Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Games Live Concert

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think they shouldn't do One Winged Angel next year. I'd go crazy if they played the full 20 minutes of Dancing Mad from FFVI :)

One Winged Angel was definitely one of the weaker segments. Better songs they can draw from the series for sure. Even from FFVII, there are much more iconic songs. I'd love to hear an orchestral version of Fight On! May never happen, but it would be so much fun (plus Tommy could go nuts on the guitar).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

As for Shenmue, I've a bit of bad news. The rights they have for the music are up this year so if they don't get them renewed we might not hear it.

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

In terms of variety I would say it was more or less the same as the showing I saw in London last year, which was the 3rd time they've played in London. I'd imagine they're always going to play the crowdpleasers and certain segments like Mario, Zelda and Halo probably feature in every show they do.

They just couldn't please everyone in 2 and 1/2 hours (without doing seperate console/pc/retro/modern performances) so they have to aim for songs that they know will mean something to a majority of the audience. I know I have a wishlist that's a mile long and I imagine everyone else here does too.

Mario fan or not, it was pretty amazing to be part of a large crowd singing in unison to the Mario theme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That was a lot of fun, I have to say, even if I only knew about half the tunes. Martin Leung was without doubt the star of the show for me. Well, himself and Chris.
    ACDUB wrote: »
    Didn't think he came across as "miserable git". Maybe just me!

Not at all, just a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Disappointed with the visual representation of the Square songs (especially OWA), but the music itself was superb.

I too would love Dancing Mad, mebbe the 13 minute Black Mages version. If they played Liberi Fatali next year I'd go mad

Highlight for me was the WoW theme.

Delighted that they played some Chrono Trigger stuff as well, seeing as I was screaming it at Martin when they were taking requests :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't suppose anyone has a setlist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, from what I can remember there was a retro medley, Kingdom Hearts orchestrated version of simple and clean, Warcraft medley, Chrono Trigger/ Cross Medley, Mario medley, Zelda medley, Sonic medley, Megaman medley, Castlevania medley, One winged Angel, Martin Leung did requests, played some of the mario music and did some wonderful versions of a load of Final fantasy songs, Halo main theme, the guitar hero section. Can't remember if I'm missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hmm, from what I can remember there was a retro medley, Kingdom Hearts orchestrated version of simple and clean, Warcraft medley, Chrono Trigger/ Cross Medley, Mario medley, Zelda medley, Sonic medley, Megaman medley, Castlevania medley, One winged Angel, Martin Leung did requests, played some of the mario music and did some wonderful versions of a load of Final fantasy songs, Halo main theme, the guitar hero section. Can't remember if I'm missing anything.

Sorry to be a pain, and don't feel the need to answer right away, but I don't suppose you remember which Final Fantasy songs?

How you can do Kingdom Hearts (ok well the opening title music is very good) without Hollow Bastion is beyond me!

I am slowly piecing together what I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Opended with Metal Gear Solid and followed by God of War.
    Also I think there was a Starcraft 2 trailer somewhere in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Did they not do Diablo 3 ?, they played it last year in London, twas great :)

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Martin also played (by request) some very quick Kirby and Katamari medleys.

Was it you who was shouting for Street Fighter Retro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jim wrote: »
    Was it you who was shouting for Street Fighter Retro?

Yep :)

Forgot about those other pieces. They didn't do Diablo 3, we got starcraft 2 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Loved it, great stuff. I bought the CD and got it signed by the three of them at the meet and greet, then saw that they sell signed CDs on the website for $40 (without Martin's signature)!

Standouts for me where MGS, Zelda, Castlevania and everything Martin did.

Who else put up their hand for the Space Invaders challenge?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I went to the 3.30 showing and absolutely loved it!! (the only downside is that it wasn't a sellout) Heard everything that i wanted to (Mario halo FF7), I play keyboards myself and that pianist was mind blowing, the surprise of the show was how good the GOW segment was i thought it would be crap tbh.

A group of 19 of us went up and at the meet and greet we got a group pic with tommy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 erikwetbeard

I'm Chris!!!!

allanb49 wrote: »
    Fantastic show and some great bits of humor, the guys from google, "does that guy have a laptop?" is it a pc or mac?" don't play much games on that do you?" I'll play it on expert, oooo, and then walks off miserable git, Chris from family guy!" the guard and the box during mgs, and of course the music was fantastic,
    What do you mean ''miserable git'':mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

What do you mean ''miserable git'':mad:

I think he meant "cooly nonchalant". ;)

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I think he meant "cooly nonchalant". ;)

P.
    Yeah Thought so.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

shame *chris* didnt finish the song on expert, a few of us were tempted to do the south park ending to guitar hero :D

oceanclub wrote: »
    As a mainly PC gamer, I thought that was one of the better bits! (At the intro showing the dwarf hunter, my wife said "Oh look, it's [your alt]"). I thought the lack of diversity of the show was a problem, not a good thing, and perhaps I dare say one or two tunes were chosen purely for nostalgia reasons rather than any musical merit.
    P.

