Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon: Equal airtime abolished by BCI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

jhegarty wrote: »
    Who are you, me or the government to decide who is a crank.

There is nothing ever wrong with a debate between two sides. If one side really is a crowd of cranks then the other side should have nothing to fear.

Maybe we should allot air time by votes then... oh no, can't do that, then SF would be the only advocates for a 'No' on Lisbon, and get only a single digit percentage of the time?

Who is anyone to stand up and represent a 'side', and appoint themselves unelected spokesperson. I'm thinking of the likes of Justin Barrett and Declan Ganley.

You would think that people could figure it out, but I'd point you in the direction of the Global Warming/Evolution 'debate' as evidence that often they can't...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Who are you, me or the government to decide who is a crank.

There is nothing ever wrong with a debate between two sides. If one side really is a crowd of cranks then the other side should have nothing to fear.

That is a very long way from true, as is easily proven by the public debates on acid rain, the ozone layer, tobacco, asbestos, climate change, creationism, vaccination, drugs policy, prohibition, the Iraq war - in fact, virtually any public debate. If people made rational decisions based on all the evidence, we wouldn't have the current government.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Libertyed

What? Must be a F.F. supporter aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

A crowd of cranks tried to convince the country that Lisbon would:
    • have us all conscripted in an EU army
    • allow the EU to meddle with our tax affairs
    • allow the introduction of European legislation in Ireland, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia
    Only about 120,000 voters believed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

djpbarry wrote: »
    A crowd of cranks tried to convince the country that Lisbon would:
    • have us all conscripted in an EU army
    • allow the EU to meddle with our tax affairs
    • allow the introduction of European legislation in Ireland, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia
    Only about 120,000 voters believed them.

scary ain't it? and they wonder how someone like Hitler got voted in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Maybe we should allot air time by votes then... oh no, can't do that, then SF would be the only advocates for a 'No' on Lisbon, and get only a single digit percentage of the time?

Who is anyone to stand up and represent a 'side', and appoint themselves unelected spokesperson. I'm thinking of the likes of Justin Barrett and Declan Ganley.

You would think that people could figure it out, but I'd point you in the direction of the Global Warming/Evolution 'debate' as evidence that often they can't...

I presume its even air time on the topic......i.e. same time for someone supporting yes and someone supporting no

it shouldn't matter "who" is actually doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

have us all conscripted in an EU army

Who tried to convince us that a yes to Lisbon would lead to conscription into an EU army?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    scary ain't it? and they wonder how someone like Hitler got voted in

Hitler was elected in '33 because of the Reichstag Fire Decree (a result of them burning the Reichstag and blaming the communists) , which allowed hitler to have the leaders of other parties arrested.

A lack of a free debate and campaigning before the election was the reason he was elected.

O'Morris wrote: »
    Who tried to convince us that a yes to Lisbon would lead to conscription into an EU army?

http://mis.ucd.ie/Members/cbrugha/pubs/Why%20Ireland%20Rejected%20Lisbon%20JPA.pdf
    Where there was a canvass it was generally against Lisbon, raising fears about threats to Irish
    neutrality, and of conscription, as well as about abortion, taxation, and the loss of an Irish Commissioner
    . While 51% of men voted in favour because of the perceived economic benefits, 56% of women voted against because of the perceived risks associated with a more powerful Europe
    A ‘No’ canvass needed to
    raise a fear on one issue
    . To succeed a ‘Yes’
    canvass needed to re-assure a voter on about
    five issues, such as neutrality, conscription,
    abortion, taxation and the Irish Commissioner,
    and then discuss the positive reasons for
    supporting Lisbon: energy security, crossborder
    policing, etc.

A cynical allegation about the threat of
    conscription to fight in Iraq, which people
    circulated by phone in the last days of the
    campaign, caused a surge towards the No side.
    While circulating
    a threat of conscription was a crude ply,
    it resonated with a real fear and swung Yes
    votes to No amongst women.
    Lies were told about conscription, abortion,
    neutrality.

