Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loosehead V Tighthead

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

Does anyone notice a difference in the 2 positions?

I have a couple of props who play near every game for me so i swap them around on either side of the scrum constantly. I've noticed no matter who plays where the loosehead always plays better. In the match engine too, my tighthead might aswell not play because he's never mentioned yet the loosehead is forever popping up in the loose and retrieving balls knocked backwards for some reason(seriously he's always first to them).

Anyone know anything about this or have similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

That's a bit odd. I was going to say "maybe the tighthead sees less action because he's tied up in scrums etc longer" but really... I doubt that'd really be a factor.

I always put my better prop at tighthead, so I have noticed him popping up on the pitch. Might experiment and look for a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

No difference between the props.

Except at lineouts. A quick throw by the hooker will go to the Loose-head at the front of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I was ahead of my time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Noticed the same. If a ball goes loose, there seems to be about a 1 in 2 chance that it is your loosehead who will regather. For that reason (and the lineout reason), I put my more "backy" prop at loosehead. (better handling, agility etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

corny wrote: »
    I was ahead of my time.:D

i don't get it? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

I thought loosehead is much more important a position in the ME. Always put my best prop there. In general tighthead is there to scrum so get myself a lump of lard with good strenth and technique and dont worry about skills too much.

Daveharnett worked his magic by position and loosehead makes more tackles, handles more ball and makes more turnovers than tighthead. He found looseheads actually make about as much turnovers as the backrow players so it really is one of the more important positions on your team.

Edit: Just realised that Dave put these up in the 'Irish based manager' section of the offsite so doesn't feel right putting them on a public forum.

Link to the full thread on the offsite

Oh Dave and your nerdy skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Wow those are some big stats for a loosehead, will be switching over my starting props now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

See all the turnovers with the backs... is that from interceptions or... ?

Massive amount there for the full-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Fewcifur wrote: »
    See all the turnovers with the backs... is that from interceptions or... ?

Massive amount there for the full-back.

I think its when possession changes hands alright. Retrieving kicks downfield etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Receiving kicks counts as a turnover asaik

Edit:Corny beat me. Really should read all the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

mar-z wrote: »
    Receiving kicks counts as a turnover asaik

Edit:Corny beat me. Really should read all the posts.
    I think its when possession changes hands alright. Retrieving kicks downfield etc.

So no change from the norm then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Does anyone notice a difference in the 2 positions?
    As others have said, there are lots of tackles and turnovers attributed to looseheads. I've never been convinced as to whether it's a reporting anomily or whether the tighthead is really (one of) the most influential players on the pitch. Either way, my best prop (actually my best player) plays loosehead, just in case :D

the loosehead is forever popping up in the loose and retrieving balls knocked backwards for some reason(seriously he's always first to them).
    That's interesting. I wonder if you have observed a kink in the match/commentary engine where the loosehead is being credited with this 'work' without any random element or "skill check" to 'earn' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

One thing I really noticed at Senior NT level (where both players would be of very similar standard) the loosey played a far more pivotal role than the tighty, honestly the tighty apart from the odd tackle or p&g was pretty much just there to hold up the scrum.

One of the biggest things that also gives me this opinion is that changing the loosey for an inferior player had a far bigger impact than changing the tighty for an inferior player. Actually sometimes I couldn't see any big difference when putting Hugh at TH in instead of Healy (at that point Healy was far superior player - all pure front row skills)

Advertisement