Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my broadband thinks

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

its dialup. currently connected at 36.0 mps, download rate varying betweem 5kb/sec and 20max...what the fk is going wrong. It was working fine before i left for oz 10months ago, come back to this ****!...helphelphelp...plzplz...thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ISP/broadband type/modem connection type/location/etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

do you mean your wireless connection to you modem is connecting at 36mb/s?

Or is the balloon at the bottom left saying connected at 36kb/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Aww I thought thought your broadband had gained sentience... Sigh! A man can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Try turning it off, then on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i know it's a long shot, but have you considered calling your ISP?

the chances of them knowing anything about your broadband problems are slim i know, but it might be worth a try. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

eircom broadband (in maynooth)
    router: eircom motorola 12vdc
    im using to seperate laptops one is on xp other using vista. Both have same internet connection problems so i doubt its the modem
    wireless network connection, speed 54 mbps. still downloading at dialup speed.

adress type : assigned by DHCP
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.254

had a nightmare ringing eircom last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

a-k-47 wrote: »
    eircom broadband (in maynooth)
    router: eircom motorola 12vdc
    im using to seperate laptops one is on xp other using vista. Both have same internet connection problems so i doubt its the modem
    wireless network connection, speed 54 mbps. still downloading at dialup speed.

adress type : assigned by DHCP
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.254

had a nightmare ringing eircom last time.

Can't say I ever had problems in Maynooth with Eircom BB, always got the full whack.

Anyways, you can practically ignore the "Wireless Network Connection" speed Windows is reporting, that is the speed between you and the router that's hooked up to your phoneline. So no matter if it says 10mbps or 100mbps it won't make a difference to your internet speed unless the number quoted is lower than the maximum of your connection (e.g. 7mbps broadband, but you're connected to the router at 1mbps, now you'll only ever get 1/7th of your max broadband speed because the router cant communicate with you fast enough).

Wireless is unstable for doing proper quality checks, you should have been provided with a network cable (blue or yellow in colour if I recall correctly). Jack it into one of your machines, head over to http://speedtest.net and run a speed test.

There are any number of reasons why you're getting slow speeds so lets try narrow it down.

Can't say I ever had problems in Maynooth with Eircom BB, always got the full whack.

Anyways, you can practically ignore the "Wireless Network Connection" speed Windows is reporting, that is the speed between you and the router that's hooked up to your phoneline. So no matter if it says 10mbps or 100mbps it won't make a difference to your internet speed unless the number quoted is lower than the maximum of your connection (e.g. 7mbps broadband, but you're connected to the router at 1mbps, now you'll only ever get 1/7th of your max broadband speed because the router cant communicate with you fast enough).

Wireless is unstable for doing proper quality checks, you should have been provided with a network cable (blue or yellow in colour if I recall correctly). Jack it into one of your machines, head over to http://speedtest.net and run a speed test.

There are any number of reasons why you're getting slow speeds so lets try narrow it down.

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/533137126.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]533137126.png

now what ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

what do you mean by line stats?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That looks very much like a line on the safety profile of 160/128.

I don't know for sure what modem you have as you seem to have read what's written on the power adaptor of the router. Is the modem silvery or navyish-blue?

In your browser, type in 192.168.1.254. You might find them there. Tell me more about the modem and we can tell you where to find the stats. They're pretty important in terms of finding out where the problem is.

That looks very much like a line on the safety profile of 160/128.

I don't know for sure what modem you have as you seem to have read what's written on the power adaptor of the router. Is the modem silvery or navyish-blue?

In your browser, type in 192.168.1.254. You might find them there. Tell me more about the modem and we can tell you where to find the stats. They're pretty important in terms of finding out where the problem is.

Router Name
    Motorola Netopia
    Model
    2247-62

anything else? yea its the silverone with eircom printed on the front, two little rabbit ears either end.

anything else guys?... hanging here :):o

Lol I'm not on boards every time of day, or night.

Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser. You should get an "eircom broadband" page loaded up with various bits of information.

