Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Mechanic - Colour Blindness

Options
  • 05-08-2009 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, next year when I leave school I hope to find a apprenticeship as a Motor Mechanic. It has been my dream from such a young age. Looking at the FAS website, it says I require to take a colour blind test. I have taken one on the internet before and not being able to identify any of the numbers. But with wires etc I have no problem. Will this fail stop me from getting my dream job?

Please help.
    Thank you for your time,
    Gavin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Go to your optician and get a proper test done.. An online colour blindness test isn't worth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Go to the optician (no harm in having a full eye test anyway!) and find out, it may be simply that your monitor etc isn't displaying the colours correctly.

Also there are several different types of colourblindness and it maybe that yours isn't significant, though if you can't see most of the numbers when at the optician its unlikely but I would imagine that the standard for motor mechanics would be less than that required for electricians.

Just to let you know it won't be just FAS that will test you for colourblindness.

As an electrician I've been tested for every job I've been offered, obviously I'm not colourblind and have passed each time.

Its better to find out now rather than start the course and have to drop out.

Perhaps you should consider going onto college and study engineering, as being colourblind would then be less of an issue.

Advertisement