Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a bullet on the street

Options
  • 05-08-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

ammo_223_wolf_62gr_fmj_000.jpg

This exact one. Just wondering what type of gun it is used in? I have no idea of fire arms so excuse my lack of knowledge.

It was found on the main street in tubbercurry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Mech1

I assume you have handed it in to the gardai already?
    If you haven't, have you got a licence to have it in your possession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

exactly what it says on the box
    a .223 rem
    its a rifle bullet
    best to hand it in to the garda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

it looks very powerful if im honest. what in gods name would one be shooting with one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

it looks very powerful if im honest. what in gods name would one be shooting with one of those?

Foxes, mostly. It's actually fairly low on the scale of rifle rounds in terms of energy.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Foxes or targets usually.

In terms of power, it has a muzzle energy approximately similar to many shotguns. Muzzle energies for rifles in Ireland run from ~7 Joules (air rifle for target shooting) to ~6000 Joules (the more "exotic" hunting or long range target shooting rounds). A .223 like the one you found comes in around the 1300 Joule mark.

They're all lethal if misused, so from a safety point of view there isn't much difference between most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Mech1 wrote: »

No need to be ignorant to him,would be better if you just advised him of what happens if he is found with it in his possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Mech1

So asking 2 simple questions is ignorant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

So asking 2 simple questions is ignorant now?

Thats 3 ignorant questions now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm surprised at people saying foxes get shot with that ammo. It's full metal jacket. To me that says target shooting practice round. I wouldn't shoot a fox with anything besides ballistic tip or hollow point, more humane than FMJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm surprised at people saying foxes get shot with that ammo. It's full metal jacket. To me that says target shooting practice round. I wouldn't shoot a fox with anything besides ballistic tip or hollow point, more humane than FMJ.

I agree with John I'd only ever use ballistic tips or hollow points on foxes but I think the lads were more talking about the calibre and its uses as opposed to the round itself but definitely worth pointing out. Good catch

And as others have suggested I'd hand it in to the Garda Station if I were you. Is it a live round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

in co sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

This exact one. Just wondering what type of gun it is used in? I have no idea of fire arms so excuse my lack of knowledge.

Do you mean you found this picture in the street? If that's the case, then it's not an offense to have it in your possession.:)
    If you found a "bullet" and you have no knowledge of firearms, how did you match it up to this particular picture? Can you post a photo of the actual thing you found?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Check headstamp and google for it? If it's a live round, then best hand it into the police.

Perhaps just a wind-up. I deleted my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

;)

Lads, can ye give him the benefit of the doubt please? No more speculating on whether or not the OP is genuine.

johngalway wrote: »

Thanks for spotting that John! :)

I was answering based on the calibre rather than the exact type of round, as Vegeta suggested.

CaptainSkidmark: Out of curiosity, when did you find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Apologies for the misunderstanding there Conor :)

The OP posted a photo of an advert for FMJ rounds. If that's an exact representation of what they found in the street, then it's a target round - not really suitable for hunting. But I would still prefer if the OP posted a photo of what they actually found - not an advert from the interweb or magazine or whatever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

This exact one.
    Just wondering what type of gun it is used in? I have no idea of fire arms so excuse my lack of knowledge.

This was the first post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes, it was...

marlin vs wrote: »
    This was the first post.

This has turned into an anorak type, bullet spotting, I don't use FMJ's on foxes, nit picking, bitch fighting, off the rails type thread.

For the love and honour of all thats holy, give it up!

To answer the original question, if you found a bullet on the street........ well you shouldn't have it, it probably fell out of someones pocket. If you have no use for it throw it in the river and forget about it.

Let Time Team find it in a few years time and they can get their ballistics expert to examine it and they'll be able to say that its a .223 its Russian made Wolf, its muzzle enegy is around the 1300 Joule mark and its used mainly for target shooting coz its a metal jacket.

Hey deeks, while the chuck-it-in-the-river advice isn't bad, how about you don't go telling folks to shut up like that?

Sparks wrote: »
    Hey deeks, while the chuck-it-in-the-river advice isn't bad, how about you don't go telling folks to shut up like that?

Now edited, so as not to cause offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

With all due respect to the OP, they DO state:
    I have no idea of fire arms so excuse my lack of knowledge.

..so, when they also say:
    This exact one.

...I strongly suspect that they are referring to the text ".223 Rem" stamped into the case head of the round of ammunition they found, rather than meaning that what they found was a 62 grain, full metal jacket, steel case, Wolf brand cartridge.
    Again, I strongly suspect that the OP did an image search for ".223 Rem" and turned up the image posted.

CaptainSkidmark: my apologies if all the above is incorrect.
    As a matter of interest, is there anything else stamped in the case head, and does the bullet have a plastic tip, a hollow point, or perhaps even a tip made of a different metal to the rest of the bullet?
    Any chance of a photo?

As others have already said, the .223 Rem is a very popular and common calibre, and by far the most likely explanation is that a hunter or target shooter lost the particular cartridge you found; a bit of carelessness that doesn't endear them to the rest of the shooting community, but not the end of the world in the great scheme of things.
    There is, however, a remote possibility that this particular cartridge may have originated from some other source or may have ended up on the street in Tubbercurry as a result of something untoward or criminal, so the right thing to do is to hand it in to the Gardai and let them deal with it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Levelheadedness prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

If it is a bullet he does not need a licence,if it is a round he does

If it is a bullet he does not need a licence,if it is a round he does
    Hmmm. From the Firearms Act, Section 1:
    “ammunition” ... means ammunition for a firearm and includes—
    (b) any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile

But then, against that, it was tried to prosecute someone for having spent cases of ammunition a few years ago and was thrown out of the District Court. But if you had a box of brand new bullets, it might be a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Sparks wrote: »
    Hmmm. From the Firearms Act, Section 1:

But then, against that, it was tried to prosecute someone for having spent cases of ammunition a few years ago and was thrown out of the District Court. But if you had a box of brand new bullets, it might be a different story...

Correct-but he said he found a bullet which is not illegal to have without a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No idea whats going on so please humour me.

Whats the differance between bullet and round?
    and

What does metal jacket, hollow top mean?

thanks

Advertisement