Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settled fly half?

• 04-08-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi folks,

just wondered has everyone got a settled fly half at this stage? Those playing in their second season anyway?

My first choice guy even with a kicking rating of admirable is really getting on my tits at the moment. He misses a serious amount of conversions especially. Last night against Orizio's boys he missed 3 from 3. I know it was bucketing rain but he has a poor enough record in general. Think i may need to focus more training on him. Im loath to use kicking sessions as i see them as a waste of sessions, but what do you guys think?

He is one of the few remaining players in my squad that i have had since i took over the team so i dont want to give him his p45 just yet as hes not a bad playmaker as such and id hate to waste the work i put into him to get him from 6500csr approx to where he is now, 10890csr and rising steadily.

What you guys think?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'm at about the same stage, and I don't see any of my players as being long-term keepers. Everyone is on borrowed time, until the finances are good enough to get the academy producing real talent (ie 20k+ at 17 years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm at about the same stage, and I don't see any of my players as being long-term keepers. Everyone is on borrowed time, until the finances are good enough to get the academy producing real talent (ie 20k+ at 17 years).

Your not putting 20k into your YA are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Think he ment 20000csr...could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What age is he?

I have a player who has excellent line out stats but is forever dropping the ball at line out time. Also when a promising move breaks down he's always the one knocking it on or chucking it forward. I've read because the younger players lack experience they're more prone to mistakes so i persevere with my lad being 18 and all. Don't know how true this is or if it varies from player to player but it might explain it. The pressure just gets to him:)

I put a min if 3 kicking sessions per week. My guy is admirable and never really misses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Does technique have anything to do with performance? i.e. does a good technique enhance all other stats? My kicker has just gotten to admirable, but he misses his fair share...his technique is poor enough though...in fact it's "horrible" :D

Yeah, I've noticed that.

Players with good technique become more accurate in whatever they are doing, ie scrums set pieces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Technique has no bearing on kicking whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

corny wrote: »
    What age is he?

I have a player who has excellent line out stats but is forever dropping the ball at line out time. Also when a promising move breaks down he's always the one knocking it on or chucking it forward. I've read because the younger players lack experience they're more prone to mistakes so i persevere with my lad being 18 and all. Don't know how true this is or if it varies from player to player but it might explain it. The pressure just gets to him:)

Hes 19 and id love to give him a boot up the hole!

jprender wrote: »
    Technique has no bearing on kicking whatsoever.

Are you sure about that?

From my understanding, good technique reduces the probability of error.
    So if you an outhalf with amazing kicking, but poor technique, he will make shots but not as many as if he had better technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Are you sure about that?

From my understanding, good technique reduces the probability of error.
    So if you an outhalf with amazing kicking, but poor technique, he will make shots but not as many as if he had better technique.

No I think he is right. As far as i know tech is purely in scrums rucks and L.O.s. Its like knowing where to hit someone in a ruck, when to hook a ball in a scrum etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Does technique have anything to do with performance? i.e. does a good technique enhance all other stats? My kicker has just gotten to admirable, but he misses his fair share...his technique is poor enough though...in fact it's "horrible" :D

As far as I can tell, technique for backs dictates how good they are at keeping possession in a ruck, avioding and making turnovers basically. Same thing for forwards, except for the front row where it also relates to the scrum.

As such, if you concede lots of turnovers, penalties and lose rucks then usually its a lack of technique amongst your first 15.

Technique along with defense and stamina, are the things most important to improve when getting promoted. Poor technique will be seriously found out against the best sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Anyway, the answer is yes, I do have a settled 10. I bought him for 8k when he had 10k CSR and decided he would be my fly. He is now 16 or 17k CSR. kicking 10. Hands 9. Stamina 10. with all other fly-half stats being good enough. He has scored over 250 points and best of all: He is 116kg:D

Advertisement