Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling up Patrick's Hill in Cork

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

I remember another thread on here about other hills around Cork but can't find it. Rafeen Hill is a beeatch, Temple hill I haven't tried yet but will do at some stage soon. Coming out of Lisgoold over to Leamlara is also a testing hill. Cork Hill in Youghal I think it's called with a petrol station half way up it.... cruel!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

Last time I was in Cork I made the point of going up it on the bike as soon as I arrived off the bus! I had a heavy bag on my back and I was near overheating but it was a buzz and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I remember another thread on here about other hills around Cork but can't find it. Rafeen Hill is a beeatch, Temple hill I haven't tried yet but will do at some stage soon. Coming out of Lisgoold over to Leamlara is also a testing hill. Cork Hill in Youghal I think it's called with a petrol station half way up it.... cruel!

This one?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66833602

I've yet to try Temple Hill, definitely on my to do list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I do Richmond hill beside it quite often and Gardiniers hill is on my commute. I was just about to try Pats hill two weeks ago coming back from a spin on the mtb. Set off real smooth at the bottom it only to be passed out by some guy on a Cannondale leaping up it like a bleeding gazelle, sod that, took a left at Wellington road and went home. I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Somebody or club is missing a big chance in not organising a popular night-time, open hill-climb on it - would make a lovely summer evening event.

Do it like downhill ski format.
    Fastest guy up the hill goes last in the second round.
    Best total time for the 2 climbs wins.

Have a podium for the current leader for the spectators.

It could be a great event

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

do you know, theres definitely something in the idea of a 'fun'/'tt' ride up patricks hill. Could be a big draw if coordinated with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I did patrick's hill twice on Saturday after reading the thread. Last time i did it was 14 years ago on a mountain bike. It's a tough climb alright. Start of it is fine, middle gets steep and then you think that it's not too bad and it gets very steep again. Then you realise that you can't turn back and have to keep going. I would say that the last few metres were the toughest because just before that you think you are nearly there, but you have to keep working to get there.

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    Do it like downhill ski format.
    Fastest guy up the hill goes last in the second round.
    Best total time for the 2 climbs wins.

Have a podium for the current leader for the spectators.

It could be a great event

Just to whet the appetite. Much of the organisation for such an event is underway. Provisional talks have been held with the relevant authorities for a closed road event and the format has got a thumbs up.

Additional discussions regarding televised highlights, public participation event on the start/stage etc being planned.

Suggestions in advance would be appreciated. There will be no less than 7 and up to 10 categories, so prizes for lots of different levels of cyclist.

Provisional date 1 week either side of 1st of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Just to whet the appetite. Much of the organisation for such an event is underway. Provisional talks have been held with the relevant authorities for a closed road event and the format has got a thumbs up.

Additional discussions regarding televised highlights, public participation event on the start/stage etc being planned.

Suggestions in advance would be appreciated. There will be no less than 7 and up to 10 categories, so prizes for lots of different levels of cyclist.

Provisional date 1 week either side of 1st of October.

I'm in. As mentioned above, the very last bit is the steepest. Other than that, it's not too bad.*

*If you do it straight after doing Temple Hill.

• Advertisement

Put it in your diary.
    Saturday 1st October
    Maximum participants: 500
    Start time: 9am @ 20 second intervals
    200 fastest will go into 2nd round starting at 12.30
    Cumulative time of fastest 50 go into final round @ 3.00
    Outright fastest time on round 3 wins.
    Entry fee: €20

Depending on corporate support etc. up to 9 prize categories + lots of valuable spot prizes.

Was on the hill today finalising plans for start/finish areas + barrierwork etc etc

Event website & launch later this month.

Start: Door of No.20 Patrick's Hill on your left.
    Yard Door between No.17 and 18 on your right.

Finish: No.10 Sheldon Court on your left.
    No.4 Lansdowne Terrace on your right.

Length: 300 metres
    Altitude gain: 44.62 metres
    Average Gradient: 14.87%

The reason for the drop in the average gradient is that the last 60 metres is pan flat (average gradient for first 240 metres is almost 19%).

The last 60 metres is where it will be won and lost!

Post some times if anyone gets a chance in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Put it in your diary.
    Saturday 1st October
    The perfect opportunity for a grudge match ... ?

Do you need a racing licence for this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

OK I'll post up a (slow) time, ahem, I got a chance to do the climb back in May, while also testing out Temple Hill, and my time was 1:40 for the steepest 300m section, not sure if it would match your route exactly, but should be close. Now, I wasn't all-out, just put it into the granny-ring and spun up, well...... actually out of the saddle for the last bit.

seve65 wrote: »
    Do you need a racing licence for this one ?

You will not need a racing licence.

• Advertisement

Start: Door of No.20 Patrick's Hill on your left.
    Yard Door between No.17 and 18 on your right.

Finish: No.10 Sheldon Court on your left.
    No.4 Lansdowne Terrace on your right.

