Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expensive vs cheap products?

• 05-08-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

In general, which products do you splash out on and which do you buy cheap?

For me:

I find that the cheaper eye-shadows, nail varnishes, and lip products are just as good as the expensive ones. I've never found a decent cheap eyeliner that stays on, so I usually get Dior kohl liner, it's really good. I used to always use Lancome mascaras, but I recently got the Bourjois clubbing one and it's just as good - very dramatic, but I don't wear mascara unless I'm going out anyways. I can't get a good cheap foundation - and believe me I've tried! - so I'm currently using Lancome Tient Idole. And I use Bronze Express bronzer, which is fairly expensive but definitely worth it.

I know it seems like most of my make-up is fairly expensive, and you'd think it would add up really quickly seeing as I use it every day, but I actually find that the expensive products (especially foundation) seem to last a lot longer than the cheap ones, and you need to use less of them to get a good result. So I think it doesn't work out much more expensive in the long run!

As regards other beauty products, I don't buy expensive hair products (except John Frieda serum!), skin products, make-up removers, etc. Just Dove or Nivea etc.

I'd probably be willing to pay a lot for a decent fake tan, but I've never found one I like, so I've pretty much given up on it and just use a bit of bronzer instead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I find that super cheap eyeshadows arent the best. But I think bourjois and max factor ones are just as good as the designers.

Foundation wise, I've done cheap and I've done expensive and Im happy with no 7 mousse which is 15 quid.

Mascara wise I use Max factor's masterpiece max, but that was due to it's rave reviews. Might give the bourgois one a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

gosh are fantastic for eye shadows, dramatic colours, made in same factory as mac and not too expensive. Bourjois have nuice foundations nad lovely concealer, and lovely eyeshadows (gloss too gloopy) also ave the gosh primer and foundation (love LOVE the primer, its like 18 euro and its very like elizabeth arden morning serum retailinga t 30, the foundation is really nice for the price and i wear that during the day, and for special occassions its the clarins!) Benefit and dior have gret mascaras but not long after opening them they go clumpy so i love LOVE LOVE the essence one, its like 2 euro so you can afford to keep one in your bag in your car at work! only thing i wouldnt skimp on is perfume like the imitation tommy girl and that. h and m have lovely lip glosses, i find the mac ones are too sticky. the benetint is the best blusher, have mine for months now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Essence liquid eyeliner. By far the best out there. Designer or high street! Lasts all day and the brush is small enough that it doesnt go everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

The best bargain makeup I've ever found is Claire's Accessories nail varnishes - €4 for a pack of three! They do great colours, they go on really easily (I'm crap at putting on nail varnish), and the best part is that they dry ridiculously fast so you don't need to wait around for ages.

Now, I will admit they don't last too long before chipping, but that suits me fine as I change colours every few days anyway. You'd get a good 2-3 days out of them anyway. And I find that with the long lasting ones (like Nails Inc), when you try to take them off, it takes aaaages. Very frustrating. At least with the Claires ones they come off with one swipe of remover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I love GOSH eyeliner, it's the best I've ever used and it's quite cheap! I also really like Essence and Barry M eyeshadows, they're so bright and I find they stay on pretty well too.

At the minute I'm using Benefit mascara and Max Factor mascara but cos the benefit was given to me and I can't afford Dior mascara which I love. I love Boots own brand nail polish too, cheap and cheerful.

Most of what I use is on the cheap side really! I can't afford more expensive stuff but I love what I have anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I seem to be the opposite to a lot of people, my foundation is cheap but everything else is more expensive! I use Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Porcelain, it matches my skin exactly and goes on really well.

I LOVE Gosh Extreme liquid eyeliners, they literally last for days and still don't wear off me. Their pencils are OK too but not as good. I prefer pencils for the lower lids cos liquid gets all over my eyelashes!

For blusher, I've had my Bebefit Benetint for 2 years now and I still have half the bottle left- I use it every day!

Highlighter is High Beam by Benefit- you only need a tiny bit.

Mascara is some L'Oreal waterproof one for nights out, and Bourjois Easy-Off for daytime (I love that stuff).

For my lips I use Covergirl's new Outlast stains, I find they are really easy to put on and you can't feel them- I hate the feeling of havign anything on my lips.

Most of my eyeshadows are Barry M (medium price range) with the odd bit of Urban Decay and Shishiedo. I don't like cheap eyeshadow at all, I find you have to cake it on to be able to see it and it wears off really fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Magenta wrote: »

Mascara is some L'Oreal waterproof one for nights out, and Bourjois Easy-Off for daytime (I love that stuff).

Bourjois Easy-Off, I never heard of that one! I presume it does what it says on the tin and comes off easily yeah? Might be worth a try, I hardly ever wear mascara simply because it's too much hassle trying to get it off.
    I don't like cheap eyeshadow at all, I find you have to cake it on to be able to see it and it wears off really fast.

Have you ever tried Bourjois eyeshadows? My current favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm basically obsessed with make up and not bothered about price at all really, I'll try anything once. At the moment, I'm using MAC foundation, bronzer and blotting powder.
    I use primer by Smashbox or ThatGal by Benefit.
    Loooove Benefit's HighBeam, but have the Penney's version too and it was only one fifty so can't complain at all really about that one!
    I use Max Factor mascara, the false lash effect one - AMAZING.
    NARS blusher in Orgasm. Read about it sooo much, just had to buy it and love it.
    MAC liquid eye liner. Great, doesn't come off even if I rub my eyes!
    Eye shadows, I have a few MAC one's and loads from Penney's! I like chopping and changing colours so cheap is always good.
    Rimmel for nail varnish and lip stick. Always! Loads of colour choice, good price and not bad quality!

So yeah, while I am sucker for the likes of MAC, I love anything cheap and cheerful too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im middle of the road to cheap on most things bar foundation.

