Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renaming URLs

• 05-08-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I renamed some URLs to be more SEO friendly.

I didn't want to take down the old ones in case anyone found them through google and got a 404. On the other hand, I didn't want google re-indexing them so I excluded them in robots.txt.

Of course now both the old and new names are indexed in google.

Am I right in thinking the correct way to do this would be to leave robots.txt alone, just delete the pages, and set up 301 redirects to the new names? And then in a month or so when google's recrawled the site I can remove the redirects?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

There are a few way to do this but the most important thing is not to have two pages with the same content as you will be penalized for duplicate content.

Dont take down the old ones - Put a 301 redirect to go to the new pages.

Alternatively you could just have your new URL`s go directly to your old pages via your htaccess page.

Finally im not sure how much Google actually uses these SEO friendly URLs anymore in its indexing of pages. I think they are slowly moving away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Finally im not sure how much Google actually uses these SEO friendly URLs anymore in its indexing of pages. I think they are slowly moving away from it.

do you mind me asking where you got that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

do you mind me asking where you got that from?

I purchased the The Search Engine Marketing Kit from Sitepoint - Im nearly sure it was mentioned in here.
    http://www.sitepoint.com/kits/sem2/

Here is an interesting debate on the sitepoint forums - Most people are claiming that Google dont use the SEO friendly URL`s for indexing pages anymore but that it can help with page rank.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=624003

Advertisement