Length: 300 metres
    Altitude gain: 44.62 metres
    Average Gradient: 14.87%

The reason for the drop in the average gradient is that the last 60 metres is pan flat (average gradient for first 240 metres is almost 19%).

The last 60 metres is where it will be won and lost!

Post some times if anyone gets a chance in the next few weeks.

Not an exact match but fairly close (43m up, 300m long, av grd 13.8)
    in 1 min 22 today. Didnt push on the flat bit, so maybe could do 2 or 3 seconds better.

http://app.strava.com/segments/710747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

This sounds like great fun! :eek: :D will definitely try and make it down for it.
    Is there a registration before the day or what is the set up?

I've put some of the organisation on the long finger for the last few weeks, sorry.
    I'm on holidays for 2 weeks, so I'll try to get it done and dusted in the first 2 weeks of September regarding organisation. Safety statement and road closure application just ready for submission.

Alot more red tape and meetings with various authorites than I originally envisaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

At 300 meters it must be some kind of record for cost of cycling event per meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

has there been any further update on this one?
    Put it in your diary.
    Saturday 1st October
    Maximum participants: 500
    Start time: 9am @ 20 second intervals
    200 fastest will go into 2nd round starting at 12.30
    Cumulative time of fastest 50 go into final round @ 3.00
    Outright fastest time on round 3 wins.

Depending on corporate support etc. up to 9 prize categories + lots of valuable spot prizes.

Was on the hill today finalising plans for start/finish areas + barrierwork etc etc

Event website & launch later this month.

• Advertisement

Damn, completely forgot about this event, did it go ahead? did anyone compete in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Damn, completely forgot about this event, did it go ahead? did anyone compete in it?
    I'm right by Patricks Hill. I'm pretty sure that it didn't happen. I'd have been interested in taking part.

Apologies guys. Event did not go ahead.

Rather than have a badly organised one, we have decided to hold off 'til next year to ensure its a proper organised and funded event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Rather than have a badly organised one, we have decided to hold off 'til next year to ensure its a proper organised and funded event.
    Who's 'we'? A cycling club? Will the event have official sactioning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Shame, would have loved a run on a closed road. Hope it works out next year!

Lemag wrote: »
    Who's 'we'? A cycling club? Will the event have official sactioning?

No cycling club or body involved. When you mention sanctioning, it hasn't been sanctioned by cycling Ireland if that is what you mean.
    Sanctioning is required from the following collectively.
    - City Council
    - Fire Dept. Safety Officer
    - Gardai
    All the above have been very helpful and favourable towards such an event taking place subject to a submission of a safety statement and road closure permits.
    And the HSE must be aware that the event is taking place.

The will is there among the authorities, we just have to make it more affordable for participants for what it is and that involves substantial sponsorship - I have been involved in organising a sportif and the costs are minute in comparison to organising an event on Patricks Hill.

Lots of work has gone on in the background to make this event happen. The location of the event means its a logistical nightmare in comparison to your normal road race or sportif. Alternative parking arrangements for residents on the street, Security Levels, Public liability for spectators as well as participants just to mention a few points that set it apart from a road race or sportif and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Time constraint is ultimately what caught us in the end for this year as Companies like a bit more notice for sponsorship of events to maximise 'bang for their buck', exposure etc.

You should think about organising it at the same time that the TDM (Tour de Munster) guys do Patricks Hill at the end of their event, actually it might tie in quite nicely.

@mickmcl09, you are a demon for taking all those logistics on. You have to be congratulated for starting the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

You should think about organising it at the same time that the TDM (Tour de Munster) guys do Patricks Hill at the end of their event, actually it might tie in quite nicely.

The TdeM finale on Patricks Hill sees 150 cyclists get up the hill within a period of less than an hour.

I think the proposed scale of the Patricks Hill event was over ambitious. I suspect the number of people that would participate in such an event would be very small; it's a hill that most cyclists don't seek out. If you got 40 or 50 participants it would be a lot in my opinion. Why not run a smaller event, as a trial, with a view to gauging how attractive it could be, and whether demand is there on a bigger scale. Limit the time the hill is closed, make it easier for the authorities to agree, lessen the sponsorship required, etc. etc. Better to run an event that has a chance of taking place.

Having said all that, I do not mean to be negative. I really admire the concept, and I always support anyone that works to create something. I would be an eager competitor at the event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

I agree that you would only get 40 riders to do this. One thing to increase numbers would be to get school kids involved and have a prize for the fastest in a school uniform etc Would involve posters in schools etc provided its on during school term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

rochefan wrote: »
    I agree that you would only get 40 riders to do this. One thing to increase numbers would be to get school kids involved and have a prize for the fastest in a school uniform etc Would involve posters in schools etc provided its on during school term

Jesus Christ! If any kid gets up Paddy's Hill in their school uniform, I'd be straight on the phone to http://www.seankellycyclingacademy.com/

(God I love those Dolan bikes)

Advertisement