Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Will Insure a Female with Full Aussie License, Resident Less Than 3 years?

• 04-08-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

My girlfriend and I are from Australia and am currently living and working in Dublin. My girlfriend is looking to get a car, since she needs it for her line of work. We have been looking into insurance but have found it extremely hard to actually find a company who will quote her, let alone insure her. The only companies we have found to be successful so far are AA and Quinn Direct.

She:
    -Has had a FULL Australian license for 4 years (which is equal to a FULL Irish License says the insurance companies)
    -Has been a resident of Ireland for LESS than 3 years
    -Has 3 years named driver experience on an Australian Policy
    -Will be buying a car =/less than €1000

Many of the assumptions companies use to quote disqualify her as she has not been a resident for long enough. Quinn won't do comprensive as the car isn't worth enough. Quinn do use the Named Driver Experience to discount the policy, but AA don't.

So who knows of any companies who will insure her, preferably comprehensively and at discounted premium due to her named driving experience..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So who knows of any companies who will insure her, preferably comprehensively and at discounted premium due to her named driving experience..?

Why would you bother looking for comprehensive insurance if the car is only worth a grand or less? :confused:

You'll be covered for third party, fire and theft - isn't that enough if you're driving a banger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GreenPlastic

I read that Third Party won't cover medical expenses of the driver, or am I mistaken? Insurance isn't compulsory in Australia and Third Party is covered in our driving license fee.

We aren't rolling in cash, and although the car isn't worth much, pay an extra €200 or so for comprehensive means we won't have to find another €1000 incase something happens?

I read that Third Party won't cover medical expenses of the driver, or am I mistaken? Insurance isn't compulsory in Australia and Third Party is covered in our driving license fee.

We aren't rolling in cash, and although the car isn't worth much, pay an extra €200 or so for comprehensive means we won't have to find another €1000 incase something happens?

From looking at Quinn's homepage, they do only pay medical expenses if you're fully comprehensive.
    You could always get health insurance with Quinn and that would cover you. They may drop the cost of the car insurance if you get health insurance with them too.

Unless taking out health insurance dramatically reduces our motor premium, it's not an option. We don't need health insurance atm... Motor only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Have you tried Hibernian?
    They have a course - Ignition. If you pass it you could get a discount.
    It might be worth giving them a call.

As you have found out, it is very difficult for a non-Irish citizen to get insurance here. And if you do, it will cost you. I would be interested to know what the quotes are that you have got so far. Over €2K?

Have you thought about changing your licence to an Irish licence?

• Advertisement

Unless taking out health insurance dramatically reduces our motor premium, it's not an option. We don't need health insurance atm... Motor only.

It might be worth investigating though.
    You can't get fully comp but the only reason you're looking for fully comp is to cover driver injuries..... therefore, what value do you put on coverage for driver inuries?

The quotes we have got are just over €900 for comprehensive with AA, and €680 for Thrid Party (with discount) with Quinn.

Changing our licences to Irish ones is only half the battle, most of the time, the insurers need you to be a citizen for more than 3 years too...

Heroditas wrote: »
    It might be worth investigating though.
    You can't get fully comp but the only reason you're looking for fully comp is to cover driver injuries..... therefore, what value do you put on coverage for driver inuries?

To cover driver injuries and the cost of a replacement car. I'll look into it and see what comes up...

But does anyone know of any other companies we could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The quotes we have got are just under €900 for comprehensive with AA, and €680 for Thrid Party (with discount) with Quinn.

Changing our licences to Irish ones is only half the battle, most of the time, the insurers need you to be a citizen for more than 3 years too...

Those quotes are not bad.

I paid over €2K TPFT for an old banger (Suzuki Swift - except there was nothing swift about it :D).
    At that stage I had my full licence for 15 years, but I had been in Ireland for less than a year, so the insurance companies told me that they would not take anything before I moved here into consideration. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

My son went to Australia for 2 years,had his own car and insurance in his name,but when he came home he could not get insurance due to his absence from the State.The only way possible was to put him on my cars insurance which I did.Sorry but youll have to weather the storm Bogs

• Advertisement

The quotes we have got are just under €900 for comprehensive with AA, and €680 for Thrid Party (with discount) with Quinn.

That's actually very good.
    I'd go with the AA quote. You'll be doing well to do better than that.

Ooops I mean just over €900 :S

Edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Holders of licences issued by recognised states

Ireland has agreements with certain other countries/states that designates them as recognised states for the purposes of driving licence exchange. These are:

Australia
    Gibraltar
    Guernsey
    Isle of Man
    Japan
    Jersey
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Switzerland

If you are a holder of a licence issued by one of these states you can drive in Ireland when visiting, providing your licence is valid. If you become normally resident in Ireland, you can drive for up to 12 months from the date of becoming resident, as long as your licence has not expired. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within one year of your driving licence expiring.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

^^^

I already know this. As I said, it's only half the problem. No offence, but if it would have helped, I would have done it already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

If you get stuck, try Clements International
    http://www.clements.com/expatriate/international_auto/overview.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

To be fair, if you can hardly afford a €900 insurance policy, buying a sub-€1000 car is going to cost you more than you think to maintain and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I read that Third Party won't cover medical expenses of the driver, or am I mistaken?
    Nor does comp, the only difference between TPF&T and comp is that comp also covers your car. In both cases third parties are covered but not the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

^^^

I already know this. As I said, it's only half the problem. No offence, but if it would have helped, I would have done it already....

It would help if she ever gets stopped by the police, legally she would be driving without a valid driving license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

have you tried an insurance broker, Try Sheridan insurance in Wexford.

Advertisement