Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little advise before I buy?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I just need to run this past you before I demolish the credit card.

Coolermaster HAF mini 922
    (opinions? I can't rationalise the extra cash for the sniper series and they are a bit too bling for my liking but the apparent lack of dust filter on the 922's bottom psu vent bothers me)

Phenom II x3 720
    ( suits my budget )

XFX Radeon HD 4890
    x1

Corsair TX750W (seems to be a solid chocie from advice here and some reading)

LG GH22LP20 lightscribe

MSI 790GX G65 ( is it worth the extra 30 odd quid to go up to the GD70?)

4GB kit OCZ DDR3 PC3 10666 Platinum CL7
    ( not a clue about RAM to be honest)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

helios12 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I just need to run this past you before I demolish the credit card.

Coolermaster HAF mini 922
    (opinions? I can't rationalise the extra cash for the sniper series and they are a bit too bling for my liking but the apparent lack of dust filter on the 922's bottom psu vent bothers me)

Phenom II x3 720
    ( suits my budget )

XFX Radeon HD 4890
    x1

Corsair TX750W (seems to be a solid chocie from advice here and some reading)

LG GH22LP20 lightscribe

MSI 790GX G65 ( is it worth the extra 30 odd quid to go up to the GD70?)

4GB kit OCZ DDR3 PC3 10666 Platinum CL7
    ( not a clue about RAM to be honest)

PSU is solid but unless you intend to upgrade with a second HD 4890 in the future a TX550W would do you just fine and save you the bones of 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Well I'd like the option of using Crossfire as a cheap gfx upgrade in the future, though I think I read that the mobo I picked might end up putting one of the cards in too much heat?

But in general, everything else looks alright ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

helios12 wrote: »
    Coolermaster HAF mini 922 (opinions? I can't rationalise the extra cash for the sniper series and they are a bit too bling for my liking but the apparent lack of dust filter on the 922's bottom psu vent bothers me)

I've it's bigger sister, the 932. with the exception of the dust filters (the 932 has none whatsoever) it's a damn good case, the only flaws i have on mine are a couple of metal edges that weren't beaten down properly, but they aren't sharp or anything so it's no big deal. It does need a bit of TLC though to keep it clean inside, but most of the dust gets attracted to those metallic grills on the way through so not as much gets inside as you'd think.

a few people have modded them fairly easy as well to add some unobtrusive home made dust filters. have a look at the coolermaster forums to see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The Mini-HAF is a bit quieter and more refined than the old HAF932, and I'm afraid a lot of "bottom-loaders" have no PSU dust filter (Xigmatek Midgard being the only exception I can think of).

RAM looks good, the Platinum is the gamer's choice at the mo due to the low, low latencies :)

MSI G65 is actually one of the best mobos for CrossFire cooling, as its one of the ~10% of mobos that remembered that you can't put the cards right next to each other and expect the first card to breathe! :o That said AM3 seems to be the only platform lacking in retarded CrossFire mobo layouts as all the basic boards keep a triple spacing and of the CrossFireX mobos only the Asus acts the tit and puts the two lower slots right next to each other! :P

Don't forget a custom cooler if you want to screw with the unlocked multiplier good and proper! :D Mind you if you don't intend going much over 3.5GHz there always the cheap (and quiet!) Arctic 64 Pro...

And if you get the TX750 don't forget to go CrossFire at some point! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Cheers Solitaire, ya I'll be picking up the aftermarket cooler and a few other odds and ends at a later stage in order to space out the dent to the ol' account, definite plans to crossfire but just not right now:D.regards to the mobo, I had actually got it confused with a Gigabyte board I had been considering for a while.

Right now I just need to make sense of Hardwareversand and the bizarre credit transfer and I'm done.

P.s. Bank of Ireland get awful confused when you bring this to them and even a little rude..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Surprised - its usually AIB that get all abusive if you do anything other than hand them money :P

Advertisement