Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid bike has gone and ruined everything. Possibly forever.

• 05-08-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all,

My bike has died. :( Started loosing power as I was coming into the estate last night. I geared her down and managed to get her into the driveway, so bike still had something going. Put her into neutral and the engine continued to turn over but was stuttering.

I gave it a bit of choke to see what would happen and engine cuts out (which usually happens when I first start up the bike anyways)

Thing is now the bike’s completely dead as in there’s no power for lights, horn, etc. as if the battery was dead or something.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :confused:

P.s. it's a Kawasaki Er 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Use a multimeter to check if the battery still has a charge left in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

So the Reg/Rec or alternator is shagged. Get it fixed and get over it...

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you have a mutlimeter see what voltage the battery has. If you need the number of a good mechanic let me know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If you have a mutlimeter see what voltage the battery has. If you need the number of a good mechanic let me know ;)

Cheers Kami,

I've a sneaking suspicion it might link into one of those funny noises I like so much!
    :D

Cheers Kami,

I've a sneaking suspicion it might link into one of those funny noises I like so much!
    :D

:D I was just thinking the same thing, of how you knew what each of them was :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Same thing happened on my CBR 2501 and it was the reg/rec.
    I got a heavy duty one on ebay for like 20 quid the oem ones are a bit rubbish (on Honda anyway)

D-Boy wrote: »
    Same thing happened on my CBR 2501 and it was the reg/rec.
    I got a heavy duty one on ebay for like 20 quid the oem ones are a bit rubbish (on Honda anyway)

That'd be my guess, shouldn't be too hard to replace, clip on connectors I'd imagine.

Cheers lads-Appreciate all the help.

Actually now I think of it the bike made a nasty clicking noise about half the time I've been trying to start it up the last while.

Would fit in with the r/r thing.

I've heard talk that it can fcuk the battery up when it goes-heard anything similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

Do you have petrol in the tank? Did your battery die from trying to start it up.

Do you have petrol in the tank? Did your battery die from trying to start it up.

Jeez petrol was actually extremely low alright-the measure is usually pretty inaccurate so it's possible it ran outta petrol alright.

Dunno precisely when the battery died-engine cut out when I gave it a bit of choke and everything was dead after that so i guess it musta been then the battery died.

you reckon it's something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Jeez petrol was actually extremely low alright-the measure is usually pretty inaccurate so it's possible it ran outta petrol alright.

Dunno precisely when the battery died-engine cut out when I gave it a bit of choke and everything was dead after that so i guess it musta been then the battery died.

you reckon it's something else?

Put some petrol in and try and push start it. :D

If that does not work, it is probably the regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Take your battery out and see if theres any bulges on it, could be that the reg/rec was suppling to much volts and fried the battery. If it did, then you will need a new battery as well as a reg/rec

Well, did you put petrol in it yet? :D:D

Advertisement