I ran amok in Penneys today (shower gels are €1) so bought a load of them. I went into L'Occitane in Dundrum yest and nearly fainted at €17.95 for a shower gel.:eek: Its on you for 4 seconds!!! Unreal money.

Mac are good for eyeshadows that seem to last longer than alot of others. Boots cucumber face wash is a godsend followed by Astral moisturiser. My mam and granny used it and both are practically wrinkle free. Lidl had a brilliant facial cleansing foam but seem to have discontinued it :(.

I truly believe that its not worth spending ridiculous amounts of money on products (face washes,cleansers,body washes etc) that are washed on and off in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

it all really depends on how much money i have when buying...

i heart gosh and my foundation is gosh 12 or 13€ i think... also love isa dora =D so pretty

i only wear mac lipstick (cause they're the only ones that do my colour and i have to get it in london!!!)

mac eye shaddow does seem to last forever tho =D

sparkles:) xxxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I generally have a mixed bag, but I always have a good mascara, either YSL faux cils of a lancome one, I can't leave the house without it on. I don't scrimp on moisturisers or cleansers either, I generally buy dermalogica, I'd rather cheap make up than skincare.

Bourjois Easy-Off, I never heard of that one! I presume it does what it says on the tin and comes off easily yeah? Might be worth a try, I hardly ever wear mascara simply because it's too much hassle trying to get it off.

Have you ever tried Bourjois eyeshadows? My current favourite!

Yeah Easy Off (think thats the name of it but it could be Waterproof Easy or something) is great, comes right off and never smudges!

Yeah I've tried Bourjois shadows, wasn't mad about them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I seem to be the opposite to a lot of people, my foundation is cheap but everything else is more expensive! I use Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Porcelain, it matches my skin exactly and goes on really well.

I LOVE Gosh Extreme liquid eyeliners, they literally last for days and still don't wear off me. Their pencils are OK too but not as good. I prefer pencils for the lower lids cos liquid gets all over my eyelashes!

For blusher, I've had my Bebefit Benetint for 2 years now and I still have half the bottle left- I use it every day!

Highlighter is High Beam by Benefit- you only need a tiny bit.

For my lips I use Covergirl's new Outlast stains, I find they are really easy to put on and you can't feel them- I hate the feeling of havign anything on my lips.

Most of my eyeshadows are Barry M (medium price range) with the odd bit of Urban Decay and Shishiedo. I don't like cheap eyeshadow at all, I find you have to cake it on to be able to see it and it wears off really fast.

Do you buy covergirl products online or have you found them on sale somewhere?
    I used to love their stuff but can't get it in any stores! :(
    +1 for Isa Dora eyeshadows. I have one of their eyeshadow quads and it's great.

bronte wrote: »
    Do you buy covergirl products online or have you found them on sale somewhere?
    I used to love their stuff but can't get it in any stores! :(

I'm living on the other side of the Pond at the moment, I'd better stock up before I leave if it's hard to get back home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'm living on the other side of the Pond at the moment, I'd better stock up before I leave if it's hard to get back home!

Yeah it's disappeared from here completely from what I can see. Pity.

I spend the most money on mascara, foundation and concealer. The rest like powder, blush etc are all cheapo Boots brands and I see no difference personally from more expensive brands with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know it seems like most of my make-up is fairly expensive, and you'd think it would add up really quickly seeing as I use it every day, but I actually find that the expensive products (especially foundation) seem to last a lot longer than the cheap ones, and you need to use less of them to get a good result. So I think it doesn't work out much more expensive in the long run!

Good way of thinking!! ;) I have that Benefit High Beam for years (prob should throw it out but doesn't smell nasty so I think I'm okay).
    Mascara wise I use Max factor's masterpiece max, but that was due to it's rave reviews. Might give the bourgois one a shot.
    I find Mascaras to be a real hit and miss with me. I've quite small eyelashes so wands with big brushes are a no-no and I can't do thickening mascaras coz they just clump on me. YSL mascara is good but dries up REALLY quickly. MAC mascaras are ****e (there's a reason they're cheap!) and I just bought Benefit BadGirl mascara and I see no real difference from the Collection 2000 one I used before. I'll be on the hunt for a Max Factor 2000 Calories when this is finished!
    messygirl wrote: »
    gosh are fantastic for eye shadows, dramatic colours, made in same factory as mac and not too expensive. Bourjois have nuice foundations nad lovely concealer, and lovely eyeshadows (gloss too gloopy) also ave the gosh primer and foundation (love LOVE the primer, its like 18 euro and its very like elizabeth arden morning serum retailinga t 30, the foundation is really nice for the price and i wear that during the day, and for special occassions its the clarins!)
    MAC is Canadian, Gosh is Danish. (I dunno why but it annoys me). But Bourjois are owned by Chanel. The eyeshadows and blushers are practically the same and some gorge colours too!
    Novella wrote: »
    NARS blusher in Orgasm. Read about it sooo much, just had to buy it and love it.
    I reeeally want to get this blusher as I've read so much about it but I've already got about 40 blushers/bronzers/creams and am forcing myself not to buy it. :( I have to be strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Larianne wrote: »
    I reeeally want to get this blusher as I've read so much about it but I've already got about 40 blushers/bronzers/creams and am forcing myself not to buy it. :( I have to be strong.

I'm the same, cannot stop buying make up! One more little investment won't hurt and honestly, this one is worth it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Novella wrote: »
    I'm the same, cannot stop buying make up! One more little investment won't hurt and honestly, this one is worth it! :)

Ah well I used to work for MAC hence all the make-up. You're just crazzz-eeee! :)

I think a mix is good. It's nice to treat yourself to a good mascara or lipgloss or whatever.

Advertisement