Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation between Dublin/Enniscorthy

Options
  • 04-08-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hello:)

This is my first time posting here, hope some kind person can help me out.

Myself and my girlfriend are trying to find accomodation between Dublin (where I am studying next year) and Enniscorthy (where she is working).

We are looking for somewhere which would give is fairly equal distance to get to our respective destinations and figured somewhere in Wicklow would be the best bet. The big question is WHERE? Ashford and Arklow seem to be the most logical places from our point of view, but perhaps somebody here may suggest somewhere different?

The big issues for us are cost (given I am a student and finances will be limited to say the least) and access to public transport - I will have to ditch the car and go back getting buses n trainsfrown.gif

Anyhow, if somebody can offer some assistance we would greatly appreciate it.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The area that sprung to mind when I read this was Arklow but then again I dont know the areas in question very well so Im not really qualified to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

D3PO wrote: »
    The area that sprung to mind when I read this was Arklow but then again I dont know the areas in question very well so Im not really qualified to comment

I know the areas well and I reckon Arklow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Arklow seems quite expensive...how about Baltinglass? Anybody know this area?

V480 wrote: »
    Arklow seems quite expensive...how about Baltinglass? Anybody know this area?

Yes. Not at all handy for her. She needs ye to be on/just off the N11.

It also won't be great for you - hardly an abundance of public transport.

Don't go taking advertised prices as your guide by the way, you'll get far less per month at the moment. What's your budget? What kind of place are you after?

Seeing as you are the student and she's working, if I was ye I'd go just further south (Gorey) if Arklow didn't suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Why stick to the coast?

Living in somewhere like Newbridge / Naas / Kildare would have good transport links and wouldn't be too far from where your girlfriend works.

Unfortunatly either way your GF will have to travel over an hr to work.

• Advertisement

Well we're looking for somewhere in the region of 600 per month (less is possible) and preferably a house, although we would consider an apartment if it was in a decent area with parking.
    I lived in Carlow for 4 years prior to this while she was living in Wexford town so neither of us would no this area at all really...so all help appreciated.

stepbar wrote: »
    Why stick to the coast?

Living in somewhere like Newbridge / Naas / Kildare would have good transport links and wouldn't be too far from where your girlfriend works.

Unfortunatly either way your GF will have to travel over an hr to work.

Not true.

There's a big big difference between travelling to Enniscorthy from Arklow and from Newbridge, Naas or Kildare.

Those options make no sense at all if they're seeking a genuine mid-way point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Well we're looking for somewhere in the region of 600 per month (less is possible) and preferably a house, although we would consider an apartment if it was in a decent area with parking.
    I lived in Carlow for 4 years prior to this while she was living in Wexford town so neither of us would no this area at all really...so all help appreciated.

you're not likely to get a house anywhere close to Dublin for less than 600 - you're pretty much restricting yourself Arklow and Gorey and even there you're not likely to have a huge choice. You're better off looking at apartments at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Hello:)

We are looking for somewhere which would give is fairly equal distance to get to our respective destinations and figured somewhere in Wicklow would be the best bet. The big question is WHERE? Ashford and Arklow seem to be the most logical places from our point of view, but perhaps somebody here may suggest somewhere different?

David

public transport south of wicklow town/Rathnew seems to be dire, although the trains will run up from Gorey, and the 133 sometimes goes on to Arklow.
    The 133 bus service has dramatically improved in recent times.

I live in Wicklow town and LOVE it.

Still no success...most places north of Gorey seem either grossly over-priced or nowhere near any public transport. Things getting a little desperate now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is there anything wrong with Gorey? Seems like a nice spot - long commute to Dublin but it is doable and you can always sleep\study on the train.

Advertisement