Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Time Capsule

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Guys
    Can anyone shed some light on a query.

I need to upgrade my wifi in the house as the eircom router is not doing what I need.

I use my iphone for surfing and like to unwind with it at night, check emails etc but I have noticed that I am not able to get a broadband connection in the bedroom.

I have been looking at the mac products, with particular focus on airport extreme and also a back up, time capsule.

Here is my question, if I buy the time capsule, do i need to get an addational wifi unit, from what i can see in the description it seems to be a wifi transmitter.

Please ignore my ignorance regarding tekkie terms as I am a not a tech head but just want to make sure I dont buy the wrong things

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ci2co

Hi Nanook,
    Here is my question, if I buy the time capsule, do i need to get an addational wifi unit, from what i can see in the description it seems to be a wifi transmitter.

You are correct, the TimeCapule is like an Airport Extreme but also has a build in HardDrive for storage.
    Not the cheapest option, but the unit is easy to configure and looks nice.

Good Luck,

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

cheers ci2c0, exactly what i needed and saved 170 yoyo's

The time capsule has dropped in price as they have announced the 2tb model but i never would have any need for that

Do you know how good the broadcast range is with the time capsule. would it be better than the the eircom router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ci2co

Hi nanook,

I could not tell you which one has a better broadcast range as I only ever used a TC. I refrain from answering your question if you don't mind...

-C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Hi,
    I previously had an eircom supplied netopia router and when I switched broadband providers I got a time capsule. It has an excellent range, like all wireless routers you have to find out which channel gives you the best range.

An airport express can easily be used to increase the range of your signal. But I find the time capsule signal easily reaches the third story of my current abode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

once again, many thanks for the help.

its time to buy a time capsule

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

The newer time capsules also are dual band in that they broadcast a wireless signal that can be configured for guests and allows no access to network drives etc and also a wireless signal for access to same. this can be handy.

However in these recessionary times I would consider the extreme and adding a hard drive to its USB port,this will work out cheaper. If you have a mac they are very handy for back ups via time machine etc., if you don't have a mac there are cheaper options available. Have you tried changing the channel that your eircom router broadcasts on to see if it will reach your bedroom than?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

We keep saying this on here but be very careful before buying a new wireless router without attempting some diagnosis in the house.

The performance of wireless equipment is very difficult to predict in any particular situation.

Just because xxxx machine is great in one location it does not follow that will be the same elsewhere - so experiment with the netopia before spending loads of money.

could you borrow a router from someone to see how that performs in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

I would confidently say that the apple airport extreme base station has phenomenol coverage, swapped out a linksys and netgear and there is no comparison. The wireless range and throughput is spectacular. Expensive but essential.

Advertisement