Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of childminding

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm pregnant and live in Shankill, Dublin. I'm currently looking at all childcare options - I've a really stressful job with long hours which is well paid but just too much for me (and that's before a baby arrives!). I've been thinking for a long time about staying at home with my child when it's born, and hopefully minding 1 or 2 other children in my home at the same time but despite my best googling efforts I can't find details on how much I should charge/ could earn. I've heard of €40 - €50 per child per full day (to include all meals etc). Is this accurate, or does it work on an hourly rate? I want to ensure I can afford mortgage, bills etc. before I take the plunge and at the moment I'm the main breadwinner in our family so I'm nervous. If I do this, will I be able to get state maternity benefit if I've another child? Do I pay tax? It's just a minefield.

Thanks
    SarahBee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Here's a link to rollercoaster where you'll get a better idea of childminding and what may be involved.

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/local_childcare/forum.asp?GroupID=16&forumdb=8

I suggest contact your local Childminding Advisor with the Childcare Committee as she/he will be able to give you a much better idea of charges in your area. Also she can give you loads of advice on getting started.

In my area the average fee for a fulltime place is €150 per week, €25 - €40 per day for part-time full day place or €4 - €5 per hour for half days and that's for qualified, experienced, insured, notified and voluntary notified childminders.

I believe there are those on benefits now childminding as a top up and are charging €20 per day.

TBH, think very long and hard. Childminding is a low paid job especially now in the recession where so many childminders are finding it difficult to fill places especially if they're doing everything above board.

Childminding involves a lot of overheads that may not be obvious until you go through your accounts, your heating and electric bills shoot up big time especially over the winter, then there's insurance - public liability, household and car insurance which is normally loaded if you carry minded children to school etc.

Toys, materials and equipment all add up. The wear and tear on your home means replacing furniture more often as well and having to have your home decorated at least annually.

Re the tax, you only pay tax once your gross income is over €15,000 but that could change in the budget. You pay a lower rate prsi stamp €253 per year and it doesn't give you much benefits apart from contributary pension but I think it may cover maternity leave but not sure.

Advertisement