Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need advice on lowering car...

• 05-08-2009 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

ok i want to lower my 04 celica vvtli and need some help coz im pretty much in the dark when it comes to this, i also plan on replacing the 16 inch alloys with 18 inch ones, so here are my questions:

(1) should i get it lowered before or after changing the alloys?

(2) how do i know how much to lower it by without damaging suspension, handling etc?

(3) can i get it professionally done by garages?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I would say it would be best to get the wheels fitted first, then you can look at the stance of the car and the clearances. It depends a lot why you want to lower the car. is it to fill up the wheel arches and make the car look better. Bigger wheels may fill up the arches and improve things although the speedo will be out.

If you want to lower the car to improve performance and cornering then lowering springs are the way to go. Eibach make lowering springs for most cars I lowered my car by an inch, it doesn't sound much but it totally transformed the car. It has made the ride a bit harsher as less spring travel is available. I wouldn't like to go much lower than an inch if you want to keep everyday driveability.

As for handling it should transform the car a lower centre of gravity and less lean makes the car feel planted during cornering, during brakeing there is less nose dive. and acceleration is improved due to less drag. The down side is potholes uneven roads gate centre posts and the car will become more taut making it a little twitchy on bad surfaces.

You can get them fitted by a garage or diy, I think your Celica has coil overs and removing the springs can be a dangerous affair, however you could remove the struts and get a garage to replace the springs. Save on costs depends how handy you are with a spanner.

Lowering the car in most cases will affect wheel camber and may affect tyre wear, though the offset camber can help with cornering. It's a bit of a trade off between performance and everyday use.
    There are two other side affects of lowering your car, increased fuel efficiency especially on motorways as the car will have less drag and it's easier to clean the roof:D.
    hope this helps.

Advertisement