Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EX-Racehorse to Riding horse class at RDS

Options
  • 04-08-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anyone going to have a look at or interested in the Ex-racehorse to riding horse class at RDS on Sat.There be Kicking King, Moscow Flyer, Brave Inca and Colonel Rayburn.They will all go head to head at the RDS.I think it be great opportunity to see some of Ireland’s most famous ex-racehorses battle it out in an RDS show ring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I cant get away from work but I'd love to see them.
    Some of the best national hunt horses that have been trained in Ireland.
    Its a great thing to encourage with many horses leaving training every year. I always wrongly presumed that thoroughbreds would be too sharp for everyday riding. They just need schooling and patience.
    In saying that, as a six footer carrying a few lb's more than I should:D, riding a poor thoroughbred might be bordering on cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

I cant really afford to head in to the horse show this year but that is a class I would like to see :)
    I think ex racers are seen in the wrong light alot of the time as mad skittish horses but for most horses in the right hands and with patience they can be retrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You're right, I think there alot of misguided preconceptions about TBs in general, especially those who have raced. I've ony ridden TBs for the last 15 years and I wouldn't go back to a half bred now if I was paid! They're so intelligent, willing and athletic.

And all our ex point-to-pointers have had no problems doing anything asked of them after their racing career - they've shown and evented successfully, in addition to making fantastic hunters. My last point-to-pointer went showjumping the weekend after he ran his last race and jumped a double clear showjumping and had several prospective buyers that day!!

While part of me thinks this class is a good idea, there's another part of me that feels it's just been done to raise the profile of the IHWT and put it forward as the only place that can re-train racehorses. It seems that successful TB show horses, such as Tachemegandi (don't think my spelling is quite right - sorry!) who was so successful at the RDS a few years ago, and who came from a racing background, seem almost to have been forgotten, not to mention the work of those who schooled and prepared them. Moreover, the fact that the pony classes (apart from the working hunter classes) have been axed in favour of competitions, such as the ex-racehorse class, the FEHL and CT classes, doesn't do anything to endear them to me.

I was so pleased that Brave Inca won today. I've followed him racing for years (since before he got famous!!) He looked fantastic and gave the judges a lovely ride.

There were huge entries for the class, with 20 horses competing. The ring looked so small! It was lovely to see all the horses looking so well! And the number of people who turned up to watch it was huge: they were 3 and 4 deep around the ring in places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Was it just IHWT horses entered in it?

• Advertisement

No, the IHWT had 4 horses entered, but the remaining 16 were owned by other individuals, which was great to see. A number of the horses were also entered in other classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

I managed to make it in to see this class and I really enjoyed it. I was glad Brave Inca won it. He was very well behaved during the class. Was a very large class too and Id say it was hard enough for some of the horses to resist racing each other ;) It was packed all around the ring I think alot of people turned up just to see them.

Hopefully it will help promote the TB's.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

AIRC has an ex-racehorse class at the festival every year. Moscow Flyer has even visited. These classes can only do good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jackell

it was good alrite! hope they run the class again next year,20 in the class,very good turnout.who was 2nd n 3rd? heard Brave Inca won,Kicking King 4th and Moscow Flyer 5th. Liked the way they gave the people bit of info about the horse's.

I can't remember who was 2nd - it was a nice grey horse - and Castle Native was 3rd. All 3 showed themselves really well.

I actually wasn't too impressed that they announced the horses' names when the judges were riding and judging them in hand. The judges aren't supposed to know who owns the horses while they're being judged (though in the racehorse class it's not quite as easy, it's the principle). The additional information should be in the catalogue. The owner and breeder were also announced during other classes, too, both of which were in the catalogue. There were quite a number of people who weren't all that impressed, either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement