Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: Certain sites not loading?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hola.
    Basically, about 20 minutes ago I was signed out of MSN and I can't get on MSN, Hotmail, Twitter or Facebook. I restarted the router and modem and everything but no luck and I know it's not my computer because my brother is having the same issues on his laptop and I can't get them on my iPhone either.

Anyone else? ;_;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

same here, facebook and lifehacker not loading and some very slow sites. not boards.ie of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Ditto can't load, facebook, twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Gavin W

Yep, exact same thing happening to me. Can't access facebook, twitter, etc.

EDIT: Is it sites based in the UK and Ireland that seem to be okay, and only those further afield that are causing problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Yeah I am having the same problem. A weird selection of websites work. RTE, BBC, Myspace (but only some sections of it) and sites like facebook, digg and messengers do not work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

same here just seem to have sorted itself out in the last 5 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noreds

yep same here

not happy with this. been happening the last 2 weeks on and off.

my contract is up next month so will be looking into possibilities if this keeps up.

makes you laugh. upc get the fastest broadband and everyone signs up then they just make a mess of it. so get customers for a year and then they're gone. clever :)

i just signed up last week for the 10meg package not bad compared to eircom max of 3meg and the price is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Companion Cube

Im on NTL broadband in dublin and its pretty much the same, can't log into msn, skype, twitter and various random sites wont load.

in dublin 7 dorset street ncr area and should be getting 10meg but done speed test and getting 15meg to 17meg i am only 20 yards from the outside box

sorry all its still the same very slow to load pages well i held onto my eircom package deal to see what this upc thing was if it keeps doing this i am trowing it back at them and they can do what they want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Gavin W wrote: »
    Yep, exact same thing happening to me. Can't access facebook, twitter, etc.

EDIT: Is it sites based in the UK and Ireland that seem to be okay, and only those further afield that are causing problems?
    Well I can get on some US Sites but I think it just seems to be the big sites that are effected..Google, Reuters, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Hotmail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

No facebook here either (Dublin 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MyLifeInClay

Same here in cork. google was gone for a little while, couldn't get to gmail either but seems fine now. Facebook and my favourite pedia still gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Lots of sites out now...cbsnews still ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

On UPC/NTL also

Weird how only some sites work and not others. Can't even access the CISCO site to play about with the router.

If UPC/NTL don't sort out this issue I'll stick with UTV Internet and BT phone... Come on UPC. How lame! You gone and broke the internet or something

just found out from an engineer that there is a problem with servers all around the world that belong to upc they were hacked at 8.50am on the 14/7/09 and there haveing serious trouble sorting it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I can't access iTunes or the AppStore ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

same problem here in naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭buachaillbeoir

hi all,
    have been having this problem all night with most big sites, facebook, google, 02, quakelive etc etc

tried changing the dns settings in my router from automatic to the addresses below and it fixed the problem for me straight away!!

try these server addresses either in your routers config page or you can do it in the tcp/ip section of your local area connection properties box.

dns 1 208.67.222.222
    dns 2 208.67.220.220

im loading sites on 2 different pcs fine with this and all the sites that were down for me earlier are now working fine!

Edit:

just incase anyone needs help changing the settings on ther pc you can follow these steps https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭kiwi84000

Thanks for the heads up on the dns servers. These seem to be running extremely slow for me tho. Does anyone have a decent high speed dns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

What's the chances in breaking up a contract if this is going to continue?
    Clearly no UPC-user is getting what they are paying for,
    and i feel that there's a limit on how much a paying subscriber should take.

Ok, so it's an attack, and not some location that's burned down, burn still.
    When an ISP recommend you using a thirdparty dns-service it's gone a bit to far.

I had Smart earlier, and complained over connection dying a few times over a month span, but this is ridiculous.

Something tells me there won't be any deductions or anything since they will claim force majeur on this.

"-Oh, we had no knowledge in the fact that we could be attacked. We are only a serviceprovider. You chose Us, not the other way around."

Edit: buachaillbeoir: Tried that the first thing i did (not that i was able to access the website though. Had them stored since last time)

Not working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭kiwi84000

dMaN24 wrote: »

Edit: buachaillbeoir: Tried that the first thing i did (not that i was able to access the website though. Had them stored since last time)

Not working for me.

I had the same issue too. The reason mine was not working was because I was entering it into the routers dns settings and it was still pulling the dns from the ISP.

Try changing it directly in the LAN settings on your computer. This did the trick for me and its loading facebook without any issues.

dMaN24 wrote: »

Not working for me.

did you try change it on the router or just on the pc?i did it forst on the pc and it ranreally slow, changed it on the router and its running fine

those are free dns servers located in the states as far as i know, maybe try the eircom ones

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Just got alot of sites back. Still missing Messengers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

kiwi84000 wrote: »
    I had the same issue too. The reason mine was not working was because I was entering it into the routers dns settings and it was still pulling the dns from the ISP.

Try changing it directly in the LAN settings on your computer. This did the trick for me and its loading facebook without any issues.

Added both to IPv4 and IPv6 aswell as in the router.

And facebook loads up. I say... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Same problem here. I presumed DNS servers were updated or something, along with their systems to accommodate the new HD channels. Which are now on the website. (it suffered some down time earlier for the HD promo?)
    http://www.upc.ie.

Easy fix is to add OpenDNS or Level 3 ones.

ician wrote: »
    Just got alot of sites back. Still missing Messengers though.

just tried msn for the first time here and its not working either, also checked my irc logs and its been disconnecting constantly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Most of the sites that weren't working for me are back working again, but a few are still not loading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

anyone looking for a reliable and secure dns server should use opendns.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or level3

same as opendns except they don't keep a record of your dns requests and sell the information on your browsing habits (anonymously, but still) to online advertisers etc.

nice and easy to remember, just pick any two or three (depending on your router) and you're all set.

doesn't seem to work well on the PS3 though, so I have opendns manually set on that, but for everything else it's been perfect since I started using it last november when i signed up for broadband off them and didn't even know people here were having problems till i just saw this thread.

just so you knowe, you have zero chance of getting out ot the contract because you're not getting 100% of your speed any more than you woulud with any other ISP, that's why it's called "up to xxmbps broadband".

and they're certainly not going to let you get out of it because you couldn't get onto facebook at 3am on a wedndesday morning whilst they were in the middle of getting their dns servers hacked. :rolleyes:

Advertisement