Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulk Up Baby!

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

OK, so I have lost the weight I wanted and I'm looking in good shape. It's now time to bulk up and get pretty big muscle-wise.

This will be a log of my diet and exercise routine. My job doesn't allow me to eat regularly, but when I am going without food for a while I will have a whey protein shake to compensate for not eating.

Here is today's diet and weight program. Please note, for the next three weeks I am unable to attend a gym, which means I can only use dumbells and a curl bar at home, along with sit ups and push ups.

Day One Diet
    9.30am 3 Wheetabix with milk
    Noon Whey Protein shake 1 scoop + table spoon olive oil
    2.30pm Chicken Wrap with Mayo and Cheese
    5pm 170g chicken, 30 g pasta (dry weight) + some brocoli
    7pm (pre-workout) 1.5 scoops protein
    9pm (post-workout) 2 scoops protein + 25g glucose.

Day One Workout
    Bicep Curls - 5 min 15kg, 5 mid 20kg, 9 max 30kg
    Dumbells - 5min 10kg, 10 mid 15kg, 10 max 20kg
    40 push ups
    40 sit ups

I realise my weights programme is really sucky at the minute. I have a fully planned out course that I will be starting from the weekend of August 20th onwards. For now, the above will have to do.

Any input is more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Not much food there at all. 30g of pasta? If I'm cutting carbs I'll maybe drop it to approx 50g of pasta for dinner. A single serving of pasta is usually 70-75g of pasta!
    Also just Wheetabix for brekkie? Thats all? Get some eggs in there, some more fruit and nuts and I'm not sure about 3 protein shakes a day...
    Basically you look to have very little food there at all and SFA carbs. I wouldn't consider the protein shakes a meal replacment, if you want to get bigger - eat more!
    Best of luck,
    H2DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Thanks mate.. I should state that that is 30g of dry pasta.. so it weighs more when cooked.

My main problem is I don't have much appetite hehe. I'm trying to improve that. I was planning on having 5 scrambled eggs one day, then Weetabix, then eggs, etc.

Looking at this again I definitely do need more carbs. Perhaps I should have a small meal/snack after I work out, and introduce some carbs there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

If I was trying to bulk up I'd have something like this:

Breakfast:
    Protein shake
    Muslie / cereal
    2/3 eggs or a chicken breast
    Banana
    Orange juice
    Lunch:
    Bap / roll w/ chicken, ham, tomatoe & lettuce
    Veg soup.
    Pint of milk.
    Snack:
    Scone w/ butter & jam
    *gym*
    PWO:
    Protein shake w/ 2 scoops of oats
    Dinner:
    Spag Boll w/ as much pasta as I can fit in (> 90g dry!!!)
    Snack 2:
    Cereal.

Just to give you an idea, it's probably not a perfect diet but Im not that heavy either. approx 80Kg / 13 stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mybe do some other exercise instead of bicep curls? biceps make up just 3% of your bodys total muscle mass.

Take a look at exrx.net sor some exercises that can be done with any dumbless/barbell/bodyweight etc and it gives you a kind of video tutorial to show you how to do it.

Maybe with pushups you could do 3 sets of pushps of as many reps as you can physically handel - much better than just doing 40 pushups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

if theres anywhere you can do pullups/dips (public parks or something) that would be better than curls, sit ups etc. you could also try some DB snatches or cleans or some variant, that should keep busy till you get to the gym. rubadub uses some weird and wonderful things to work out at home see some of his posts or pm him.

btw thats no bulking diet, id have 100g of dry pasta a day for lunch easy, your only eating 3 meals really. if your only a beginner id leave out the protein, afaik one scoop is 25g thats only about 450 cals your getting total from all your shakes. you need lots of carbs for gaining not just protein. also a pwo is supposed to be 2 parts carbs to 1 part protein so yours is the other way round. id say eat as much a pos whenevr you can and have some snacks in between like fruit and nut mixes or yoghurts or just milk, milks great for bulking. plus im not sure what eating lots will do if your not training hard, probably leave the food till you start training properly. good luck anyway, bulkings great, theres notihng like eating double cheeseburgers because theyre 'good for you'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Thanks lads. I'll take all that into account and do up a new diet in a couple of days. Maybe it would be best if I leave it until I can actually hit the gym. I will try to work out between now and then anyways. Thanks again. :)

Advertisement