Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locks and chains in Dublin city center

• 05-08-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Eh...need help locating a shop

Was told by some guys that there's a shop called something similar to 'Dublin Locks and Chains' it is somewhere off George street.
    Reason is I want to buy 1. a yellow cord for my disc lock so I can have a reminder that the disk lock is on [yes I did make a mistake and now there's a crack in my front mudguard :( ] 2. Same guys told me the shop could sell a mount for the disc lock which would hold it on the rear foot peg arm.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here knows where it is or where I could get similar stuff. I want to get a new mudguard when she goes in for service soon but I don't want to crack it the next week as they are 200 bills a pop. Help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Dorsanty wrote: »
    yes I did make a mistake and now there's a crack in my front mudguard :(

lmao, everyone does it, I doubt you'll forget about it next time.

Cotters in Ballymount have a few chains and locks, and anything they don't have I'm sure they'd order in for you. http://cottermc.com/webshop/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Eh...need help locating a shop

Was told by some guys that there's a shop called something similar to 'Dublin Locks and Chains' it is somewhere off George street.
    Reason is I want to buy 1. a yellow cord for my disc lock so I can have a reminder that the disk lock is on [yes I did make a mistake and now there's a crack in my front mudguard :( ] 2. Same guys told me the shop could sell a mount for the disc lock which would hold it on the rear foot peg arm.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here knows where it is or where I could get similar stuff. I want to get a new mudguard when she goes in for service soon but I don't want to crack it the next week as they are 200 bills a pop. Help!

The easiest way to avoid damage is to always park towards a solid object so you can't drive off, it's been learned the hard way be several people. Some scumbag could remove the cable over your handle bars.

Not too sure about where to get the mount but all it'll be is a bit of steel with 2 holes. Try a local hardware store they may have something that will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Del2005 wrote: »
    The easiest way to avoid damage is to always park towards a solid object so you can't drive off, it's been learned the hard way be several people. Some scumbag could remove the cable over your handle bars.

Not too sure about where to get the mount but all it'll be is a bit of steel with 2 holes. Try a local hardware store they may have something that will do.

I try to make sure I have to roll the bike a foot or two before I can move off under power. Made the mistake in a rush of course, took my chain off and thought I was done. Pushed back and then the sudden stop and crack, followed by "d'oh!". Place where I'll be getting the mudguard replaced did tell me a few stories though of broken forks after full rev taking off from stand still.

Out of interest where do people keep their disc locks when they are on the road? In backpack, pocket, topbox?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Theres a strap across the pillion seat on my bike, I usually latch it onto that when I'm too lazy to throw it under the seat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Out of interest where do people keep their disc locks when they are on the road? In backpack
    Not a good idea
    pocket,
    Never it'll make a mess if you fall
    topbox?
    Under the seat or get a bit of steal and take a non structual bolt/screw out and attached to that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Hi op
    I see your on the northside. Theres a small bike shop on the malahide road. I think its opposite the goblet. I was in there last week and they had disc lock reminders for €7 or you could try ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

The shop you might be looking for is Fogarty's on Dame St (near Dublin Castle), they do locks, safes, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could be a cheap skate and use a clothes peg :D

Just peg it onto one of your levers or on a cable that covers your ignition block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I actually saw a bike the other day with 2 disc locks, one at either end of the disc. So the bike can only move about 1 inch before it would stop. Preventing that damaging momentum force from building.

Thanks all for the tips on where to get the cable and mount. I probably should have thought of eBay too, seems I don't think of going online when it comes to the bike. Strange since I do for most other things.

Advertisement