Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre warmer Question

• 05-08-2009 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I bought a set of tyre warmers for the track, but i'm unsure of when to use them. I know i put them on to heat up the tyres before i go out on track, i'm not that bad.

When i come back in after my run on track, do i put them back on the tyres until i'm going back out again? Leaving them and my genie powered on for pretty much the full day to stop the tyres from heating up and cooling down several times throughout the day?

cheers for the replies,
    Daryl

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Steffano would be the man to ask, he's into racing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It depends on how fast they heat the tyres. If they can get nearly instant heat into the tyres then use them only when going out, but if it takes ages to get up to temp your better off leaving them on all the time.

Also depends on how long between runs short time use them long time wait till closer, depending on how long to get tyre up to temp.

Do they have overheat protection? That would be the biggest issue, apart from fuel, with leaving them on all the time. Saw a pic of a nicely boiled tyre from a track day where someone left the tyre warmers on too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

Del2005 wrote: »
    It depends on how fast they heat the tyres. If they can get nearly instant heat into the tyres then use them only when going out, but if it takes ages to get up to temp your better off leaving them on all the time.

Also depends on how long between runs short time use them long time wait till closer, depending on how long to get tyre up to temp.

Do they have overheat protection? That would be the biggest issue, apart from fuel, with leaving them on all the time. Saw a pic of a nicely boiled tyre from a track day where someone left the tyre warmers on too long.

Cheers man. I think my tyre warmers bring the tyres up to 80 degrees and stay there (1 LED indicates warming and 1 LED indicates 80 degrees). Dont think they have over heat protection. What's the deal with heat cycles then? Does it mean not to heat and cool tyres too often, meaning if possible to keep them warm throughout the day(using tyre warmers)?:confused:

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Del2005 wrote: »

I was under the impression that the main use for tyre warmers in amature racing was to save tyres heating & cooling too many times and making sh!te of the tyre.. not just to get them warm for when you hit the track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The idea is to only go through a single heat cycle for the whole day at the track. If your tyres go hot and cold 6 times in one day they won't last very long. Slap them on a good hour before going out on track and as soon as you come back in out them back on to keep the heat in them for the whole day. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

The idea is to only go through a single heat cycle for the whole day at the track. If your tyres go hot and cold 6 times in one day they won't last very long. Slap them on a good hour before going out on track and as soon as you come back in out them back on to keep the heat in them for the whole day. ;)

Cheers Steff. Think i'm all set now.

Advertisement