Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lois Therdeax in Johanseburg

Options
  • 04-08-2009 9:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else watching this? the crime is shocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Yeah, I used to work with a S.A. guy and had some charming stories about J'Berg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone else watching this? the crime is shocking.

What channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

woh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

watching it now, pretty frightening to think that i'll be building a school there next summer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What channel?

RTÉ TWO why in Reality TV? is this not a TV documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ TWO why in Reality TV? is this not a TV documentary?

Amazingly, there is no documentary forum.

See here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055640912

/self plug... wait what?

Amazingly, there is no documentary forum.

See here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055640912

/self plug... wait what?

Don't demote documentaries to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I lived in Joberg for six months and while it is very dangerous, it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. The first night I spent there I was in a (very average) restaurant with compound car parking and an armed guard at the entrance, it was like something froma nightmare! Very quickly you learn how to behave, like never asking anybody on the street for directions, and to be reluctant about using outdoor/ unguarded cash machines, for example. One thing that we don't appreciate enough about living in Europe is that you aren't always looking over your shoulder, in Joberg, or even Cape Town, people are always thinking about family being mugged if they simply get in the car and go to work or go shopping, or kids on the way to school being harassed up for money. Crime is the biggest negative about that country by far.

I saw the Louis Thereaux documentary and thought it was very interesting but bear in mind it is for tv and will only ever focus on the most dramatic aspects of life. South Africa in general is somewhat racist and somewhat dangerous, but it's not as bad as it might have looked in that documentary.

Very quickly you learn how to behave, like never asking anybody on the street for directions, and to be reluctant about using outdoor/ unguarded cash machines, for example.

And that isn't dramatic :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

His name is spelt Louis Theroux,,,jesus christ

His Weird Weekends prgorammes were brilliant

Advertisement