O'Morris wrote: »

I don't think anyone explicitly claimed it in public media, with the probable exception of the NWO crowd, although it was certainly said on the doorsteps. What they claimed - across the board, from Sinn Fein to the Daily Telegraph - was that Lisbon would create an EU army, just as they claimed for Nice, and for Maastricht. They claimed - and the claims are all around these forums and others - that Lisbon would create a militarised and imperialistic superstate. People filled in the blanks, and no attempt was made in any way to dispel the false conclusion by those peddling the original falsehood. One need not use the word 'paedophile' to accuse someone of being one.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Lorraine Mullally of Open Europe, writing in the London Times, May 25th 2008 (~2 weeks before the referendum), under the headline:
    Lorraine Mullally: If Ireland votes yes, it will be conscripted into an EU army

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4028016.ece

A letter to the Irish Independent on 28 January 2008:
    In reality, what this means is that, at some point in the future, should the EU declare war on anybody, they might decide to conscript your children into a European army -- and you can't say 'no' because you supported it.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/will-our-children-die-for-europe-1275872.html

Another letter to the Independent on 26th January 2008
    Let there be no doubt, in 10 to 20 years time there will be calls for conscription in some future European army and our children will be asked to help. Do we want that?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/thirst-for-scandal-cabinet-standards-treaty-vote-1274689.html

Report of No Campaigners using Conscription from Kim Bielenberg in the Independent, May 31 2008
    On my travels I heard other No campaigners warn that our young folk would be conscripted into a European Army if we voted Yes.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/are-you-lisbon-literate-1393010.html

It may not have been the #1 issue, but let's not pretend it wasn't an issue at all.

Hitler was elected in '33 because of the Reichstag Fire Decree (a result of them burning the Reichstag and blaming the communists) , which allowed hitler to have the leaders of other parties arrested.

A lack of a free debate and campaigning before the election was the reason he was elected.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=Q8L42KtTrw0C&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76
    "... the parties program remained vague, and it was above all Hitler's personal party. It was in all probability the figure of the Fuhrer himself, promising strong and charismatic leadership, that caused people to freely give their vote to the Nazis ..."

why does reading the above make me think of Declan G and Libertas?

oh yes how can one forget Caroline Simons famous quote :p

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0602/1224247881520.html
    It concerned a fire at the party’s office on Dublin’s Baggot Street. “The cause is unknown,” said the breathless release, which quoted the party’s Dublin candidate Caroline Simons as “shocked that something like this would happen. The basement of our office building is on fire. I hope that this is not the action of some political crank. I know the political establishment are against us, but this is highly unusual. If this fire is found to be the action of an opposing political party – we will seek prosecutions. Fires are dangerous things.”

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Libertyed

Lies, lies, about the No Vote, go ahead and Vote yes, and then get ready for the new fascist goverment that's at the power of Brussels. We were blinded and duped into going into the EEC in the first hand. The ordianry people of Ireland got nothing out of the millions of pounds that came into Ireland. But the powers who held goverment at the time, thats were the money went to. What did the goverment do with all the money, please show me ?

Our fisherman have lost the fishing livinghood around this island, ask them if they got any money from the EEC...

There are several thousands employed in the department of fishery, when the commercial fishing industry is almost gone from these shores. Why do we have a minister of fishery in the first place? costing the country money. Wake up?

Lets get real, the present goverment here, are no more than message boys and girls for
    the wasteful dossiers of Brussels. They give no account on there expences, so why do you want the irish people vote yes? For what?

It's a fact, the people don't trust who's in power today, and why these dossiers, want the people to vote yes, amazes the heck out of me.

Where are the articles of the Lisbon treaty, why have they not been published in all newspapers. Why are the people of Ireland not been showing what the benifits, and cons of this treaty. Again our goverment wants to hide the real issues that are at hand, of not publishing the pro's and con's, like they did in the last several years of the downturn in the economy of the country...

The people vote No, cause they have no trust, and they did not believe the goverment,
    thats why?

The party is over Boys,

Wake up !

Libertyed wrote: »
    It's a fact, the people don't trust who's in power today…
    So we should leave the EU and place the country’s future solely in the hands of the Irish government? Who the people apparently don’t trust? Hmm, makes sense.
    Where are the articles of the Lisbon treaty, why have they not been published in all newspapers. Why are the people of Ireland not been showing what the benifits, and cons of this treaty. Again our goverment wants to hide the real issues that are at hand…
    I presume by ‘hide’ you mean ‘publish a white paper’?

Lies, lies, about the No Vote, go ahead and Vote yes, and then get ready for the new fascist goverment that's at the power of Brussels. We were blinded and duped into going into the EEC in the first hand. The ordianry people of Ireland got nothing out of the millions of pounds that came into Ireland. But the powers who held goverment at the time, thats were the money went to. What did the goverment do with all the money, please show me ?

Our fisherman have lost the fishing livinghood around this island, ask them if they got any money from the EEC...

There are several thousands employed in the department of fishery, when the commercial fishing industry is almost gone from these shores. Why do we have a minister of fishery in the first place? costing the country money. Wake up?

Lets get real, the present goverment here, are no more than message boys and girls for
    the wasteful dossiers of Brussels. They give no account on there expences, so why do you want the irish people vote yes? For what?

It's a fact, the people don't trust who's in power today, and why these dossiers, want the people to vote yes, amazes the heck out of me.

Where are the articles of the Lisbon treaty, why have they not been published in all newspapers. Why are the people of Ireland not been showing what the benifits, and cons of this treaty. Again our goverment wants to hide the real issues that are at hand, of not publishing the pro's and con's, like they did in the last several years of the downturn in the economy of the country...

The people vote No, cause they have no trust, and they did not believe the goverment,
    thats why?

The party is over Boys,

Wake up !

thank god we dont have to give equal airtime here on boards :D

the above poster just confirmed and highlighted the arguments made in this thread

all while managing to blurb out a bunch of "lies" that have nothing to do with Lisbon

now im gonna go have a shower, i feel dirty after reading the above post :rolleyes:

thank god we dont have to give equal airtime here on boards :D

the above poster just confirmed and highlighted the arguments made in this thread

all while managing to blurb out a bunch of "lies" that have nothing to do with Lisbon

now im gonna go have a shower, i feel dirty after reading the above post :rolleyes:

Taking it slightly more seriously - would most people say that the view above deserves to be treated exactly the same as any other view on Lisbon?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The majority of people are probably going into this voting "yes" based on how "good" Europe has been for us before.

Let me also remind you, that a large segment of society also voted this government back in, based on how "good" things were going for us before.

I don't think people truly know the implications of what they're getting into (a "fascist state" though???! - not with this treaty anyway!).

I'm pro-Europe, and indeed there are good elements of the Lisbon Treaty nobody could argue with, but there are elements of it I really dislike, the centralisation of power being one of them.

Whatever happens though, the world isn't going to end, our economy will still be crap, and Europe won't abandon us... so, getting back to the topic-in-hand... considering all the newspapers etc. seem to advocate a "yes", it's only fair that the broadcast national media that we ALL pay for, presents us both sides of the debate in equal measure.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    so, getting back to the topic-in-hand... considering all the newspapers etc. seem to advocate a "yes", it's only fair that the broadcast national media that we ALL pay for, presents us both sides of the debate in equal measure.
    Suppose RTE put together another "Questions & Answers" style programme prior to the second referendum. Suppose that the programme will feature contributions from an equal number of 'Yes' and 'No' campaigners. Who do you think should present the 'No' argument?

I'm pro-Europe, and indeed there are good elements of the Lisbon Treaty nobody could argue with, but there are elements of it I really dislike, the centralisation of power being one of them.

