Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Ferris in the Irish Times

Options
  • 05-08-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch the picture on the front of the Irish Times website today of Martin Ferris meeting the men convicted of killing Gerry McCabe on their way out of prison? Surely this is not the sort of situation most people would like to see a public representative in? It makes a mockery of the political process in this country I think. If the incident had been a sanctioned IRA activity in the first place there may have been cause for justifying his meeting them, but because it wasn't then it's no better than an elected representative from any party meeting with say gangland figures on their way out from prison. Not on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yup. Heard this despicable news on the radio this morning, and just had a look at the photo there now.

Sickening!

Goings-on like this, and yet GA, MF, TF & Co still manage to wonder why "we pick on them" :rolleyes:

Gerry Adams can comment on anything he bloody well likes; he's not even an elected representative, and while he's talking bollox, I don't care anymore - the guy doesn't know the meaning of facts or objectivity, but he has no impact on my life.

Ferris, on the other hand, should have more cop-on. I hope he doesn't have any reason to ring the Gardai for help in the next while; how ironic would that be ?

Of course you don't really need the Gardai if the buddies you pick up from jail have their own AK-47s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

And somehow the Shinners on Boards.ie have claimed that there is an unfair perception that Sinn Fein are still the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Gerry Adams can comment on anything he bloody well likes; he's not even an elected representative,

As far as I'm aware he's a poll-topping MP representing West Belfast.

FTA69 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware he's a poll-topping MP representing West Belfast.

OK, so I left out "in this country". Sue me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Belfast in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Part of Ireland is in the UK, yes, and Irish people in Belfast voted for Gerry Adams. He isn't an elected representative in this state, but he is a representative of Irish people in this particular country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Those people are cold blooded killers, it is sick that a public representative is more concerned about the killers than the victims.
    I'm sure the families of the victims - both the McCabe and his Garda partner who was also shot are finding it hard today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Min wrote: »
    Those people are cold blooded killers, it is sick that a public representative is more concerned about the killers than the victims.
    I'm sure the families of the victims - both the McCabe and his Garda partner who was also shot are finding it hard today.

You can't speak for Martin Ferris

FTA69 wrote: »
    Part of Ireland is in the UK, yes, and Irish people in Belfast voted for Gerry Adams. He isn't an elected representative in this state, but he is a representative of Irish people in this particular country.

Fair point; similar to Irish people in the U.S. voting for Barack Obama, or Irish people living in Dubai voting for Abbai Dubbai.

They can vote for whoever they want. Their choice.

But he's (a) irrelevant to me and (b) represents opinions, biases and prejudices that I disagree with.

So because he's not in "this country", I can ignore him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, not similar to Irish people in the US.

An Irishman, being voted by Irish people on Irish soil. Don't be silly.

As for Jerry McCabe, they were convicted of manslaughter, not murder by a non-jury special criminal court. Let's stick to the facts.

I am of the opinion that the entire situation was a terrible chapter in history. A family was left without a parent, and a wife without a husband. I doubt anybody is or was reveling in his death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

You can't speak for Martin Ferris

No but his actions can.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tds-pictured-with-provos-in-prison-494788.html

Dirty scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Fair point; similar to Irish people in the U.S. voting for Barack Obama, or Irish people living in Dubai voting for Abbai Dubbai.
    Not quite the same though. It's not as if 'Northern Ireland' is an island separate and distinct from the 'Republic of Ireland'. Socially, economically and politically, the two are intertwined.
    But he's (a) irrelevant to me and (b) represents opinions, biases and prejudices that I disagree with.
    How's he irrelevant to you? He's the leader of Sinn Féin - a party which has seats in the Dáil. Maybe it would be more apt to say he's irrelevant to you because you make him irrelevant to you by ignoring him

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dlofnep wrote: »
    As for Jerry McCabe, they were convicted of manslaughter, not murder by a non-jury special criminal court. Let's stick to the facts.
    They were convicted of manslaughter, yes. But I think in the eyes of any right-thinking member of society, someone who rams a police car from behind before jumping out and riddling the occupants with several rounds from an automatic weapon is a murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Does it really matter what Ferris, Adams & Co do anymore? the killing has stopped, and they are an irrelavency to most people here in the South, SF only accounts for less than 10% of the vote, so if they want to celibrate the release of their IRA 'heroes' then let them get on with it > sad bunch that they are.

