Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what is it with Dubliners and horrendous first names?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

what about Jatcinta or however it is spelt! awful names made me laugh...but the last 2 or 3 on your list are nice names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I want to name my kids a mixture of names that don't go with my very Irishy surname just to confuse people; Ryu, Brad, Valentina, Lashonda, Perez, Keiko, Shantamiqua, Edward...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Why do so many Dubliners assume that everywhere outside Dublin is countryside? I live in Limerick, a city!

Stupid elitest attitude. It just highlights some people's ignorance.

*prepares for Limerick bashing*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

herya wrote: »
    Aren't Attracta, Assumpta, Jacinta etc rather old names though? I'd associate them with current 50 years olds rather than kids?

Hello, the 30's are on the line.
    They want their names back.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Anyway, my kids are all named Donatello, Raphaello, michaelangelo and Leonardo after some of the greatest turtles of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I heard a ridiculous first name but can't for the life of me remember yet. And it was a Dubliner I think.

It's usually a last name - some genius decided to vica-versafy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

one of my second cousins is called julian.
    Blah! God help the poor boy.. I really dont like that name!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I surmised from her accent that it wasn't looking good for the poor leanbh's name. I was guessing Assumpta, Concepta, Rose-Violet, Attracta, Dympna, Georgina, Cecilia or some other you-cannot-be-serious name loved by a certain section of Dublin society that make Matt Talbot's afflictions seem mild.

lol i know a dublin woman called Assumpta but also know a roscommon woman called concepta :eek:

one of my second cousins is called julian.
    Blah! God help the poor boy.. I really dont like that name!

could be worse he could be called julian dicks like this guy
    http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00094/SNS1465A_94112a.jpg

Why do so many Dubliners assume that everywhere outside Dublin is countryside? I live in Limerick, a city!

Stupid elitest attitude. It just highlights some people's ignorance.

*prepares for Limerick bashing*

you are confusing the poor people, posters from dublin on here don't even know what a benbulben or an inishowen is :eek: just pretend that limerick is a big field of cows and it will be easier :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

*waves hand frantically* "I know I know!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Anyway, my kids are all named Donatello, Raphaello, michaelangelo and Leonardo after some of the greatest turtles of all time.

Always knew you were a rat...

>.>

<.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Aragh lads, come on now...

In the grand scheme of things, everyone in Ireland is a bogger. We should be proud of it! Our general sunburnt neck and giddy chat nature is what sets us apart! Sure, what other place would argue about their independent socio economic identities like this? Our country is 3 hours wide and 8 hours long... It's all very silly really!
    The world looks on and laughs at our funny taoiseach, wonders whether leprachauns do exist here and if we speak like Tom Cruise in Far and Away.

Let's unite!!!! Marys and Ceclia's, Paddy's and Guy's all together now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Thats just silly......

Everyone knows leprechauns are extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Britteney an RHEEESSS c'min fer yisser dinnea! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

brummytom wrote: »
    I know a Chelsea, a Chelcea and a Chelsey.

Whats wrong with it?

That not one of the bastids will suck your c0ck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mr.Pong wrote: »
    Go on.

You expected me to respond to that crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zGeek

Gumpert is a nice traditional Irish name...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I always thought the most common dublin name was Roish, taken from the classic irish word meaning correct with a splash of south side D4 pretence added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know a girl called Gertrude

she's relatively hot, but you just couldn't

Abbreviate it to Durty Gertie and work away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I call spoof on Jacinta and Philomena.

I'm in my 30s and grew up in a very working class part of Dublin and never knew (or heard of) anybody with either name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

in keeping with irish tradition, if i ever have kids they'll be named after saints or apostles!!! Except for you Judas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I heard a little skanger in the Square being called back to its mother - "Fabrizio, cuh-MEEYA":confused:

LOL. I know a kid called Fabrizio.

Funnily enough his da is Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What the hell? Those names are from the 1930s OP :confused:

It's all about little Tyler, Corey, Dylan and Brad now

Also quite a large percentage of first years in my school last year were called Chantelle and Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Anto and deco would knife them.
    Knife? You're confusing Dublin with another county in Ireland. That should be 'shoot' not 'knife'. Dublin crims are very advanced these days, unlike their spear-chucking cousins! :cool: :pac:

As for names, well sure, in the past Dublin used a lot of older Irish saints names for their children as did the country folk. The Dubs just chose different saints names to those of the country folk.

For the record, I'm a Dub and I never knew anyone with those names, my Mam knew a girl called Philomena but tons of her country cousins were called PJ, so much so that they were actually called 'PJ from the hill', or 'PJ by the post office' or 'PJ that lives near the ditch' to differentiate them! :pac:

I also worked with a Galway girl who went out with an AJ, followed by an MJ. Needless to say when she was with AJ we'd ask her: 'So, did AJ get a BJ last night...childish but fun.

You just don't get it, do you? Okay, I'm gonna spell it out for everybody here once and for all, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Corkonians should especially take note:

If you are not from Dublin, or the greater Dublin area, then you are a culchie.

That is all. I know you think you're somewhat more civilised than the cattle-drivin', checked-shirt-tucked-into-the-wranglers wearin', plough jockeys that pass for human beings in some of the more godforsaken parts of your various counties (and you may in fact be correct), but to us Dubs, you are all one and the same.
    Assumpta, Concepta, Rose-Violet, Attracta, Dympna, Georgina, Cecilia or some other you-cannot-be-serious name loved by a certain section of Dublin society that make Matt Talbot's afflictions seem mild.

I've neither met nor heard of anybody from Dublin with the first 5 of those names, however I've met 2 Dympnas and 1 Assmpta and they were both culchies. Anecdotal, I know, but there ya go.

They're relatively nice names. Unlike some of the more stereotypically bogland monikers like Francie, John-Joe or Gobnait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

You just don't get it, do you? Okay, I'm gonna spell it out for everybody here once and for all, just so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. Corkonians should especially take note:

If you are not from Dublin, or the greater Dublin area, then you are a culchie.

That is all. I know you think you're somewhat more civilised than the cattle-drivin', checked-shirt-tucked-into-the-wranglers wearin', plough jockeys that pass for human beings in some of the more godforsaken parts of your various counties (and you may in fact be correct), but to us Dubs, you are all one and the same.

hehe. Well, I think every one of us culchies would be quite honoured that at least we are not Jackeens, people named after their enthusiastic affinity for a certain flag of a certain country!

Jackeen what does it mean and where did it originate?:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61877

phasers wrote: »
    What the hell? Those names are from the 1930s OP :confused:

It's all about little Tyler, Corey, Dylan and Brad now

Also quite a large percentage of first years in my school last year were called Chantelle and Shannon

Tyler? Corey? It gets worse! (we've dealt with the uniquely horrid Chantelle already)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    in keeping with irish tradition, if i ever have kids they'll be named after saints or apostles!!! Except for you Judas!!

hehe. I'm going for some of those names that the ultramontane Roman Catholic Church, which was invented in this country in the 19th century, refused to allow Irish parents to christen their children. My own aunt was not allowed to be christened 'Méabh" because Méabh was not a Christian saint (we all know her as Méabh anyway). Feck that. I'm also going to use some of those Irish saints that the Church refused to recognise after the counter-Reformation.

In general using Roman Catholic names and English names are just the plebs licking up to the powers-that-be, and foreign ones at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Anto & Decko.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement