Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Pies?

Options
  • 05-08-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Where is the best place to get savory Pies in Galway city? I only know of the Townhouse and I must say, being a bit of a world connoisseur of fine pies, their Chicken and leak is very impressive. But variety is the spice of life but it seems Galway is particularly lacking in this spice.....

:pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Gourmet Tart Co. have multiple locations you silly person - they do the best pies. Well apart from my wife that is - she makes the best pies. But she won't let you have any, oh no.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Ah, I thought they just did cakey pies and tarty sweetness... How much for your wifes pies. Give me a price my good man. Everybody has their price...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Pies are for peasants Fiddlesnap... everyone knows that. By the way... I can see the back of your head!!!!!

I dont care who they are for. My love of them is as pure and unconditional as Maternal love.

I can see the top of your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Maternal love? You mean you fancy pies?

• Advertisement

Lets just say they satisfy me in many ways.

Anyway, back on topic. I will try the GTC today and review. Anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I think the real question here is... Who ate all the pies???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Funny, my friend and I were think aloud last saturday that Galway needs a pie shop :P and that we were going to open one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Mactard wrote: »
    Funny, my friend and I were think aloud last saturday that Galway needs a pie shop :P and that we were going to open one :D

Myself and Mr Fiddlesnap were thinking the exact same! There seems to be very few places where one can purchase a quality savoury pie at a reasonable price. Galway NEEDS a pie shop!

• Advertisement

Well I have been to the Gourmet Tart Co. and as I suspected they do not do savory pies. We did however find that Goyas on the corner on Kirwin's Lane had pies. They looked similar to the Townhouse pies and came with salad. It was very good. I ate mine so fast that piece of crust went into my companion's coffee and I whipped myself in the eye with a strip of red onion.
    Unfortunately the price let us down a bit. 24 bucks for 2 pies and a couple of coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Fiddlesnap wrote: »
    Well I have been to the Gourmet Tart Co. and as I suspected they do not do savory pies. We did however find that Goyas on the corner on Kirwin's Lane had pies. They looked similar to the Townhouse pies and came with salad. It was very good. I ate mine so fast that piece of crust went into my companion's coffee and I whipped myself in the eye with a strip of red onion.
    Unfortunately the price let us down a bit. 24 bucks for 2 pies and a couple of coffees.

May i just add (i was there too) that despite the fact that the pies were lovely (a 7 out of 10'er) I almost regurgitated up mine when i saw that the very same pies were on sale for take away at a reasonable price of 4.50...4.50!

Now i know that in our frenzied search for lunch time pie we neglected to check the price, and now its too late to complain but seriously thats one hell of a mark up!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

thats crazy expensive.

I've just been to New Zealand and they eat serious amounts of pies and they are about as good as it gets. Lamb and rosemary, Peppered steak, Bacon and egg. Chicken satay. Fish Pie. They put anything into them and I fell in love. I understand your love of pies.
    The most you would pay for a good pie was less than €2. I have all the plans in my head to open up one when I get home so you better get crackin ahead of me!!

Why were they never big in Ireland? They have ****ty ones in centra and places like that but nothing worth getting excited about. They are huge in the UK, New Zealand and Australia. Were we rebelling against the British Pie?!

Very true Darren. The Kiwi pies were an awesome experience. I had one that would make an elephant open its top button in Queenstown and I would regularly go for pie in Sydney and on the way home from some of those all night watering holes. Even the 7-11 micro jobs were decent. Ireland and in particular Galway, is perfect for Pie culture. The festivals, Crusty pies for the crusties, Posh Pies for the Posh... the city is our Pie, lets take a bite! WHos with ME?! COME ON!!

Sorry, I can get carried away when it comes to pies... :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

bloo wrote: »
    May i just add (i was there too) that despite the fact that the pies were lovely (a 7 out of 10'er) I almost regurgitated up mine when i saw that the very same pies were on sale for take away at a reasonable price of 4.50...4.50!

Now i know that in our frenzied search for lunch time pie we neglected to check the price, and now its too late to complain but seriously thats one hell of a mark up!

Thank you both, i'll be heading that way now...i'll go for the take away option though :D

I feel so used!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

back during the ocean race there was a pie van down the docks. excellent but expensive stuff. can anyone remember the name?

i think i might make my famous steak and Guinness pie tomorrow

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    back during the ocean race there was a pie van down the docks. excellent but expensive stuff. can anyone remember the name?

Was it PieFace?

indeed

JIZZLORD wrote: »

i think i might make my famous steak and Guinness pie tomorrow

God I thought they were a joke! I threw mine at a child and ran down Dock St crying! You need to taste a good pie son!

• Advertisement

calm down man!
    i liked them, so what.

but i make a better pie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Very true Darren. The Kiwi pies were an awesome experience. I had one that would make an elephant open its top button in Queenstown and I would regularly go for pie in Sydney and on the way home from some of those all night watering holes. Even the 7-11 micro jobs were decent. Ireland and in particular Galway, is perfect for Pie culture. The festivals, Crusty pies for the crusties, Posh Pies for the Posh... the city is our Pie, lets take a bite! WHos with ME?! COME ON!!

Sorry, I can get carried away when it comes to pies... :o

What type of mushrooms were in your lunchtime pie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

PieFace...meh...you haven't tasted pies till you've had one from Pieminister...most recently to be found at Electric Picnic ..yum..

http://www.pieminister.co.uk/

Sconsey wrote: »
    What type of mushrooms were in your lunchtime pie? ;)

Normal I think. The waitress that cleared the table floated on a cloud and had hair of bubbles though which was odd.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

McCambridges were doing lovely looking pies at their hot counter last time I was in... Havent tried them yet but now I'm in the mood for one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Screw a pie.

Steak and Kidney Pudding is where it's at!

I have heard the puddings are very good. A very close relation to the Pie anyway. McCambridges pies were ok as a takeaway snack but only ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anatomy Boy

I have heard the puddings are very good. A very close relation to the Pie anyway. McCambridges pies were ok as a takeaway snack but only ok....

Haha, funny because the pies in McCambridges are from Goyas, which you seemed to like:D

• Advertisement

Very strange because the filling was more substantial and the pastry more crumbly in Goyas.... :confused:

Advertisement