Can you delve a little bit deeper into the "centralization of power article", i want to know more and we can have a lively debate

The majority of people are probably going into this voting "yes" based on how "good" Europe has been for us before.

as opposed to a people who voted No out of fear of conscription (see my post earlier in thread for reference)

Whatever happens though, the world isn't going to end, our economy will still be crap, and Europe won't abandon us... so, getting back to the topic-in-hand... considering all the newspapers etc. seem to advocate a "yes", it's only fair that the broadcast national media that we ALL pay for, presents us both sides of the debate in equal measure.

Media are product/service if you dont like Fox news does it mean you are forced to watch it? Theres plenty of debate on Lisbon on the internet (media) which caters for a wide spectrum of opinions from tinfoil hatters to more refined debates like we have here on boards

btw I dont like paying TV license either, but i do, despite my personal objections to the Airtime being given to religious matters (Angelus etc)

Suppose RTE put together another "Questions & Answers" style programme prior to the second referendum. Suppose that the programme will feature contributions from an equal number of 'Yes' and 'No' campaigners. Who do you think should present the 'No' argument?

Joe Higgins, Arthur Morgan and possibly Vincent Browne would probably be the most likely choices. I'm not particularly impressed with any of the "no" side campaigners, they're doing a poor job getting the message across.

I don't approve of the "no" side scare tactics any more than I approve of the "yes" side's.

• Advertisement

Can you delve a little bit deeper into the "centralization of power article", i want to know more and we can have a lively debate

Worth a thread, I would say, rather than dragging this one off-topic.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Don't want to drag this off-topic, but I'll most likely end up mentioning it on another thread at some stage in which case I'll go into more detail. I'll be only too happy to debate it. :)
    Media are product/service if you dont like Fox news does it mean you are forced to watch it? Theres plenty of debate on Lisbon on the internet (media) which caters for a wide spectrum of opinions from tinfoil hatters to more refined debates like we have here on boards.

When media are a private product/service then fine, they are entitled to be as biased as they like. Even though a newspaper should (ideally) always try to be impartial, fair and unbiased in reporting the facts, and should encourage balanced debate... by virtue of the fact they are private, and we have a choice to pay or not, they are entitled to put their own slant on things.

RTE is a public service though. They are not entitled to start taking sides, especially over a referendum. They should be legally obliged to give a 50/50 split. This isn't some silly, minor issue... it is something that is going to help define the shape of Europe in the future. Both sides deserve the chance to demonstrate their points of view. The quality of the people representing each side, and the validity of their arguments is a seperate issue altogether.

RTE is a public service though. They are not entitled to start taking sides, especially over a referendum. They should be legally obliged to give a 50/50 split. This isn't some silly, minor issue... it is something that is going to help define the shape of Europe in the future. Both sides deserve the chance to demonstrate their points of view. The quality of the people representing each side, and the validity of their arguments is a seperate issue altogether.

But why are RTE a drain on the public? If i had it my way I would detach RTE from the public tit and let them float (or sink) on their own
    as I already mentioned TV license is a bad joke and they make money from ads as well, not to mention paying crazy salaries to bad presenters, tho thats a whole other thread ;)

You speak as if RTE will prevent the NO side from participating altogether, now that would be wrong! and not fair

The artificial restriction last year gave airtime more than they deserve to extreme parties with extreme views (see parallel threads today about SF and Garda murderers) whats even more scary is that people fell for some of these "nuts"

actually knowing RTE they would still try to balance things, for example Question and Answers, as some of these "weights" such as M Lou are rather entertaining to watch for some

Joe Higgins, Arthur Morgan and possibly Vincent Browne would probably be the most likely choices. I'm not particularly impressed with any of the "no" side campaigners...
    That's really saying something, don't you think? You think that there is a legitimate argument to be made against this treaty, but you can't think of anyone who could properly articulate your argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

thats why?

Actually ignoring the rest, that is the biggest problem the Yes side faces!

