Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many lessons needed.

• 05-08-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this question is a bit awkward and depends on the driver in question but I was wondering, how many lesson should someone need until that person should be able to drive with confidence and safety?

I'm getting my first lesson this weekend for a two hour session. I'm a quick learner and have gone through the basics in a car park and I'm hoping this 2 hour session will get me to the point I can practice with supervision outside of a dual control car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Rather than a two hour session, you would probably get more benefit if you have 2x 1 hour sessions, maybe a week or two apart. If you have insurance, you could practice what you learned in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Thanks for your reply, I'll actually be taking another 2 hr lesson at same time the following weekend (sorry I should have said that)

I was hoping to do some practice in between if the 2hr's of the first lesson would be enough to get me going. Do ya reckon it would? (accompanied of course)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That should be ok. You'll probably cover quite a bit on your first lesson, mostly on low-traffic roads.

If you're practicing, it's best to practice just what you learned in the lesson. For example, if your lesson didn't take you driving in an urban environment, then don't drive into town!

As for how many lessons - there is no set amount, but when you feel confident about taking the test. Your instructor might tell you when he feels your ready, but then again he is trying to earn money off you so he might make you go on more lessons than strictly necessary (but most are nice!).

Remember, you don't need insurance to drive in a lesson but you do need it to drive on the road without a qualified instructor.

That's grand so, I'm looking forward to it. I heard good things about this instructor hopefully all will go okay. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

first its important without thinking you know where the pedal positions are and your gear changes, this lets you concentrate on the rest of what you need to do, this is where alot of people fail and lose out on there lesson not taking in more important information,

you may be passed this stage but if your not just sit in a car preferably your own start it up put it in first gear release the clutch till the car moves slightly then clutch again, if you keep repeating this for ten to fifteen minutes a day after five days you will not stall the car when driving from the stopped position,

do the same with the gears sit there practicing them from one to the other in different order, both these things can be done without driving on the road or anywhere and are the main problems people have when learning if you get theses things down to T the rest is easy.

• Advertisement

fintonie wrote: »
    first its important without thinking you know where the pedal positions are and your gear changes, this lets you concentrate on the rest of what you need to do, this is where alot of people fail and lose out on there lesson not taking in more important information,

you may be passed this stage but if your not just sit in a car preferably your own start it up put it in first gear release the clutch till the car moves slightly then clutch again, if you keep repeating this for ten to fifteen minutes a day after five days you will not stall the car when driving from the stopped position,

do the same with the gears sit there practicing them from one to the other in different order, both these things can be done without driving on the road or anywhere and are the main problems people have when learning if you get theses things down to T the rest is easy.

That is true, clutch control seems to be fairly difficult. Although the car I had a go at it in was a toyota corolla and the accelerator is very sensitive and the clutch very heavy so it was pretty difficult. Eventually I got used to it (I think). :) I'll try a bit of practice this evening and see if I'm still okay at it. I might take a look at the safe procedures for turning, reversing etc. so I can at least get the formalities completed a little quicker in the lesson too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement