Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather!

• 04-08-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

What the hell is going on, do I have to buy one of those stupid underwater glass bubble thingies that make your camera look like some episode of stingray?

I was in Cork & Kerry the bank holiday weekend and I variously suffered from the following photography problems.

Flare: yeah there were times I feckin’ thought I needed one to send up as the puddles, Nae! Lakes on the road were in danger of making us drown.

Rule of Thirds: So I was clever, I brought an umbrella but the wind saw that is was practically useless, I was variously in thirds starting at the feet and working up.

First third: super saturated and in danger of trench foot.
    Middle third: just good old fashioned wet through from blown rain
    Top third: to steal the only word I can use to describe this sensation of being hit by rain so light it blows under and upwards into your face like a light mist. If anyone remembers that sitcom Will & Grace, there was a word called primping that Jack used to argue was a real word, the name for a light spray of refreshing water in the face. Well I was well and truly Primped off!

35mm: The average rainfall in a minute

Exposure Issues: Don’t wear Black and stand, sheltering from rain against a black wall in Kenmare at 12.00 am. Because you get some guy with his lad halfway out, staggering towards you in preparation, who practically jumps 5 feet when you bellow at him and runs back to tell folks he’s see ‘Ol Nick’ himself. And you hear the chorus of disdain at them saying “shut-up Gerard and put it away, we don’t care whatcha call it”

Compositional Problems: Anyone who knows Muckross House will attest it’s a fine demise might buy it myself some day just to put Cork flags all over it on match days. But anyway the rain stopped momentarily. I suspect it is like Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh and even rain needs a breath but you have to be fierce fast to catch that moment. Well it was there. And the dark black clouds were half way down the mountains that fringe the lakes making it look more like Machu Picchu than Kerry. B&W film with an orange filter, this was going to be good, The shot was framed so in the corner was Muckross House and the Dark Gothic sky straight out of the hounds of the Baskervilles or some other classic movie of that ilk rushing towards it with menace. I mean Spielberg would have creamed himself. Looking down through viewfinder (TLR) Focus, frame and Arggh! A spandex coated American strolled into shot. Patience till they moved on. Reset, then in my ear another mid western drawl “Wow my father had one of those..” politely chat for a few seconds and resume, to find a busload of tourists on the lawn taking pictures. Waiting for an eternity they start to move as the first golf ball size drops start to fall and then with a fury only power showers normally achieve it descended again for 2 days!

Depth of Field Issues: They should put a sign on the grass in Killarney National Park along the lines of “do not walk on the grass unless you want to sink up to your ankles in Kerry bog”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Simplicius wrote: »
    Depth of Field Issues: They should put a sign on the grass in Killarney National Park along the lines of “do not walk on the grass unless you want to sink up to your ankles in Kerry bog”

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Kerry isn't that Bad,Had sunshine here this evening ;)

Advertisement