True and on the other side you have people voting No because of how bad it has been and how much worse it will be in the future. Very little specifics usually on both sides.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Yes but will the economy be crap or crappier, that is the question, and you know my answer.
    Europe won't abandon us but will we abandon Europe:)
    Sorry for that last sound bite but this is a media thread

Personally I wouldn't mind if the state media were still obliged to give equal time to both sides for the reasons you mentioned.

That's really saying something, don't you think? You think that there is a legitimate argument to be made against this treaty, but you can't think of anyone who could properly articulate your argument?

It's a pity isn't it. :(

Those are the "best", suitably-known public figures I can think of. Other people like Patricia McKenna, Gerry Adams... well, who's going to listen to them? Declan Ganley was the closest thing the "no" side had to someone who could actually speak. Well, Joe Higgins is quite a good speaker on occasion, but the other two... nope.

I do feel there is a very legitimate argument for the "no" side, and I even feel there is a legitimate argument for the "yes" side - I do see positives in the Lisbon Treaty. However, those are not arguments we're getting mostly presented.

I watched Nightly News a few weeks back, and they had some guy on, can't remember his name - and he was trying to explain why we should vote yes - all I heard was crap. "Enhances democracy", "heart of Europe" blah blah blah... no actual reasons. However, the "yes" side are able to articulate rubbish like that far better, and make it sound valid, so I'll give them credit.

The "yes" campaign is also lucky to have the newspapers nearly universally in favour of it. That means you have the benefit of well thought out editorial pieces. Off the point slightly, but thought I'd mention it.

The "no" campaign needs somebody knowledgeable and well-spoken to spearhead the effort and participate in debates, somebody who can pick the flaws in the "yes" side's arguments. Because I don't think many of "yes" side public figures actually understand how the treaty works or what it's about beyond the soundbites. Who this mythical person may be... I really don't know sadly.

Until we get someone like that, we are almost destined to lose this campaign. "No" figures and "yes" figures will continue to have soundbite arguments... and I think the "yes" side will come out on top on that basis.

But it doesn't change my original point... both sides should be given 50/50. Few of the people debating this issue on TV have any real quality on either of the sides to be quite frank. But if the public are gonna make their opinion based on soundbites, they should at least get an equal share of soundbites from each side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Taking it slightly more seriously - would most people say that the view above deserves to be treated exactly the same as any other view on Lisbon?

Perhaps not. Primarily because Libertyed's kind of view has been thrown out 100 times here. It has been shown to be false and misleading time upon time. And yet we still get people who will casually call into the EU forum and drop a "EU = army" or "they stole our fish" and scuttle away. Even though one can address their views it gets all too tedious.

So it probably is best if Libertyed is simply ignored. However, we do this in the fear that someone will be drawn in by his points, see no attempt to refute them, and thus take them as true.

turgon wrote: »
    Perhaps not. Primarily because Libertyed's kind of view has been thrown out 100 times here. It has been shown to be false and misleading time upon time. And yet we still get people who will casually call into the EU forum and drop a "EU = army" or "they stole our fish" and scuttle away. Even though one can address their views it gets all too tedious.

As long as they can quote the exact articles of the Lisbon Treaty or point to a reliable source, or use some sort of good, common sense logic, then debate can be engaged into. It doesn't matter how disagreeable the statement is to you, if there's evidence to support it, then you have debate.

I will agree though that people thrashing out random statements, on both sides of the debate, must get tedious.
    So it probably is best if Libertyed is simply ignored. However, we do this in the fear that someone will be drawn in by his points, see no attempt to refute them, and thus take them as true.

I don't think Libertyed should be ignored, IF, as said before, he can support all his points with the relevant evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The "yes" campaign is also lucky to have the newspapers nearly universally in favour of it. That means you have the benefit of well thought out editorial pieces.
    There can only be well thought out editorials (and op-eds) if there's a reasonable basis for them. On the flip side you have op-eds from Richard Greene, Patricia McKenna et al which are full of blatant falsehoods.

If there was a reasonable case to be made for a "no" vote, there would be reasonable spokepersons for it, as well as well-thought out op-ed articles. There are neither.

Advertisement