That was what I meant, the warcraft bit was out of place so it felt the weakest, alot of the other songs worked off each other because they were from similar background. I mean aside from the intro the first three songs were all from playstation 2 blockbusters and had the same epic themes. And at the end all the guitar pieces worked off each other.

You can see why Blizzard came after the break on its own pretty much.

Would have been nice if they tied it to one or two other similar western titles.

(DAMN IT I just thought I should have asked them to get Hell March from Red Alert...that would rock.)

If there was a pc trio or something. Maybe the team fortress 2 theme to bring us back from the break, then maybe monkey island and hell march building up to warcraft to end a pc segment.

just my opinion thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

o1s1n wrote: »
    Brilliant show. You can really see that Tommy Tallarico's enjoying himself. (I would be too, the lucky bugger, rocking out along to Megaman. Does it get any better?!)
    Yeah definitely, I saw the early show and was really inspired by his extreme enthusiasm and enjoyment of what he was doing, especially toward the end with the guitar pieces (which I didn't expect to like so much, but absolutely loved them! :)). I honestly had a tear in my eye (not for the first time), thinking "just look what you can do with a little bit of passion for something you really like, guiding your life" and kind of feeling guilty for not being as driven and wasting my days watching old Simpsons episodes etc. :o I mean, if you're gonna waste a day flicking channels on TV, at least stick a decent game in the PS2 and do something cool!
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Great to see them play Chrono Trigger. I was convinced they were going to play Castlevania at that point. Got quite a shock! :eek: Shame there was go game footage!

Metroid was also brilliant.

Only down points were Halo (The choir were amazing though) and World of Warcraft. Don't really care too much for Starcraft either.

But yeah, all round great show. Martin Leung is an animal!

Edit\ forgot to include the Sonic 1 medley. Brilliant! Got a lump in me throat. Kept it together though... :pac:
    Yep, loved the Sonic medley too, and was really floored by the quality of the kind of jazzy bits from (iirc) Sonic 2 and 3 - what an amazing smooth sound it was.

Probably my favourite bit was Metroid, it was so well arranged, right from the electronic incidental music at the start which got my hair standing on end and I knew it was going to be brilliant.

I laughed when the two gamers brought onstage to try Space Invaders and Guitar Hero both were young men with long hair :D As soon as I saw the second guy I was like . o O ( Ah, but of course! )

Loved Martin Leung as well, and as a pianist myself I was well impressed with his performance - not just a fast-playing gimmick, he really does have a great musical brain and an excellent touch on the instrument.

What would I like to have heard that wasn't in the show? Probably some stuff from Donkey Kong Country (Coral Capers played by a live orchestra would probably cause a sensory overload and mental breakdown, but it would be worth it), maybe some Street Fighter 2, an arrangement of Sly Spy Secret Agent on the C64 (ok, maybe that's a bit much to ask for, but listen to iiiiiiit!) and more from Final Fantasy 5/6/8/10/12 (never played the odd-numbered games beyond 5 for some reason, although I listened to the OST for 7 and 9 and wasn't very moved and thus wasn't much into OWA), maybe something from the Ultima RPGs (6, 7, 8 are good). Tekken could work too - there are some spectacular short and sweet tunes in Tekken 3, 4, 5 and Tag.

The meet and greet was a nice idea indeed, I made sure to blow a trifling tenner on the CD and get it signed by the three lads who seemed really nice (although Sting Malcolm McDowell the conductor looked exhausted).
    My GF said the tickets were too expensive and that I should go on my own, but I spent about half the show feeling so sorry that I didn't bring her anyway - I can honestly say it was the best concert I've gone to, ever. Very much looking forward to the next one!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

awesome show. had a blast. was at the 3.30 one and was a ruddy good time. Megaman was probably the best bit of the show for me, metroid too. i was an idiot though and i could have easily requested martin leung to do duck tales - moon but had a brain fart and went out of my head >< (was sitting near the front and tommy could easily see me so it wouldnt have been hard).
    only thing i would want added would be F-Zero music. sure there are random tracks and stuff but they are going for the biggies. very impressive though.

had dinner with 2 of the musicians after before they had to go on at 8. they didnt really have much rehearsal time at all but you have to remember that these are pro musicians and they are bloody good. i think it was only for one day they rehearsed or something and then they did a practice on the day itself. the 2 ppl i had dinner with are both massive gamers, in fact one of them has even been to the wcg lan before :)

Yep, loved the Sonic medley too, and was really floored by the quality of the kind of jazzy bits from (iirc) Sonic 2 and 3 - what an amazing smooth sound it was.

all the songs are from sonic 1, in fact the medley is in the game over the ending credits:

which slightly disapointed me as sonic 2 and sonic 3 have some of the best songs in the series.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    all the songs are from sonic 1, in fact the medley is in the game over the ending credits:

[...]

which slightly disapointed me as sonic 2 and sonic 3 have some of the best songs in the series.
    Ah right; I heard some of the tunes in a TAS of Sonic 3 IIRC, didn't know they came from the original game. Yeah, more would have been nice then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I really enjoyed the night, they played some of my favourites and seeing some fellow Boardsies was good too. I was surprised by how good the God of War part was, especially when the soloist came out. The Sonic medley was the most nostagic for me - although I hadn't a clue what most of the games past the 16-bit ones were. Snowboarding down a street, wtf? The Chrono medley was very well done, it was great seeing the first chair violin stand up and kicking some ass. Watching the World of Warcraft medley made me think of the Lord of the Rings. Whist I enjoyed One Winged Angel, I agree it is overused but as such a popular crowdpleaser I wonder if they always finish with it. I enjoyed the Zelda part too... even though I've never played a Zelda game.
    Had a quick discussion with other boardsies and there were numerous suggestions for what to pass me off as.

The final fantasy segment on the piano was a bit weird because I expected more reaction from the crowd, but everyone was silent even when he was playing really popular final fantasy songs.
    I think my suggestion of a character from some obscure RPG totally would have worked.

I was surprised to hear so many requests for FFVIII at the part where Tommy was taking requests for Martin. There wasn't a peep out of them during the piano medley - then again, I was pretty much silent during that part as I was hanging on every note. Maybe they were too. Glad to hear some Terra'a Theme and a snippet of Tifa's theme in the medley. The end with the fanfare was awesome.
    I really enjoyed the night, and pictochat with johnny_ultimate, o1s1n and GothPunk. Then very briefly seeing Retr0 and BlitzKrieg at the end of the night when Mr. K joked about how awesome MGS4 was!!
    I wasn't counting on looking up and seeing you standing up about 8 people down from me on the same row. :D That was a good laugh alright.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Great show! Really enjoyed all the pieces and I thought that the meet-and-greet was a nice touch. Missed many games growing up as a PC Gamer (but I was aware of them); was nice to catch the music. Would like some Total Annihilation pieces - as far as I can recall, it was the first game that I really paid attention to the music.
    I would love an RTS medley, I enjoyed the Starcraft 2 piece but I would have loved the original games music, I suppose they couldn't have done it as most of the soundtrack is atmospheric electric guitar parts with loads of effects. A medley with in Dune, TA, C&C, Red Alert and Starcraft would be all kinds of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

lBut it was me and some guy in a phoenix wright outfit (Edgeworth) and they were asking me what character I was...

That was me. I'd been before in the UK where there was some great cosplay entries so I'd decided to give it a go. I even tried growing my hair to be able to part it Edgeworth style. So I was a bit disappointed when they told us there was no competition due to lack of entrants. I'd totally have won! (no offence Blitzkreig, it was good to meet you.)

An embarassing side effect of my costume is that it happened to be quite close to the NCH ushers uniforms! Which is why I changed back to my Mario T-shirt asap.

Great show. My favourite part was Martin Leung playing Mario music super fast. Then he plays the time warning jingle. Then plays even faster.. Incredible

freyaplus wrote: »
    Great show. My favourite part was Martin Leung playing Mario music super fast. Then he plays the time warning jingle. Then plays even faster.. Incredible
    The pause/music stops/unpause bit he puts in is a good laugh too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Have had an urge to play ff vii for some reason....

allanb49 wrote: »
    Have had an urge to play ff vii for some reason....

i had a similar urge after the show...so much in fact that I opted to put my ps2 in my luggage for london when originally it was gonna go in storage...might actually bother to complete the two kingdom heart games now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i had a similar urge after the show...so much in fact that I opted to put my ps2 in my luggage for london when originally it was gonna go in storage...might actually bother to complete the two kingdom heart games now.

Also got similar urges but for the 3D Castlevania game.

I don't even know it's name but it looked class. I played one of 2D ones on the NES I think as a kid but never followed the series

Sorry I didn't as it looked really good.

Advertisement