Click "troubleshoot" on the side. Then "statistics" should appear as an option below it. Click on that, and then on "DSL" which should then appear.

Post the information you see in that window here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You have also been asked to connect by ethernet - that is one of the most basic things in trying to see where exactly the problem lies. Have you done this?

This is worse than pulling teeth!!!:rolleyes:

Lol I'm not on boards every time of day, or night.

Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser. You should get an "eircom broadband" page loaded up with various bits of information.

Click "troubleshoot" on the side. Then "statistics" should appear as an option below it. Click on that, and then on "DSL" which should then appear.

Post the information you see in that window here.

lol sorry

DSL Statistics

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.20 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 5 0

Have no tried ethernet yet. Will have a look for it tomorrow morning. Pulling teeth would be alot easier!.

lol sorry

DSL Statistics

DSL Statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 160 128
    SN Margin (dB) 14.20 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 5 0

Have no tried ethernet yet. Will have a look for it tomorrow morning. Pulling teeth would be alot easier!.

You see that line I've bolded up there ...that's your maximum allowed speed on your line. It's 160kbps down and 128kbps up. This is around 0.16mbps download speed, and around 0.12mbps upload ..which is very near what speedtest.net was reporting - you'll most likely never get exactly what your speeds are quoted as, but can get very close.

There's something definitely wrong with your setup. Those numbers for Max Allowed Speed should be reporting 3072 and 768 ..or maybe even bigger, it's been a while since I was on Eircom and I believe there was an upgrade last year :)

to_be_confirmed seems to know what's they're talking about (with them guessing you're on 160/128 "safety profile" before you posted your stats).

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Anyone suffering currently with a bad eircom connection over the past few days/weeks it is their DNS Servers that are currently acting up.

The solution for now is to change your DNS Settings on your wireless device or built in network card.

This page will show you step by step, just pick your operating system then follow the instructions, takes all of 2 mins to do.

https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

The address's below are the 2 you'll need.

Its a great service, and its completely free, you only need to go as far as step 1.

Do i ring eircom now and waiting an age for an engineer? or can i do anything here on my behalf?.thanks,

damienmcd wrote: »
    Anyone suffering currently with a bad eircom connection over the past few days/weeks it is their DNS Servers that are currently acting up.

The solution for now is to change your DNS Settings on your wireless device or built in network card.

This page will show you step by step, just pick your operating system then follow the instructions, takes all of 2 mins to do.

https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

The address's below are the 2 you'll need.

Its a great service, and its completely free, you only need to go as far as step 1.

No. Changing the DNS servers will not affect the maximum attainable speed on the user's line. This is a line-related issue, not a website browsing issue.

• Advertisement

Do i ring eircom now and waiting an age for an engineer? or can i do anything here on my behalf?.thanks,

a-k-47, if you've got the patience to not gnaw your hands off while waiting, then give them a ring and when you get through tell them your line is reporting max speeds of 160kbps (kilobits per second) when you paid for X mbps (megabits per second). Ask them to fix this.

a-k-47, if you've got the patience to not gnaw your hands off while waiting, then give them a ring and when you get through tell them your line is reporting max speeds of 160kbps (kilobits per second) when you paid for X mbps (megabits per second). Ask them to fix this.

will ring them shortly. thanks.

Yeah, I've done this for someone before. I just told them that the line was set to a 160/128 profile, after it had sync issues that were subsequently fixed. I then asked to put it back to what it was before (in this case Reach Extended 1 Mbit)

Dub45, try not to shoot down other people's hunches on what the problem might be, before knowing anything yourself. Mmmkay? There was a good reason why I skipped the usual wireless stuff.

thanks lads, good to have the problem narrowed down before i rang. There was a service done before i came home last week, dont know why it was not changed back but it is back up now.thanks.

thanks lads, good to have the problem narrowed down before i rang. There was a service done before i came home last week, dont know why it was not changed back but it is back up now.thanks.

Glad to hear your got it sorted OP, though I'd take that excuse with a pinch of salt :P:P

Advertisement