Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy wont sleep!!!!!

Options
  • 05-08-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have a 12 wk old female cocker spaniel who wont sleep at night......just barks & barks & crys & whines & barks & crys & whines.....get the picture???

We have her nearly 2 weeks, shes great fun & crazy during the day but for the first few nights we made the fatal mistake of bringing her into our bed, then sleeping on the couch with her but the last few nights decided to try her in her own bed in the utility, with her toys, water, hot water bottle next to ticking clock under blanket, light & radio on & no joy......

Nightmare........

Can anyone please offer some advice.....or is it just a matter of waiting for her to get used to it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I had my puppy in the utility at the start when we got him and he just cried for the first few nights eventually he calmed down.
    But then he started up again and just would not settle.

One night I was so tired I got up after he had been roaring for an hour and put him outseide and ... *silence*
    He just seemed to prefer being in his pen outside ??

Though someone did mention to me was he beside a freezer or a fridge as sometimes these can emit a pitch that's distressing to the dogs? So maybe that's it for you?

Have you her in a crate?
    Some people doing crate training found that putting her in her crate and maybe near your bedroom works and gradually move the crate bit by bit at night to where you want her to eventually sleep.

good luck with her! Oh and any pics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

DON'T DO THAT!

Like a kid! wear her out before bed. Long walk in the evening and a shorter walk before bed. Keep her from snoozing When you can.
    in her bed wrap a ticking clockin an old smelly t-shirt(for your smell and a heart-beat)
    Put bed at other side of the house and ignore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You just need to be patient and not give in, you already got her in the habit of being with you from the start so it will take a while to get her used to the new routine.
    Try tiring her out just before bedtime, and put her where you want her to sleep and dont give in. She could cry for hours but the moment you give her any attention, whether it be talking to her or going down to her she will know that when she cries she gets attention, so you just need to be strong.

You cannot walk her too far yet, shes only young, its 5mins per month of age as a rule, but lots of playtime before bed and maybe a short walk outside just to get her bit tired should help.

As Jinxi said, just ignore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

BENYLIN :D

kavoweb wrote: »
    BENYLIN :D

Never give your animals any medication that wasnt prescribed by the vet as it could be harmful or toxic to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

i pretty sure he was messin

Oh I just remembered playing music not loud metal or anything :P but the radio or a cd on might help a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

just kiddin bout the BENYLIN.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mactayto

jen_23 wrote: »
    I had my puppy in the utility at the start when we got him and he just cried for the first few nights eventually he calmed down.
    But then he started up again and just would not settle.

One night I was so tired I got up after he had been roaring for an hour and put him outseide and ... *silence*
    He just seemed to prefer being in his pen outside ??

Though someone did mention to me was he beside a freezer or a fridge as sometimes these can emit a pitch that's distressing to the dogs? So maybe that's it for you?

Have you her in a crate?
    Some people doing crate training found that putting her in her crate and maybe near your bedroom works and gradually move the crate bit by bit at night to where you want her to eventually sleep.

good luck with her! Oh and any pics :D
    Thanks Jen... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28899&id=1091774996&l=470599ad82

kavoweb wrote: »
    just kiddin bout the BENYLIN.....:rolleyes:

Oh thats ok then.:)

• Advertisement

Ya I had her listening to Today FM but maybe Lyric might be a better idea by night

andreac wrote: »
    You just need to be patient and not give in, you already got her in the habit of being with you from the start so it will take a while to get her used to the new routine.
    Try tiring her out just before bedtime, and put her where you want her to sleep and dont give in. She could cry for hours but the moment you give her any attention, whether it be talking to her or going down to her she will know that when she cries she gets attention, so you just need to be strong.

You cannot walk her too far yet, shes only young, its 5mins per month of age as a rule, but lots of playtime before bed and maybe a short walk outside just to get her bit tired should help.

As Jinxi said, just ignore!!
    It aint easy though she's got this heart piercing howl that goes through you......It aint easy when your in bed trying to watch the shield!!!!!

I know its hard but you really have to not give in and just ignore if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I'd ditch the clock. Irritating noise. The puppy has, by now, long forgotton the heartbeat sensation.

I'd also ditch the hot water bottle, as they get cold.

Turn off all machines - no noises, no lights.

No DAP - dog appeasing pheromone - as that didn't work for me.

Get the puppy used to periods of separation from people: start off by putting the puppy in the utility room for 5 minutes. Just walk out the door with no goodbyes or words. Throw one piece of kibble or "Coachie"(get at vet's place) at the dog while closing door after you. (Dog learns to associate your leaving with something nice happening, rather than with loss) Return in 1 minute but only if the dog is not whining (never reinforce undesirable behaviour). Don't speak to the dog or even gaze at it for 5 minutes after your return into the room. (I know this is hard, but this kind of behaviour shows your dog that you are the Alpha. After 5 minutes, caress the dog etc.)

Do this again, later, this time increasing the time to 2 minutes.

Gradually increase the times until puppy is used to being left alone for 2 hours during the day. Introduce a small soft kong toy, with some treat inside it for these longer absences. Puppies chew and chew and chew.... Even an old shoe! Have a box (we use a small crate) in the room with the dogs' toys in it. They love to root around in those and pick out their favourite toy.

Routine routine routine! Same bedtime every night. Feed at same times every day.

Tire the dog out before bedtime.

Read a good dog psychology book.

If you are still having difficulties, please pm me for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Quick question - do you have a tumble drier on in the utility while the puppy is trying to sleep?
    When we visit my g/f's folks, our cocker hates it when the drier goes on, as it makes the room hot and humid.
    He'll whine and complain, so we try not to have it on while he's in that room.

Other than that, I think you know yourself, that you're going to have to tough it out until she gets used to the sleeping idea.
    I agree with the seperation training - get her used to you not being there while she's a puppy, otherwise there'll be awful problems at a later stage.

I'd ditch the clock. Irritating noise. The puppy has, by now, long forgotton the heartbeat sensation.

I'd also ditch the hot water bottle, as they get cold.

Turn off all machines - no noises, no lights.

No DAP - dog appeasing pheromone - as that didn't work for me.

Get the puppy used to periods of separation from people: start off by putting the puppy in the utility room for 5 minutes. Just walk out the door with no goodbyes or words. Throw one piece of kibble or "Coachie"(get at vet's place) at the dog while closing door after you. (Dog learns to associate your leaving with something nice happening, rather than with loss) Return in 1 minute but only if the dog is not whining (never reinforce undesirable behaviour). Don't speak to the dog or even gaze at it for 5 minutes after your return into the room. (I know this is hard, but this kind of behaviour shows your dog that you are the Alpha. After 5 minutes, caress the dog etc.)

Do this again, later, this time increasing the time to 2 minutes.

Gradually increase the times until puppy is used to being left alone for 2 hours during the day. Introduce a small soft kong toy, with some treat inside it for these longer absences. Puppies chew and chew and chew.... Even an old shoe! Have a box (we use a small crate) in the room with the dogs' toys in it. They love to root around in those and pick out their favourite toy.

Routine routine routine! Same bedtime every night. Feed at same times every day.

Tire the dog out before bedtime.

Read a good dog psychology book.

If you are still having difficulties, please pm me for more info.

Brilliant advice :)

Quick question - do you have a tumble drier on in the utility while the puppy is trying to sleep?
    When we visit my g/f's folks, our cocker hates it when the drier goes on, as it makes the room hot and humid.
    He'll whine and complain, so we try not to have it on while he's in that room.

Other than that, I think you know yourself, that you're going to have to tough it out until she gets used to the sleeping idea.
    I agree with the seperation training - get her used to you not being there while she's a puppy, otherwise there'll be awful problems at a later stage.
    Tumble dryer ya, but never on. Cheers.

mactayto wrote: »
    Tumble dryer ya, but never on. Cheers.
    Thanks all for the brilliant advice......If Daisy May wont settle......I'll be back for more!

mactayto wrote: »

Awhhhh :) She's so sweet! What's her name?

jen_23 wrote: »
    Awhhhh :) She's so sweet! What's her name?
    Daisy May!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have a clingy 12 week old pup..crate training is the only answer in my book. Have the crate comfy and beside your bed so you can put your hand down to reassure the dog in the night. Also a puppy that age needs to get outside for a week and sometimes poops at night as well so you must be prepared to get up and let the dog out. Some dogs are better than others at holding it in but a lot of pups can't hold their wee all night.

My guy cries

when when he needs to be let out and then once he's put back in his crate depending on how tired he is he'll give a little whine and settle down or just zonk out.

Keep the crate open somewhere during the day for him so he can start to feel comfortable going in and out by himself.

Don't blame the dog if you started off int he bed and then removed him, they are still very much babies at that age and can get themselves into a right state if left alone too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 laurencampion

had this prob with my pup but three nights of ignoring all through the night did work. thankfully i hav no near by neighbours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

My puppy barked and howled through the night in her crate for the better part of the first week that I had her sleeping in the kitchen. Someone suggested that I move her crate to my bedroom, but that isn't an option for me (rented place, dog only allowed downstairs on tiles/wooden floors) so I just stuck it out. Got very little sleep for a while, but she got the idea eventually.

These days she will even get in her crate voluntarily at bed time, she knows the routine, and she will settle straight down and sleep through the night. We still don't get much past 7am most mornings (she seems to like getting up shortly after sunrise) but I expect that will improve with time.

I would definitely advise crate training, and get the pup used to being left alone for short periods during the day. You don't want an adult dog with seperation anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

we had our puppy in a crate and found it brilliant plus if there was any mess in the morning u know where to find it :D try a radio station that just has people talking on it that might settle her better than music we used the crate in the kitchen so that we could put her in for bed and then do some things in the room before we left she als fell asleep while we were walking round doing bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

You can buy little cartons of puppy milk in the supermarket. I used to heat that up for my pup and bottle feed slightly warm. He was just looking for his mother.

Then after another few weeks I used to clip one of those water bottles that rabbits use to his crate and he took to that for another few weeks. He was fine after that.

Then again thinking of it he sleeps in my bed most nights now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My puppy slept until 6:30am this morning - woohoo :D It's been 4:00 - 5:00 am starts (he cries to go out to the loo) since we got him last week so the extra hour this morning was welcomed. I have him in his crate beside my bed at night - I bring him out to the loo before I go to bed and then into the crate. I got him a heat pad on zooplus (a bit pricey but it was worth it because I've been knackered all week!) and that really seemed to relax him last night. It was still warm this morning - he was awake snuggling beside it!

Advertisement