Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting some 'Sky' channels without Sky

• 05-08-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum, so feel free to move if necessary. I'm trying to find out how to pick up channels such as Nat Geo without a Sky sub, or whether this is even possible.

Am all set to move away from Sky which I got in for the year as a bit of an intro and get myself a MVision HD200 combo or AZBox, but there's one or two things I'm still trying to clarify.

I'm happy with the free channels on 28e - Film4, Film24, BBCs, etc . . . and the Irish channels via DTT (which my new telly can pick up natively), but I think the kids might like to keep up with Nat Geo and some of those types of channels. I have a second dish currently pointed at 19e and connected to one of those Lidl Silvercrest SL65s. I can re-align the dish as required if it helps with the problem.

From everything I can gather I'm not going to pick up Nat Geo in the clear anywhere, but what are the options around picking it up encrypted and paying someone (not Sky) for the sub ?

In other words, given a particular channel which might be carried on different satellites and under different subscription models, how do I go about finding out how to 'buy' it ? Or is it as simple as buying one CAM once and having the decryption for loads of stuff forever ?

I know (well, I guess) the rest of Europe must have options to pick up some of these channels from sats other than 28e, so I imagine the channels are carried on them. I'm trying to work out how to access them - and I'm not talking about not paying for something that is chargeable, in case anyone is worried.

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I think Nat Geo UK is only carried on 28.2 with Sky. There are other variants but not sure if any of these are in English. Maybe the HD variant is English only and that is carried on other providers.

You can have a search here:
    http://www.lyngsat-address.com/ln/NGC-UK.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can only buy a sub. Some are more expensive than Sky. There is less chance of saving money on a non-Sky sub of nat-geo than of Football.

All are difficult to get here as you usually need an Address elsewhere. You also need a suitable CAM for the official viewing card and a 80cm to 1.2m dish depending on satellite. Not all beams on all satellites "visible" in Ireland can be received. Some Satellites above the Horizon have no beams anywhere near Ireland.

Channels such as Paramount, Discovery, NatGeo, Animal Planet, etc are Pay TV everywhere.

It's also illegal to decrypt payTv in Ireland without correct payment. Theft of Service. It's illegal even to explain how to do it or prevent investigation of those stealing a service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement