Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Dog Doors vs Non-electronic

Options
  • 05-08-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am looking at having a dog flap installed so that my almost house-trained puppy can get out into the garden while the house I am out. I spoke to the company that installed my patio door and they will make a new double glazed panel with the dog flap installed. They suggested that I source the dog door myself.

Has anyone had one of these installed? I have looked on various websites and there seems to be quite a few different types. I guess the downside of a bog standard dog/catflap is that any all animal could get in or out. So the electronic one seems to be the most secure approach. Would love to hear first hand experience re the type you chose, fitting, size of the gizmo the dog had on wear on its collar, noise the door makes if any, magnet vs RFID etc All intelligence very gratefully accepted.

Thanks

P.S. the dog is a Shih Zu/Pug cross so v small.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I had the infra red one for my three cats, went through numerous tags as they kept losing their collars etc. The door only lasted about a year before the mechanism gave up the ghost (I think it doesn't really appreciate your cats sitting looking out the cat flap and making it open and close repeatedly!). If you're willing to spend the money, there is a microchip scanning one which sounds like it might last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Greengonzo

Thanks for that Blueprint. Could you let me know the make of your infrared one and if you happen to know the make of the microchip on that would be great:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Greengonzo wrote: »
    Thanks for that Blueprint. Could you let me know the make of your infrared one and if you happen to know the make of the microchip on that would be great:)

We have this one:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_flaps_nets/cat_flaps/staywell/127603

It's now set to permanent out only, as we get unwelcome visitors if we leave it open. My male cat has figured out how to open it from the outside by hooking his claw in and pulling, but the other two aren't as bright and have to just knock for admission.

There's two types of microchip cat flap, but I don't know if they'd be big enough for your dog, you'd really have to try it out. My biggest cat is nearly six kilos though, so if your dog is near that it should be fine.

I'd say that a magnetic flap is better than the infra-red anyhow, as the components and flap are cheaper, so you won't be as annoyed if it breaks!

You can get the tags much cheaper on Ebay anyhow.

Advertisement