Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft II

Options
  • 05-08-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to this?

From the gameplay footage it looks great, very good mix between the classic units and the new fangled ones..

Haven't heard too much about a release date, should be around xmas?

Would be great to cobble together Irish players when it comes out and have fun with 4v4's etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think these games have gotten too complicated. I used to love starcraft and warcraft 3 (I think it was 3 I played all those years ago) but I try playing the latest ones and they just throw to much stuff at you.

Maybe I'm just getting old.... Games these days... Back in my day.... mumble.... zzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

jonny72 wrote: »
    Anyone else looking forward to this?
    Yes. Me. Very Much.

Too bad it will probably be next summer before it sees the light of day, unless I get a beta key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Tis a bit worrying that there is talk for both starcraft2 and diablo3, that you have to authenticate through battle.net online even for a LAN game.

That is lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I was looking forward to it until recentley when i was informed they are selling SC2 in 3 seperate packages, zerg, protoss and Terran which will whack the price of the game up to probably near 100 quid or more which is just gay.

They can fuck off too tibet for all i care with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

nix wrote: »
    I was looking forward to it until recentley when i was informed they are selling SC2 in 3 seperate packages, zerg, protoss and Terran which will whack the price of the game up to probably near 100 quid or more which is just gay.

:eek:
    surely not?
    thats crazy

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    surely not?
    thats crazy

My exact reaction too, it was confirmed to me on this forum however i can't remember for the life of me which thread it was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Spunge wrote: »
    surely not?
    thats crazy
    It will be 3 separate games alright, the content for each and price is unknown IIRC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CARRIER HAS ARRIVED

ill be on this game like a fly on sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Jazzy wrote:
    CARRIER HAS ARRIVED

Somebody call for an exterminator?
    It will be 3 separate games alright, the content for each and price is unknown IIRC.

You could just wait for the inevitable 3-in-1 battle chest to be released.

I'll be picking it up on launch though, loads of time to scrimp the pennies together.

Its not the money, its the principle! Dont rip meh off! :mad:

Oh who am i kiddin, ill prob be kickin the door down ofsome shop on launch day :(

But im only gonna get one of the three and become amazing with them, can ya just get one of the 3 and still partake in all aspects of multiplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

nix wrote: »

True, but all 3 races will be playable multiplayer in the first release, and multiplayer on battlenet/vs mates is all I'll get getting it for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Game has been pushed to unknown date in 2010 according to press release from Activision.

Also means a knock-on delay for Diablo III also which sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I have a beta key for it from Blizzcon 2008, im looking forward to it but moreso Diablo 3 :eek:

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

http://www.complexitygaming.com/index.php?c=news&id=1119

Delayed to 2010 as ongarite says.
    Also:
    "The upgraded Battle.net is an integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward. This extra development time will be critical to help us realize our vision for the service."

Pretty much confirms that Battle.net will be the new best friend / enemy. LAN games will also run through it... :(

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dont mind that they are releasing it in three installments. Its Blizzard (Billivision or Activard i suppose), so you know that its going to be a quality release. I'd buy it for the cinematics alone tbh. They are better then most films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Looking forward to this, as is South Korea. Haven't played a decent RTS since Warcraft 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

ongarite wrote: »
    Game has been pushed to unknown date in 2010 according to press release from Activision.

Also means a knock-on delay for Diablo III also which sucks.

It's not like we didn't see it coming :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60073461&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cant wiat for this starcraft was one of the first games i ever played..loved the lan games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Stupid game delays, "You must hire additional developers"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

To be honest, even though I loved Starcraft, this game will have to be really something brilliant for me to buy it... I'm a bit tired of the old defend your base until you've collected enough resources to attack thing... Where the enemy has almost infinite resources, but only attacks a little at a time for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

komodosp wrote: »
    To be honest, even though I loved Starcraft, this game will have to be really something brilliant for me to buy it... I'm a bit tired of the old defend your base until you've collected enough resources to attack thing... Where the enemy has almost infinite resources, but only attacks a little at a time for some reason...

Play multiplayer then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yeah I suppose... was never much good at the multiplayer... And most games were just a race to who could build their army the quickest then just over-run the other guy... Plus I enjoyed the plot of the single player

komodosp wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose... was never much good at the multiplayer... And most games were just a race to who could build their army the quickest then just over-run the other guy... Plus I enjoyed the plot of the single player

This isn't really how multiplayer Starcraft works at all! Starcraft 2 looks like it's going to have an awesome rating system so no matter how good you are you should be able to find people around your rating to play against (especially with how many people are going to be buying the game)! Enjoying the plot and all is grand, but understand that for RTSs, creating a challenging AI is extremely difficult, so usually they just skimp and do the silly stuff which you said.

Seriously though, SC2 looks like it's going to be easy to get into, have a huge playerbase, and be a lot of fun, so why not have a go at the multiplayer? If they get even 10% of the fun of SC's multiplayer into it it'll still be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    http://www.complexitygaming.com/index.php?c=news&id=1119

Delayed to 2010 as ongarite says.
    Also:
    "The upgraded Battle.net is an integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward. This extra development time will be critical to help us realize our vision for the service."

Pretty much confirms that Battle.net will be the new best friend / enemy. LAN games will also run through it... :(
    Thats not how Kotaku put it. I like their version (you know, Truth) much better:

http://kotaku.com/5330962/starcraft-delay-weak-economy-has-activison-expecting-a-lot-less-money
    Activision Blizzard reported another quarter of growth today but announced it expects to make $250 million less in 2009 than originally forecast.

The company reported $1.04 billion in revenue for the company's second quarter of 2009, ended June 20, 2009. Executives credited sales of franchises World of Warcraft, Guitar Hero and Call of Duty as well as new games Prototype, Transformers and Wolverine.

Testifying to the continued strength of World of Warcraft, company executives said that more than a third of Activision Blizzard's revenue from the past three months came from MMOs.

But the mega-publisher lowered its revenue expectations for the year, from $4.3 billion for 2009 to $4.05 billion. The 2010 delay of StarCraft II and the first-person shooter Singularity were blamed, along with lower retailer orders for upcoming games, a byproduct of a weak economy.

Activision chairman Bobby Kotick said he expects game sales to be "flat to down slightly in America and Europe" for the year. "We are very concerned," he said about the forthcoming holiday market. "There's a lot of reason to be concerned and cautious." Activision's line-up is strong, he said, but the market overall is facing a tough period with shoppers not as eager to buy new games.

Activision's big hopes for the end of the year are Guitar Hero 5, Modern Warfare 2, DJ Hero, Blur, Band Hero, Tony Hawk Ride and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.
    Simply put - another Publicly traded company, that in the interest of its shareholders, has decreed to withhold SCII until after the christmas season, which is expected to be another disappointment.

Kotaku is absolute garbage that does not deserve to be even mentally linked to the concept of "journalism". Whether that particular article is factual or not, I have no idea, but linking "kotaku" with "truth"...lmao. :pac:

edit: Also as far as I can see that article doesn't even say that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chuzzbot

theyve been putting the release date back since it was annouced so not holding my breath, hopefully it will run of low specs (true to blizzards form) cause even though i love both games i aint buying a new pc to run them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I applaude you for using the search button and not just creating a new thread :)

Also...i will be definitely getting the game

Advertisement