Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add a driver to insurance

Options
  • 05-08-2009 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Could someone please explain to me why adding my mother to my car insurance would lower my premium?

Is there any liability to her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are all sorts of reason why it would lower your premium. By and large it's backed up by whatever statistics - men with female named drivers on their policy are by and large less of a risk than men on their own policy. This is especially the case when they're family.

The only liability to her is if she crashes while driving your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It also works the other way around, when I moved in with my wife, I got onto her insurance and her premium dropped by over 10%.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

Thank you both for your replies.

Dear old mum is about to save me 40 squids

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It also works the other way around, when I moved in with my wife, I got onto her insurance and her premium dropped by over 10%.
    Same for me, the reasoning I worked out for that is that if we both have cars and are named on eachother's policies, then we will both overall be doing less driving (because we're getting a lift from the other) than if we were on our own.
    Statistics probably also show that married people do less driving than unmarried people (since their family is at home), and that they drive more safely because they have something to lose.

Maybe they extend that to parents...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The missus brought down my policy by about a hundred euro by becoming a named driver ,in saying that I dont let her drive it, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

jackncoke wrote: »
    The missus brought down my policy by about a hundred euro by becoming a named driver ,in saying that I dont let her drive it, :D

+1

:D

Advertisement