Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stick with XP or go Windows 7?

• 05-08-2009 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Going to be ordering a new PC soon, for everyday use including gaming.

I use XP and I find it perfect, not lacking in anything, except that the search function is a little slow..

I am just wondering if I should switch for Windows 7 for my new PC.. any good reasons to switch? I mean even in tests I've read XP seemingly out performs it for gaming..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jonny72 wrote: »
    Going to be ordering a new PC soon, for everyday use including gaming.

I use XP and I find it perfect, not lacking in anything, except that the search function is a little slow..

I am just wondering if I should switch for Windows 7 for my new PC.. any good reasons to switch? I mean even in tests I've read XP seemingly out performs it for gaming..
    If your mainly using it for gaming, stick with Windows XP and maybe run a dual boot because Win 7.

It's nice to have the option. The only possible worry is driver issues going from Vista to XP, or is this a custom build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your not building it your self you can get one of the PCs that come with Vista and a free upgrade to Win7 then you'll have all 3 OS's.

I only installed Win7 yesterday so all I can tell you is that the install (on my system) was allot more straightforward since Win7 recognises allot of the newer technology straight out of the box you don't have to worry about finding floppy drives or slipstreaming to get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your not building it your self you can get one of the PCs that come with Vista and a free upgrade to Win7 then you'll have all 3 OS's.

I only installed Win7 yesterday so all I can tell you is that the install (on my system) was allot more straightforward since Win7 recognises allot of the newer technology straight out of the box you don't have to worry about finding floppy drives or slipstreaming to get it working.

Well I will be ordering the pc soon to build, and i have just bought a copy of XP to put on it, would it then be possible to download win 7 and then setup dual boot (never tried dual boot before is it tricky or easy enough?)

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

jonny72 wrote: »
    Well I will be ordering the pc soon to build, and i have just bought a copy of XP to put on it, would it then be possible to download win 7 and then setup dual boot (never tried dual boot before is it tricky or easy enough?)

cheers
    I had it that way the first time I loaded Win7 months ago, the only problem I had was my wireless card wouldn't work making Win7 useless for me. No problems dual booting though.

I've reinstalled Win7 now with working drivers for the wireless but I've completely abandoned WinXP, I had two bad sticks of ram in the PC since the beginning that just corrupted XP I spent a few days trying to fix it, that failed, tried to reinstall XP that failed, now using Win7 and it's flawless.

Best thing is Win7 is essentially free until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can easily dual boot, just make sure you leave unpartitioned space on your disk for 7 to use, or have a second hard disk available. Install XP first, then boot off the 7 DVD and install it. Windows 7 will see the exsiting Windows XP install and add it to its boot menu, allowing you to pick whichever one you want when you boot up the computer. It will probably set itself as the default option, but you can change that if you want.

Personally I would just ditch XP and go with 7. I run the 64-bit RC version on my gaming machine and have had zero problems. All of my hardware was supported out of the box also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Stick with XP and consider dual boot to Ubuntu. Why waste money on something that does nothing extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he was talking about installing the free RC.

Advertisement