Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urinary incontinence in Dogs

Options
  • 05-08-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with medications for treating this? Our dog has started 'leaking', it was suspected stress - but we think it's more physical as it seems to happen when she's relaxed. I've been doing a bit of research on DES & PPA and was wondering if anyone here has used them? (on their dogs!)

She's a neutered female dog - prob 4-6? We're not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

not sure she seems very young to start being incontenent,,thats usuallly an old dog thing. Have you had her checked out by the vet ? I'm sure they can do something for her,, best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah, she's been and he reckoned it was stress at the time, but she doesn't seem to do it while stressed. When she's relaxed she tends to leak. He gave her a course of antibiotics in case it was a UTI, nothing changed. And some spray called 'kalm aid' which didn't make a difference either.

So we're thinking it might be more hormonal/physical than mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

hi our dog (jack russel) she is 11 had the same problem at the start of the year.it turned out to be a womb infection. because she wasnt nutered and hadnt been bread! sorry about the bad spelling:D

sorry just realised she is nutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

olaola wrote: »
    Yeah, she's been and he reckoned it was stress at the time, but she doesn't seem to do it while stressed. When she's relaxed she tends to leak. He gave her a course of antibiotics in case it was a UTI, nothing changed. And some spray called 'kalm aid' which didn't make a difference either.

So we're thinking it might be more hormonal/physical than mental.

if everything else in her day is the same ,,her mood,,her eating, drinking ,playing, and shes not in any pain then its propably worth going back to the vet and get him to have another look at her, she may need a more detailed check up,,,hope she gets better soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah, she seems fine in herself. We've booked an appt with the vet this evening, and I found a good article in the Irish Veterinary Journal with loads of info.

It's here if anyone needs it:

http://www.irishveterinaryjournal.com/Links/PDFs/CE-Small/CESA_November_2008.pdf

http://www.irishveterinaryjournal.com/Links/PDFs/CE-Small/CESA_December_2008.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Propalin is an excellent remedy for this, widely available from vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I have 2 Springers (now 7) who got spayed just before their 1st heat. 1 came out fine, the other became slightly incontinent - apparantly this happens to a small percentage of dogs afterwards. We give her a drop of Propalin every evening in her dinner and she is absolutely fine. Every so often she has a "leak" but it's generally if someone else is minding her and doesn't give her a proper dose. OP I don't think it's too much to worry about, once she is on the correct medication, only thing is, she will be on it for the rest of her life.

Advertisement