DoireNod wrote: »
    Not quite the same though. It's not as if 'Northern Ireland' is an island separate and distinct from the 'Republic of Ireland'. Socially, economically and politically, the two are intertwined.

France and Spain are on the same landmass, too. American & Mexico. Yes, there are intertwinings, and maybe more than those because of the size of the island, and the emotive aspect too.

But the fact is that Adams is not elected in this country, so I have no reason to listen to him or his opinion.
    DoireNod wrote: »
    How's he irrelevant to you? He's the leader of Sinn Féin - a party which has seats in the Dáil. Maybe it would be more apt to say he's irrelevant to you because you make him irrelevant to you by ignoring him

No. His party might have a few seats, but and he might be leader, but he - thankfully - has no real impact on my life. As I said, he's not elected in this country.

Plus HE makes HIMSELF further irrelevant to me by spouting bull**** and making me want to puke by "apologising while claiming they should have been released earlier" - weasel words.

I'll listen to anyone, up to a point; but if their words and actions are objectionable and I have to listen to repeated bull****, I'll stop listening. It's understandable, and it applies to Brian Lenihan & Co at this stage, too.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They were convicted of manslaughter, yes. But I think in the eyes of any right-thinking member of society, someone who rams a police car from behind before jumping out and riddling the occupants with several rounds from an automatic weapon is a murderer.

I was banned from politics about 2 years back for suggesting that the farmer who shot that traveller in the back as he escaped on foot was murder. I expect the same rules to be applied across the forum.

"apologising while claiming they should have been released earlier" - weasel words.

He did not say that. He stated that they although they were entitled to early release under the GFA, that they served their time. Find me an article where he states that in his opinion - they should have been released earlier.

I was banned from politics about 2 years back for suggesting that the farmer who shot that traveller in the back as he escaped on foot was murder. I expect the same rules to be applied across the forum.

Tenner bets you did it whilst the case was pending? :)

Tenner bets you did it whilst the case was pending? :)

No, it was after it. Here is my post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52508833&postcount=139

It seems the rules only apply in certain threads and for certain posters.

He stated that [in his opinion] they were entitled to early release under the GFA [but] they served their [full] time.

Accurate clarification or misrepresentation?

Because if "they were entitled to early release" [again, HIS opinion, for the record I completely disagree and reckon they should have been hung for capital murder of a Garda] but "they served their full time", then it's OBVIOUSLY his opinion that "they should have been released earlier".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Camelot wrote: »
    Does it really matter what Ferris, Adams & Co do anymore? the killing has stopped, and they are an irrelavency to most people here in the South, SF only accounts for less than 10% of the vote, so if they want to celibrate the release of their IRA 'heroes' then let them get on with it > sad bunch that they are.

camelot is on the ball and any more discussion is only inflating their egos ie sf/ira

No, it was after it. Here is my post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52508833&postcount=139

It seems the rules only apply in certain threads and for certain posters.

Mods will be mods.:pac:

Accurate clarification or misrepresentation?

Because if "they were entitled to early release" [again, HIS opinion, for the record I completely disagree and reckon they should have been hung for capital murder of a Garda] but "they served their full time", then it's OBVIOUSLY his opinion that "they should have been released earlier".

Sorry, you're distorting the facts and misrepresenting what he said. No, it was not of his OPINION that they should be released - it was FACT that they were ENTITLED to be released under the GFA. He does not give any representation of his opinion in that statement.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So report my post. If you expect the rules to be applied, start by following them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Gda McCabe was murdered. The evidence was that 15 rounds were fired into their vehicle, three of which hit Gda McCabe. Witnesses were intimidated, therefore the prosecution had to go for the manslaughter verdict.

Disturbing to see an elected member of the Oireachtas welcoming these killers out of prison.

Will he or they now assist in getting two other suspects back from SOuth America?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So report my post. If you expect the rules to be applied, start by following them.

Sorry OB - I wasn't referring to your post. You stated that it was opinion. I've no problems with yours. I was referring to the this and the previous post.

Sorry, you're distorting the facts and misrepresenting what he said. No, it was not of his OPINION that they should be released - it was FACT that they were ENTITLED to be released under the GFA. He does not give any representation of his opinion in that statement.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0801/mccabe.html

Also, from http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0594/D.0594.200412070034.html
    J. O'Keeffe
    The Minister must make it clear that the early release of the killers never came within the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. That was stated by the Taoiseach and others before and after the conclusion of the Agreement. It was stated within and without the Dáil, both verbally and in writing, including in a letter sent on behalf of the Government to Mrs. McCabe. The position was also made absolutely clear by the High Court and the Supreme Court, where it was stated that the Government’s power to release is “a quintessentially executive function” and that the decision “that the applicants would not be entitled to consideration for release under the Good Friday Agreement was a policy choice which was entirely within the discretion of the executive to make”.

One must ask why members of Sinn Féin are still claiming, despite the Supreme Court decision, that release of the killers comes within the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Mr Mc. Dowell
    The actions of the offenders in Adare in June 1996 were cold, callous and cowardly. Detective Garda Jerry McCabe was shot twice and Detective Garda Ben O’Sullivan was hit by no less than nine bullets. Let me be absolutely clear that the Government would prefer to see the prisoners serve their full sentences. The Government has never chosen to deal with these issues as a matter of choice in the current political talks. It was an issue raised by Sinn Féin. The Government has consistently maintained that the prisoners do not qualify for release under the Good Friday Agreement, and that remains our position. I have checked that with officials in my Department, and at the talks in Castle buildings it was made abundantly clear that the prisoners would not avail of the provisions set out in the Agreement.

The courts ruled that they were NOT entitled to early release, so how can it be a "fact" ?

Adams' opinion is that they were entitled to it.
    My opinion is that they weren't.
    The Justice Minister and the courts agree with me.

Then again, that doesn't bother me what Adams' opinion is; his opinion is that shooting is "regrettable", while mine is that it is unacceptable; he's OK with the PR that his party gets for going into cushy jail surroundings with murderers for photo-ops; I'd expel someone for doing that.

So I won't blow a fuse over Adams' opinion; like I said I've given up trying to reason with Shinners as to what's acceptable in this country versus in the North.

But do not accuse me of distorting facts and misrepresentation. Next time will be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

maybe if the farmer in question was charged with murder, but then all the witnesses refused to testify after friendly visits from members of the IFA, which coincidentally happened at a time when the guilty party agreed to manslaughter, then you might have more of a point...

as it stands this 'murderers' are released today because they were only charged with manslaughter because their fellow freedom fighters/terrorists/bank robbers silenced the witnesses prior to the trial.
    I understand and accept that post GFA a healthy dose of revisionism and air brushing of history has become the accespted norm, but the fact remains that G. MCabe was murdered in cold blood and his murders got away with it because of witness intimidation.
    IMHO the people who refute this, are disingenuous muppets, with the same mental capacity who believe that the IRA had nothing to do with the Northern Bank robbery. They are either happily lying or mentally retarded (or possibly both)

that the applicants would not be entitled to consideration for release under the Good Friday Agreement was a policy choice which was entirely within the discretion of the executive to make

In any case, the point he was trying to illustrate was that they had served their time that was given to them by the court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I presume that Ferris & Co wont be championing the release of the 'Massereene Barracks' murderers, or the murderers of PC Stephen Carroll in ten years time? > seeing that those particular murders were sanctioned by the 'real IRA' as opposed to the 'Provisional IRA'. :rolleyes:

Advertisement