Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tents and Fire

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey, just a quick question. I've tried to look up the distance a fire should be from a tent when making fire and a campsite. I suppose there would be a few variables, but just as a general rule, what distance should it be so there's no danger of tents catching on fire?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I like my tent and my other kit. I wouldn't put a fire within 10 meters of it for sure.

Wind and ground condition are important - Make sure you don't light a fire near a peat floor....and keep the fire as low as you can....Don't build a great big sparking bonfire, just because you can! ;)

If you want to learn some basic campcraft, drop into the Outdoor Adventure Store and pick up a copy of the Scouting Trail. It's a great book for beginners and a refresher for those who've not camped for many years. Well worth the €15 or so it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

May also depend on what you are burning, some wood or other materials will spark or throw out a lot of ash in the updraft.

The further the better (within reason obviously). If you want to keep it close, note the wind direction and make sure if blowing from the tent towards the fire to minimise risk.

That said smaller fires can be kept quite close as long as you put them out before retiring and trangas (sp?) can even be used in the porch if you're really lazy.

I tend for a minimun 5-7 metres when building a big fire (enough to cook on / sit around)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Huxoin

Thanks for the replies. I shall keep my tent standing! :P

Advertisement