Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new tent

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

First of all -- the usual apologies in case I'm repeating an old thread. I made a couple of searches and didn't come up with anything.

Seeing as the Electric Picnic is only a few weeks away now, and I've decided to retire my trusty old 2-man in favour of something with a bit more space, it's probably time to start shopping.

Where are my options for getting a new tent at a reasonable price in Galway?

As far as I'm aware, there's Argos, Millets in the Headford Road Shopping Centre, and the Great Outdoors on Eglinton St. Are there any other options I'm missing? Also, which would people recommend for good value/quality products?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

if you're looking for reviews on tents try the message forums and tent reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk. I've found them to be a mine of geeky but useful info.millets have a 20% off sale at the moment, so they're probably the best bricks and mortar store in town at the moment, but try charlescamping.ie Not bad for prices and cheapish postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Cool, thanks for the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was camping over the weekend. I didnt buy a tent for the trip but may I suggest the following tent.
    2355.gif

All our tents took 30-45 mins to set up while the gem above took less than 2 mins. Held out very well against the wind & rain too.
    Millets have the best selection apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i've been tempted to buy the above tent but i'm afraid that someone at the picnic will either steal it (had my tent stolen with all my clothes in it last year so it happens!) or it'll just fall apart at a slight knock, looks fairly flimsey! is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

a friend of mine had one of those quick pitch tents for oxegen. it literally took 1 minute to pitch and survived the whole weekend. they are perfect for one person and actually have quite a lot of space inside. the only downfall is trying to get the thing to fold up, it took quite a bit of work!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Those Quick Draw tents are feirce handy and very sturdy. I've used mine a few times now and it's as good as it was when i bought it.

Got it in Argos for 48 yoyos or there abouts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you wait a little longer, Millet's usually have a sale one a bit later in the year.

They call it "the winter of our discount tents."

I make no apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

100% argos

pop in and check out the small leaflets which show the weeky sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Festival is still weeks away, no rush buying. You could pick something up cheap and cheerful in Dunnes or Aldi and pray it doesn't rain heavily all weekend and have something you won't give a **** about if anything happens to it.
    Or pick up something that will take you through a few downpours for a few more bob.Depends really on your budget and if you'd be bothered if anything happens to it.
    Anyhoo id buy from Jackson Sports, great tents for cheap and free delivery, the Vango Alphas are excellent
    http://www.jackson-sports.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=57&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

danniemcq wrote: »
    i've been tempted to buy the above tent but i'm afraid that someone at the picnic will either steal it (had my tent stolen with all my clothes in it last year so it happens!) or it'll just fall apart at a slight knock, looks fairly flimsey! is it?

It might look flimsey but it does quite well in weather.
    Im not sure how well it will do against theft. I guess it would be flimsy in that regard, you could probably grab and drag it away with you after taking the pegs out. Maybe you could out your stuff in a friends more secure tent when leaving the tent, otherwise you might have to buy a big **** off tent to stop people running off with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

Millets may well have a sale on later in the year, but will probably remove the 20% off offer. Go in and ask if they have Outwell pop ups, they're the best quality and were a really good price a few weeks ago(E60). Definitely the best place in Galway for a tent, most knowledgeable staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's also River Deep, Mountain High in the Cornstore, and there's a new sports/outdoor shop opening this week in Kenny on High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Where are my options for getting a new tent at a reasonable price in Galway?

Just try Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

dec25532 wrote: »
    Just try Tuam

They're more in to caravans than tents in Tuam. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fey! wrote: »
    there's a new sports/outdoor shop opening this week in Kenny on High Street.

'Tis open. I had a wander around in it on Monday. Don't remember seeing tents: mainly clothes, work safety gear and backpacks. But I might have just missed 'em.

Advertisement