! :)

Advertisement