Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what is it with Dubliners and horrendous first names?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

It must be asked! (and not for the first time)

I was listening to the wireless today and somebody with a real inner city Dublin accent came on and was talking about the baby she had today. Yes, it is lovely that the kid was healthy etc.

Anyway, to the point!

I surmised from her accent that it wasn't looking good for the poor leanbh's name. I was guessing Assumpta, Concepta, Rose-Violet, Attracta, Dympna, Georgina, Cecilia or some other you-cannot-be-serious name loved by a certain section of Dublin society that make Matt Talbot's afflictions seem mild.

Chelsea!!!!! She called her child Chelsea. What a raging advertisement of social/cultural/educational disadvantage that has been afflicted on the child.

How on earth can these sort of names be "cool" or even "nice" never mind "lovely" to this section of Dublin society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rebelheart wrote: »
    What a raging advertisement of social/cultural/educational disadvantage that has been afflicted on the child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What's wrong with Georgina?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I surmised from her accent that it wasn't looking good for the poor leanbh's name. I was guessing Assumpta, Concepta, Rose-Violet, Attracta, Dympna, Georgina, Cecilia or some other you-cannot-be-serious name loved by a certain section of Dublin society that make Matt Talbot's afflictions seem mild.

Chelsea!!!!! She called her child Chelsea
    Attracta? Dear God, pop culture has well and truly taken hold. I pity these children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

She can't have been from the north inner city, otherwise it would have been Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

So what is it with culchies and the horrendous GAA anyway? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Now I've got "Chelsea Dagger" stuck in my head.

Thanks a lot, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Maybe the thread title is misleading,should it not be about Dublin Scumbags' names?All the normal people i know have normal names...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Elessar wrote: »
    So what is it with culchies and the horrendous GAA anyway? :pac:

Oh Dear God, not another one of these.... (Bangs head repeatedly off table!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Chelsea is pretty popular for a girl in America. When Bon Jovi released Midnight in Chelsea the general reaction was one of horror, and not because of the music for once. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Yes, Bill and Hillary Clinton were also inner city scum bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Whats up with country people being called PJ?.....its even worse when there is more than one of them in the same house.

For every Dublin problem there is a country equivilent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Expresso Bongo

It's called being an individual and thinking for yourself. Other countries have been doing it for years and now Dublin is catching on and hopefully demonstrating to the rest here of the amazing possibilities involved with choosing a name for your kids.

Better than what the rest of the country seem to be happy in doing i.e. calling every child they have after your parents so before you know it there's 50,000 Mary O'Sullivans and 60,000 John Murphys (and variations of the same) populating around a country with less than 5,000,000 people in it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Jacintaaaaaa, I want ya!

There's a rough area in my town and the vast majority of the inhabitants there are named Martin, Michael, Philomena or Jacinta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

It's called being an individual and thinking for yourself. Other countries have been doing it for years and now Dublin is catching on and hopefully demonstrating to the rest here of the amazing possibilities involved with choosing a name for your kids.

Better than what the rest of the country seem to be happy in doing i.e. calling every child they have after your parents so before you know it there's 50,000 Mary O'Sullivans and 60,000 John Murphys (and variations of the same) populating around a country with less than 5,000,000 people in it. :rolleyes:

Yes seeing as its still 1970 down here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

But there's some kinda red-blooded stout hearted hard-man feel behind John Murphy.

Attracta O' Sullivan just seems knackery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Since when did being an individual and thinking for yourself involve ripping of American trends?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was listening to the wireless today and somebody with a real inner city Dublin accent came on and was talking about the baby she had today. Yes, it is lovely that the kid was healthy etc.

Anyway, to the point!

Chelsea!!!!! She called her child Chelsea. What a raging advertisement of social/cultural/educational disadvantage that has been afflicted on the child.

How on earth can these sort of names be "cool" or even "nice" never mind "lovely" to this section of Dublin society?
    What's your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know a girl called Gertrude

she's relatively hot, but you just couldn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I heard a little skanger in the Square being called back to its mother - "Fabrizio, cuh-MEEYA":confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Yes, Bill and Hillary Clinton were also inner city scum bags.

Doesnt Bertie have a Cecillia and a Georgina?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I know a Chelsea, a Chelcea and a Chelsey.

Whats wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mr.Pong

Anyway, to the point!

I've never known any Dub to called those names. ''Chelsea'' is more of an English thing anyway.

Culchies shouldn't be jealous of Dubs just because they're all called Sean or Mary, or maybe at a stretch, Jimmy John Joe.

and at least Dubs don't refer to their parents as ''mammy and daddy'' at the age of 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mr.Pong wrote: »
    Culchies shouldn't be jealous of Dubs just because they're all called Sean or Mary, or maybe at a stretch, Jimmy John Joe.

and at least Dubs don't refer to their parents as ''mammy and daddy'' at the age of 50.

Oh dear.

Go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

What the? Since when are Georgina, Cecelia and Chelsea considered knacker names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

RonMexico wrote: »
    Since when did being an individual and thinking for yourself involve ripping of American trends?

don't you mean big brother trends? chantelle etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mr.Pong wrote: »

Well we couldn't address them by their first names, there are already too many Seans and Marys about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

jumpguy wrote: »
    Attracta? Dear God, pop culture has well and truly taken hold. I pity these children.

Aren't Attracta, Assumpta, Jacinta etc rather old names though? I'd associate them with current 50 years olds rather than kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well we couldn't address them by their first names, there are already too many Seans and Marys about.

Or if they have stupid names, it'd be hard not to laugh when addressing them - my mom and dad are called Yvette and Denis :eek:

• Advertisement

Ma and Da would suffice!:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement