Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Wireless Modem

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

I have a Netgear VPN111 and am wondering if there is a faster/more stable modem out there.

I have a 7MB connection from Eircom and am looking for a faster connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's your line, not the Modem that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

watty wrote: »
    It's your line, not the Modem that matters.

watty's right. Unless your wireless connection to the router is less than 7mbps then there's no need to get another router ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

boccy23 wrote: »
    I have a 7MB connection from Eircom and am looking for a faster connection.

Magnet, Smart and BT do faster DSL, on a small number of exchanges. UPC and Digiweb offer non DSL broadband, at higher speeds, in certain areas. Your modem is largely meaningless for any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

Cheers lads. I'll try and lug the PC to the main phone line and check it there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

A friend of mine had purchased a Mains power signal adaptor. This uses the mains wires to send networking signals through the house. I simply plug into the mains socket at the main telephone point and again where my PC was. There is an RJ45 connection on these plug in units which I plug into the router at one end and the PC at the other.

Transmission rate went from approx. 3MB to over 6MB instantly! :D

Happy days and no need to run wires or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So it was a poor quality wireless signal giving you these issues?

Advertisement