Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SE Asia Itinerary - looking for advice

• 05-08-2009 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals,

Quick question regarding my route.

Heading over in 3 weeks. Flying into KL and have 5 months to cover:

Malaysia (just the Perhentian Islands for a week)
    Laos, North Vietnam, Angkor Wat in Cambodia and want to spend most of my time in Indonesia. Been to Thailand before so that's not a priority, might take some of it in again but not bothered.

Anyway, my question is, from KL should I:

1. Fly up to Hanoi, see that region and overland it to Luang Prabang and go down through Laos to Cambodia or;

2. Fly from KL up to Vientiane, head northward to LP, overland it to Hanoi and down Vietnam to Cambodia?

Basically, should I clockwise or anticlockwise it? I think the most important factor is how difficult is it to overland it from Luang Prabang to Hanoi?

I could also consider flying from KL to Chiang Mai/Rai and getting the slow boat from Huang Xai. For some reason I feel like doing the slow boat thing. Those who have done it, would you say it's something you're glad you did? I guess the reason I feel drawn to it is that I like river scenery.

After Laos, Vietnam and Angkor, I'm heading to Indonesia.

Will probably be looking for advice on that too!

Thanks,

K.

Edit: Just discovered 2 spanners in the works. Firstly, supposedly the Vietnam visa is hard to get in KL so going to Laos first would make more sense. But, overland from Laos to Hanoi is supposedly rough. Anyone done it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I think your best option is
    Chang mai - slow boat(it really cool trip) - X M ? - luang pewrbang - tubing in vang vien - vientienne(get vietnam visa here) - fly to hanoi approx E100 - travel all down thru vietnam - Saigon - do delta tour - boat to pheno phem - sniock ? ville if time - then siem riep for ankor ankor

I just did this trip and its seems the most traveled route. Can be done comfortable in a mininmun of 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think the most important factor is how difficult is it to overland it from Luang Prabang to Hanoi?
    It's not very difficult, it's just very very long. Especially if you are doing Vientianne to Hanoi in one stint.

I say slow boat and flight is your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks for that folks.

Will probably head up to Chiang Mai so. In which case, I'll get a 30 day visa on landing. So therefore, if I enter Thailand again at a later stage by land, I'll only get a 15 days visa, correct? But if I re-enter a 3rd time by air, can I get a 30 day again?

Also, who flys from Vientiane to Hanoi? And can you get that kind of price for the flight when in Vientiane or would that be booked in advance? Cause looked at Lao airlines site and it's ****. Wouldn't let me book.

Finally, my main reason for going to Vientnam is to see Halong Bay. Is it worth the trouble of visas, possible 24 hour bus journey etc to see this alone. If not, where else is worth going to in the Northern half of Vietnam that would make the journey worthwhile?

Thanks again for the help.

Als

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I think loa arilines [bouncy aer arran style] are the only ones who fly to hanoi, it was about 150us and we had to book thru a travel agent as well. I looked on sky scanner ands its not any cheaper there.
    Vietnam is good and well worth seeing, but halong bay is V over ratted. Most people we meet agreed. I woudent go across the road to see it again. South vietnam is way nicer and hospitable than the north.
    For thailand land borders are 15 days and air are 30 days every time

kraggy wrote: »
    Thanks for that folks.

Will probably head up to Chiang Mai so. In which case, I'll get a 30 day visa on landing. So therefore, if I enter Thailand again at a later stage by land, I'll only get a 15 days visa, correct? But if I re-enter a 3rd time by air, can I get a 30 day again?
    Yep, and you can use up to 90 days of visa exempt days.

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »
    I think loa arilines [bouncy aer arran style] are the only ones who fly to hanoi, it was about 150us and we had to book thru a travel agent as well. I looked on sky scanner ands its not any cheaper there.
    Vietnam is good and well worth seeing, but halong bay is V over ratted. Most people we meet agreed. I woudent go across the road to see it again. South vietnam is way nicer and hospitable than the north.
    For thailand land borders are 15 days and air are 30 days every time

Thanks for that Notch. Although, from looking at previous threads on Vietnam, I've been under the impression that the North was the more friendly, interesting place. Matter of opinion I guess. What would recommend seeing in the Nam?
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Yep, and you can use up to 90 days of visa exempt days.

What are exempt days SMB?

Really don't know what to do once I get to Vientiane. Decided to go to Chiang Mai from KL, then slowboat, LP, VV, then down to Vientiane. Flying to Hanoi may not be an option due to cost. So is there anywhere I could overland to in Vietnam that would be cool?

Almost thinking now that Vietnam isn't worth the hassle. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Also, anyone been as far south in Laos as Pakse? Heard good things about it. And in which country is it best to see the Mekong Delta?

Thanks again,

K.

When you enter Thailand without a Visa you get a Visa exempt entrance (30 days by air and 15 by land.) You can accumulate 90 days over a 6 month period.

I haven't been to Vitenam myself either. I had a choice a few months ago off spending a few days in Hanoi or Hong Kong and I went with the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Thanks for that Notch. Although, from looking at previous threads on Vietnam, I've been under the impression that the North was the more friendly, interesting place. Matter of opinion I guess. What would recommend seeing in the Nam?

Really don't know what to do once I get to Vientiane. Decided to go to Chiang Mai from KL, then slowboat, LP, VV, then down to Vientiane. Flying to Hanoi may not be an option due to cost. So is there anywhere I could overland to in Vietnam that would be cool?

Almost thinking now that Vietnam isn't worth the hassle. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Also, anyone been as far south in Laos as Pakse? Heard good things about it. And in which country is it best to see the Mekong Delta?

Thanks again,

K.

Vietnam is a cracking spot! Much cheaper than the rest of South East Asia and unlike Thailand has not completely sold it's soul to the devil for the dollar.

Ha Long Bay is beautiful. You could do a nice relaxing 3 day trip there.

Hanoi is one of the best cities i've bein too - food markets are crazy there.

There is a standard bus route that everyone takes in Vietnam, takes you from Hanoi to Saigon and you stop off in 4/5 places along the way : Hue, Hoi An, Na Thrang and i can't remember the other places. Lovely beach in Na Thrang. You can't get some unreal clothes made in Hoi An and they will post them home for.

Vietnam i found was ten times better than Thailand and a lot cheaper. The days of living like a King for 20 dollars a day still exist in Vietnam - not so in Thailand.

macca1983 wrote: »
    Vietnam is a cracking spot! Much cheaper than the rest of South East Asia and unlike Thailand has not completely sold it's soul to the devil for the dollar.

Ha Long Bay is beautiful. You could do a nice relaxing 3 day trip there.

Hanoi is one of the best cities i've bein too - food markets are crazy there.

There is a standard bus route that everyone takes in Vietnam, takes you from Hanoi to Saigon and you stop off in 4/5 places along the way : Hue, Hoi An, Na Thrang and i can't remember the other places. Lovely beach in Na Thrang. You can't get some unreal clothes made in Hoi An and they will post them home for.

Vietnam i found was ten times better than Thailand and a lot cheaper. The days of living like a King for 20 dollars a day still exist in Vietnam - not so in Thailand.

Thanks for that. When were you there? Cheap sounds good.

How did you get to Hanoi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Thanks for that. When were you there? Cheap sounds good.

How did you get to Hanoi?

I did the whole of South East Asia only 3 months ago so prices and knowledge are fairly up to date.

Vietnam is dirt cheap - EVERY single night i spent in Vietnam i paid no more than 10 US dollars for a double room, ensuite, air conditioning and cable tv. It is the same price for two people so that makes it 5 dollars each. Bus from Hanoi to Saigon should cost no more than 30/35 US dollars. Lot of history in Vietnam obviously too. Also get Bia Hoi over there - 15 cent for a glass of beer - can be dodgy sometimes but for 15 cent a glass who cares!

I actually went a very different route than most to get to Hanoi under the guidance of a fellow traveller. We went up to Northern Laos and cut across the mainland - we were kind of going on a wing and a prayer really - it ain't a travelled route like most places in SE Asia. The border i crossed was only 12 months old and i was the first Irish guy thru it! We went North from Luan Pra Bang - unfortunately i could not even tell you the names of the villages we passed thorugh but what a trip!Took us 3 days to get to Hanoi and the best part of time spent in SE Asia was up in Northern Laos - not many go up there.

Try give Vientiane a skip and give your time to Vietnam- not much there and place closes by 11 every night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Wow, five months for that trip is cool, lucky you!

Vietnam is great, I loved Halong Bay although when it was really overcast on the first day, people weren't so sure about it...we got the gloomy look and then the sunny part the following days...
    I went on a 3day trip from the Hanoi Hostel or whatever it was called...yes a bit more expensive than organised through other agenices but it was all hostel backpackers on it, rather than other trips which can have a mix of different ages, kinda depends on what you're looking for I guess... Overnight on the junk boat is a really good laugh if you're with similar people though! Then we went kayaking and rock-climbing on one of the islands before docking at Cat Ba Island and stayed overnight there the second night. Two days/one night would have been way too short IMO.

Stayed almost a week in Hoi An, it is absolutely gorgeous.

Another option that a few lads seemed to do up North was rent a motorbike (ridiculously cheap) and head to Sapa themselves. I didn't have the balls to do it tbh and had never been on a motorbike before so was asking for trouble!

In Dalat, you can do a Easy-Rider - meet a local who brings you away for a few days. There's some cafe they all hang out in, it's in LP and prob on net. I went from Dalat to Saigon and I probably saw more of Vietnam in those four days than the rest of the four weeks! Little villages, cashew nut processing, coffee plantations, rubber trees, kids cutting bamboo in the rain, clay/brick making, having snake wine and Vietnamese tea, elephants crossing lakes with goods etc. Pricey as far as I remember but I was really, really glad I did it.

I'm heading back to SEA next year as part of a bigger trip but itchy itchy feet...have a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gixerfixer600

The land border crossings in and out of Vietnam can be tough. They can rifle through everyone's gear and expect a bribe even though you've got the correct visa.

As previous poster said the overland trip from Vientiane to Hanoi is very long and arduous. So too is the road trip from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. If I had my time over I'd fly in and out.

Once making it there you will be rewarded with pretty much the best that SE Asia has to offer. There's tons to see and do and you'll enjoy lavishly appointed accommodation and fine dining on bag of chips and quarter pounder type outlay.

The people are friendly and will be keen to talk to you. English is the language of money and the locals are all keen become as well versed as possible.

Wish I was going . . .

macca1983 wrote: »
    I did the whole of South East Asia only 3 months ago so prices and knowledge are fairly up to date.

Vietnam is dirt cheap - EVERY single night i spent in Vietnam i paid no more than 10 US dollars for a double room, ensuite, air conditioning and cable tv. It is the same price for two people so that makes it 5 dollars each. Bus from Hanoi to Saigon should cost no more than 30/35 US dollars. Lot of history in Vietnam obviously too. Also get Bia Hoi over there - 15 cent for a glass of beer - can be dodgy sometimes but for 15 cent a glass who cares!

I actually went a very different route than most to get to Hanoi under the guidance of a fellow traveller. We went up to Northern Laos and cut across the mainland - we were kind of going on a wing and a prayer really - it ain't a travelled route like most places in SE Asia. The border i crossed was only 12 months old and i was the first Irish guy thru it! We went North from Luan Pra Bang - unfortunately i could not even tell you the names of the villages we passed thorugh but what a trip!Took us 3 days to get to Hanoi and the best part of time spent in SE Asia was up in Northern Laos - not many go up there.

Try give Vientiane a skip and give your time to Vietnam- not much there and place closes by 11 every night.

Thanks a million for that.

Any chance you can remember the name of any town at all you went through on the way to Hanoi from Luang Prabang? Was it an awful journey?

Is way up north in Laos nice? Maybe I could break up the journey and spend a night or two in towns on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

I went from Luang Prabang to Hanoi last dec.
    From Luang Prabang you get a bus to Sam Neau (about 14 hours). From there you get a bus to Viang Xay. There are some cool caves to check out there. You then get a bus from Viang Xay to the border crossing at Na Meo. Once you cross the border there is a daily bus that goes all the way to Hanoi, it takes about 14 hours. Its a bit of a trek but well worth it in my opinion. Very rewarding.

Thanks Jimmy, will consider that route so. Have heard from others and from other forums that it's rough but doesn't sound too bad from what you say.

More questions guys:

1. Laos visa: does it have to be paid in dollars or can it be paid using baht (i'll be coming from Thailand)

2. Anyone know how long Vietnam visa takes to get in Vientiane?

3. Is Vietnam much cheaper than Thailand?

4. What else would you recommend doing in Chiang Mia other than a hill tribe visit? Besides elephant trekking, don't want to do anything involving animals. How much would rafting be? Nothing in the Lonely Planet about it..

5. Accommodation quoted in LP gives prices in dollars. I presume it's paid for in local currency though, no?

6. Anyone travel down through Laos from Vientiane to the south? What route did you take?

That's all I can think of right now. Really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks a million,

K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Thanks Jimmy, will consider that route so. Have heard from others and from other forums that it's rough but doesn't sound too bad from what you say. its not that difficult. You just spend a lot of time on the bus. Travel agents in Luang Prabang will advertise a bus to Hanoi. This bus goes back down to vietiane then enters vietnam about half way up. It sounds like an absolute nightmare of a journey and there have been some very bad reports about this on lonely planets message board etc. I would avoid this option at all costs. Much better to go via Sam Neau as its a more natural route

More questions guys:

1. Laos visa: does it have to be paid in dollars or can it be paid using baht (i'll be coming from Thailand) when i crossed in you could pay in thai baht but they shaft you with the exchange rate. better to have dollars id say.

