Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch cable gone. Do I need to get to garage? If so how?

• 04-08-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. My 01 polo has been rendered immobile. I'm quite sure it's the clutch cable (the pedal can be pushed to the floor without making it possible to put it into gear and it doesn't spring back when released).

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do in an underground car park (don't have ramps or any tools worth speaking of) to patch it up for long enough to get it to a garage?

If, as I think is likely, this isn't possible does anyone know of any call out mechanics that could do something with it?

I'd rather not have to tow it somewhere as I'm pretty sure that'll cost a fortune. To the best of my knowledge nobody I know is a member of AA.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Oh yeah....I'm in Rathmines, but I'd appreciate if this could be left in the Motors forum because they only seem to talk about the Garda helicopter in the Dublin Forum these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Get your mate to tow it with a tow rope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Quiet possible that its the pedel box that is broken is fairly common on polos im afraid.

If it is it is not a nice job and very expensive so just pray you have a broken cable never seen one break though.

Cheers, it might come to that, but I'd prefer not to. It'd be quite difficult to even get it out of the underground parking garage that it's in now, never mind negotiate the junctions around military road, the canal, etc.

Anyway is it even legal any more?

Quiet possible that its the pedel box that is broken is fairly common on polos im afraid.

If it is it is not a nice job and very expensive so just pray you have a broken cable never seen one break though.

Unfortunately that sounds more plausible than the cable breaking alright. Is there anyway I can even disengage the clutch to get it into first so that I can get it to the nearest mechanic (who sensing my predicament will proceed to bend me over a barrel)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Evil_g wrote: »
    Unfortunately that sounds more plausible than the cable breaking alright. Is there anyway I can even disengage the clutch to get it into first so that I can get it to the nearest mechanic (who sensing my predicament will proceed to bend me over a barrel)?

cant you just start it with you foot on the clutch while it is in first gear?,or can you not select gear at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Evil_g wrote: »

The clutch is dissengaged unless you know how to drive a car with no clutch I wouldnt advise it you need the clutch pedel to disengage the drive between the engine and gearbox.

Get someone to tow you with a rope is the handiest solution

bladebrew wrote: »
    cant you just start it with you foot on the clutch while it is in first gear?,or can you not select gear at all?

Can't select gear at all I'm afraid. Pressing the clutch pedal does nothing. Even if it sprang back I'd suspect that the cable needed tightening but it just stays down until I pull it back with my toe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Sounds like your clutch is actually engaged all the time.

In answer to your main question, it is possible that the car could be driven by someone who knows how to deal with this situation, but I would, with the greatest respect to your driving skills, humbly suggest you get it towed/carried to a workshop for repairs.

Much safer :)

Fishtits wrote: »

Much safer :)

I know it's safer, but I'm looking for a cheap/lazy solution:)

What would MacGyver do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

Who are you insured with? you may have breakdown insurance as part of your car insurance. I know quinn have it on all their policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thats illegal. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

How is towing a car illegal. This sort of thing happened all the time in times gone by. You start the car in 1st gear drive along pull it into neutral when you need to brake. Turn off the engine and start in 1st gear and along you go, you can rev the engine up a bit and even change gear too without a clutch pedal. It takes a bit of practice but can be done. You can limp to a garage in this fashion. I did this in many vans for a company I worked for, clutch cable failure did not stop you getting to a garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stratos wrote: »
    How is towing a car illegal. This sort of thing happened all the time in times gone by. You start the car in 1st gear drive along pull it into neutral when you need to brake. Turn off the engine and start in 1st gear and along you go, you can rev the engine up a bit and even change gear too without a clutch pedal. It takes a bit of practice but can be done. You can limp to a garage in this fashion. I did this in many vans for a company I worked for, clutch cable failure did not stop you getting to a garage.
    In the old days you could have gotten away with anything, from an untested rust bucket, no seat belts in the rear, to an unregistered car 'For Reg". Today the country has come along way and in line with most other countries.

People still try to get away with towing with ropes but the only case I could see this "permitted" would be trying to pull start a car and at that this will damage any petrol car fitted with a catalytic converter.

Today if your car breaks down you call the AA, a recovery vehicle or get someone to tow you who is licensed and insured to use the correct towing slings otherwise you could end up in trouble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You obviously live in a city.:D Nearly all basic insurance policies cover the towing of a Mechanicaly disabled vehicle I know mine does, There is no specifications noted for the towing equipment. I don't think someone with a broken clutch cable at 1 Am and no mobile phone/signal/flat battery would say not knowing how to drive with an inoperative clutch is a modern day improvement.

Advertisement