Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms renewal question.

Options
  • 04-08-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

In section 4.1 lads in the new firearms renewal application form, it asks to state the maximum number of rounds of ammunition apllied for. I wanted to know what lads with rifles r putting down there, as I have a 223 myself and do a bit of target work at home and lamping and the odd bunny...At the moment I have a limit of I think 100, and would be reat if i could increase to say 500 or there abouts.

thanks lads..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Are you "allowed" to do target work at home anymore? I thought it was just "zeroing" and target work to be done at the range?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For hunting that should be ok going on the information posted by Des Crofton on the NARGC website

Personaly going for 600 cartridges
    200 bullets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's probably allright.
    Let's wait until the guidelines are signed off on by the Minister before making proclamations, because whatever Des leaks right now, may not be what we all have to work with next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kay 9 wrote: »
    ..........it asks to state the maximum number of rounds of ammunition apllied for. I wanted to know what lads with rifles r putting down there.........At the moment I have a limit of I think 100, and would be reat if i could increase to say 500.......

Its down to individual choice. Don't look for 500, 600,1000.... if they are going to sit in your safe for months on end. The average price for a box of centrefire bullets (.223 to .308) is about €36 - €40. 500 rounds = 25 boxes = €900 - €1000. I know its no harm to have a small amount put aside for when times are tight but i'm basing my amounts on cost and usage.

Target work for .22lr and shotgun (clays) eats up the ammo but for the big calibres at most i'd fire 20-30 rounds (except competitions) with the 6.5 and .308 and with the 30-06 i'd use 5 maybe 10 on a good day as its for deer hunting only.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

It's a bit different with .22lr target work as the lads doing international-level training tend to get batch tested ammo, and there you're limited by how much the factory will sell to you. 10,000 is the lowest I've heard of so far, so that's how much you have to ask for unless you have a very helpful firearms dealer to hand. Similarly for air rifle, 500 is the real minimum (that's one tin of pellets) and 5,000 is about as low as a training air rifle shooter should be asking for (that's one sleeve of tins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, under section 2.3 from what i understand i dont need any referees for my current firearm.

Would I be right??

But I am after buying a new rifle and have my application form filled out for it but have no idea who they want as a referee.:confused:

We hope you're right moose, and we've been told by the DoJ that that's the case; we've not seen the Commissioner's Guidelines yet and they'll be very influential in this; but the definitive word on this is from your local Superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Nice one i met him(super) sat and was telling him about buying a new rifle and if i could send in my application he told me to drop it in when i had it filled in. I might drop into him tomorrow and see who he wants so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

johngalway wrote: »
    Are you "allowed" to do target work at home anymore? I thought it was just "zeroing" and target work to be done at the range?
    Interesting, I never knew that before John, so its a crime to shoot at targets on our own land? Alot of lads around my area are not aware of this and I wasn't until now.
    Thanks,,:) Although, I suppose if i was questioned on the subject , I could say it takes a half a day to zero it eh;) Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Interesting, I never knew that before John, so its a crime to shoot at targets on our own land?

When I went for a licence for my first gun (.22lr) The F.O. asked what I planned using it for. I told him vermin and from time to time target's on the farms I have permission to shoot on. He didn't have any problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

johngalway wrote: »

I know a few lads that spend the day Zeroing in the garden.............yes garda still tweaking....

I know a few lads that spend the day Zeroing in the garden.............yes garda still tweaking....

Lol.

The only reason I commented was I do remember discussion about that topic before, unsure how it turned out in the end but I'd not like to see anyone put something down on official forms that maybe they shouldn't be, you know? Maybe someone can clarify it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Neeearly there gaurd, another day or two should just about have it right:D

Not "Gaurd", "Firearms Range Inspector".
    And we've been told zeroing is okay.
    It's just that there's nothing in writing to say that and there's no definition of zeroing anywhere. So if you tick off someone, there's no protection at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Originally Posted by Tackleberry.
    "I know a few lads that spend the day Zeroing in the garden.............yes garda still tweaking...."

Oh fiddle-sticks, I forgot to take the coriolis effect into account:rolleyes:.

Better start again to be sure:D

Someday they'll learn to publish guidelines etc before they spew out forms - with deadlines to meet.

I'm preparing for that day as there's a real danger of dropping dead of shock.

Thanks for all the replies lads, it sure is a sticky situation I guess, but I'm gonna keep hitting paper anyway. Besides my scope is always losin "zero" :D

Sparks wrote: »
    It's a bit different with .22lr target work as the lads doing international-level training tend to get batch tested ammo, and there you're limited by how much the factory will sell to you. 10,000 is the lowest I've heard of so far, so that's how much you have to ask for unless you have a very helpful firearms dealer to hand. Similarly for air rifle, 500 is the real minimum (that's one tin of pellets) and 5,000 is about as low as a training air rifle shooter should be asking for (that's one sleeve of tins).

Was talking to one of those lads. He told me buys 50,000 rounds at a time. He has an arrangement with a friendly dealer who imports them for him then he buys a bit at a time. Thing is he goes over to Eley's factory to batch test the rounds through his rifle. some set up. Anyway i can see how he needs that much and as a profession its necessary. I shoot at most 4,000 (.22) per month. Eley match at €10 per box = ouch to the pocket. But thing is i buy the same each week whether i shoot them or not so as to have plenty in reserve. So i was initially thinking 2,000 -2,500 but thing is i was nervous of putting a huge amount (as i thought) on the application incase in drew unnecessary attention to me, but in the end i need what i need and if they don't approve and grant me half i won't be happy but will have to work around it. As i said before its better then the 500 on my recently expired license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

...... Besides my scope is always losin "zero" :D

Whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

moose112 wrote: »
    Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, under section 2.3 from what i understand i dont need any referees for my current firearm.

Would I be right??

But I am after buying a new rifle and have my application form filled out for it but have no idea who they want as a referee.:confused:

As it is not stated who is a valid referee on the form I will be using my wife and son. They now know me well enough by now.

As for the ammo limit I will ask for 2000 rounds of 22lr that's only 4 bricks and 1000 (not that I'd be able to afford it) for the other calibres that are used for vermin and target and stalking and target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Sounds absolutely sensible to me. After all, if the wife and kids don't know that you're safe with a firearm, then who does:)

Anytime I had to have a referee for an application they couldn't be related to me. Anyway, I have it in my mind to ask a farmer I shoot for who is extremely happy with the job I do :D I'm not sure on the second referee as yet, maybe a local business owner to balance it out.

As for the ammo limit, am undecided. I'd be happy enough with 200 for each the .22lr/.223/12ga. Perhaps a little more for the .22 & 12ga if it were possible.

Never hurts to grease the wheels, a little dropsey, brown envelope, wink wink, nod nod. If that doesn't work ground the young fellow and take away the wives credit card until they sign the referee section.:D

fat-tony wrote: »
    Sounds absolutely sensible to me. After all, if the wife and kids don't know that you're safe with a firearm, then who does:)

Its normally the case where your referee's can't be related to you.

Doesn't say that on the form, in the SIs or in the Act though zara - the only thing I can see is that the form says no Gardai can be used as referees, which is daft to me because we're all already signed off on by our local Super who ought to have at least checked out our background. And I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one or two people out there who'll have personal security issues with this one.

Its normally the case where your referee's can't be related to you.
    Yes - that's for all kinds of things to do with money laundering and general "dodgieness" etc., but we've made the point constantly through the FCP that your immediate family are probably the best judges of how stable you might be in owning and handling a firearm. As they are not excluded on the form at the moment, why not use them? The awaited guidelines may say different, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

ezridax wrote: »
    Never hurts to grease the wheels, a little dropsey, brown envelope, wink wink, nod nod. If that doesn't work ground the young fellow and take away the wives credit card until they sign the referee section.:D

Your wife has a credit card. :eek:

:D NOT IN THIS HOUSE :D

clivej wrote: »
    Your wife has a credit card. :eek:

:D NOT IN THIS HOUSE :D
    Now here's a real man:D

Sparks wrote: »
    Doesn't say that on the form, in the SIs or in the Act though zara - the only thing I can see is that the form says no Gardai can be used as referees, which is daft to me because we're all already signed off on by our local Super who ought to have at least checked out our background. And I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one or two people out there who'll have personal security issues with this one.

true - I'm just saying its normal practice to exclude family members for any kind of reference, so don't be surprised if it turns up on the guidelines!

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    Whats up with that?

I don't know myself ezridax, but it gives me an extra challenge to actually zero it, so it can take up to a couple of days to sight her in:D I must look into a new piece of kit i guess.. thanks for replies lads:)

Advertisement