2. Anyone know how long Vietnam visa takes to get in Vientiane?

3. Is Vietnam much cheaper than Thailand? I found vietnam to be the cheapest part of south east asia by far. food and drink cost nothing and as a previous poster said you can get excellent (as in 3/4 star by irish standard) hotel rooms for $10 - $15 a night.

4. What else would you recommend doing in Chiang Mia other than a hill tribe visit? Besides elephant trekking, don't want to do anything involving animals. How much would rafting be? Nothing in the Lonely Planet about it..

5. Accommodation quoted in LP gives prices in dollars. I presume it's paid for in local currency though, no?

6. Anyone travel down through Laos from Vientiane to the south? What route did you take? Yep. Went from Vietiane to the 4,000 islands. Dom Det i think the name of it was. Well worth it. Its an overnight bus from Vietiane. Dom Det is a really cool spot. Definitely worth a trip down. On the way back you could do worse than check out Tadlo for a few nights. Rent motorbikes and travel around to the different waterfalls. One of the highlights of Laos i think.

That's all I can think of right now. Really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks a million,

K

Thanks for that Jimmy.

Anyone else got answers to the other questions?

I'd presume that getting a visa in Vientiane would be no different than Bangkok so you are talking 1-3 days depending on how much you pay. 3 days in Vientiane sounds like 3 days too much tbh.

Chiang Mai is great for activities apart from the usual hill and elephant treks. The rafting there is excellent especially if you are there for the rainy season. It's lethal enough but great fun.

LP lists accommodation in dollars just as a general guide. Quite a few places in Laos will accept dollar when paying for your lodgings too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

I found that Thailand was all about the baht, we paid for almost nothing in dollars. Laos and Cambodia however we used very little local money, it was all dollars! Vietnam is 50/50. You get a better deal in dong so we used dong for most of the trip.

I agree with the post that says Halong Bay is over-rated..it is amazing because its so vast and unusual but over-run with tourists boats. Theres millions of them, you tend to feel part of the herd. We went kayaking one morning and the water was absolutely filthy, mostly with fag butts and other papers thrown overboard from the tourist boats it was terrible. Its not getting the preservation it needs at all.

If you wanted to do something else in North Vietnam, I'd recommend a trip to Sapa. Its a 10 hour train ride north from Hanoi, near the Chinese border. Its so so so pretty! We did a 3 day light trek there along the mountains and rice paddies and stayed overnight with a Vietnamese family. Our guide was brilliant and I made dinner with the family, handrolled the spring rolls myself :D it was truely amazing. The few days in Sapa was a major highlight for my time in Vietnam and much more worthwhile than Halong Bay IMO.

I think you'll really get a better feel for what you want to do or see when you get out there too. You can plan it all from home but you'll get lots of info from people in hostels or backpacker bars and make different decisions as you're moving.

Edit: http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Tourism-g311304-Sapa-Vacations.html -> just want to add in that link, take a look at a few of the photos to give you a flavour of Sapa. You can book these trips in Hanoi for around $50/60 which includes the return train ride.

Thanks again for all the info guys. Really appreciate it.

One more, is it REALLY necessary to buy malaria tablets? Have my injections but was wondering about malaria tablets.

Heading to Northern Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietmam, Indonesia.

And also, have any of ye bought malaria tablets in any of those countries? Are they available and safe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

you can get malaria tablets in boots in bangkok on kho san road and they cost a fraction of what they cost in ireland. i bought all mine here and brought the stash with me but they were readily available in bangkok, maybe not in the smaller towns id imagine..

if you are travelling near the mekong river and across borders which are dangerous malarial areas then yeah, you need the tablets! just a note for women though, these tablets make the contraceptive pill inactive so girls either have to come off the pill, or keep using it but understand it isnt active.

Mmm...

I wonder are them tablets safe/effective.

How much are doxycycline here does anyone know? Not going with Malarone anyway. Having said that, I'm confused as I've read bad things about all malaria tablets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I bought my malaria tablets over the counter in Boots in Belfast. And I wouldn't wory about Thailand Boots anyway, as ours usually come from Asia anyway.
    Mine cost around 16 pounds for 7 weeks or so.

dory wrote: »
    I bought my malaria tablets over the counter in Boots in Belfast. And I wouldn't wory about Thailand Boots anyway, as ours usually come from Asia anyway.
    Mine cost around 16 pounds for 7 weeks or so.

Hey dory, which type did you get? Malarone, doxy, larium?

If you've decided to go with doxy then you can just buy them when you get to Thailand.

You can't get Malarone over there.

Advertisement