Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non farmers /builders owning jeeps

• 05-08-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    whats yer opininon on non farmer/ builders owning big jeeps like buissness men that never leave the moterway of mothers useing the jeep to go from house to school with the kids .theses jeeps are being used for a total opsite that they were designed .i know a family that bought a bmw jeep and basicaly is a heap of sh1t looks well and all but try bring it in feild or pull anything and it just sit there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Jeeps were the Celtic tigers taxi's for the builders, it is ridiculous that a jeep (08 Landcruiser Passenger), as I witnessed, is used to pickup 1 kid from National School, god help the person driving it, they could not handle it, it is solely used for shopping and doing the school run! does not make economical sense to me,

jeeps are for hauling on the road, driving in fields, throwing a bale of hay in the back and smelling of cow sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

agree don't know how they drive them as day to day runners, especially with permanent 4x4. couple of years ago had to get a jeep as always borrowing fathers for towing the trailer was getting annoying, decided that it would be my main machine. borrowed the fathers disco for a week as a test and decided would never buy one as daily car as just to big a turning circle for comfort.... so got a cherokeenow at the the other end want a car run about as cann't keep the jeep clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

ye sumed up what i was getting at 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Their own money, their own business what they do with it. If they decide to snort it up their noses or drive around in a military tank, it's nobody's business but their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm not a farmer or a builder and I own a Jeep (97 LWB Pajero 2.8TD if anyones interested).

I regularly take her off-road (for fun) and she gets a lot of use as a bus (7 seats are v.handy to have for extended family) and is quite often used for helping friends when they need (towing trailers, moving house etc.)

Who’d business is it what I do with it though? I paid for it, I can do what I want IMHO.

Would you question people who buy sporty jap cars who aren’t entering them in drifting competitions every weekend?

What about people buying S class Mercs or stuff like that? they're doing a lot more damage to the environment then the majority of jeep drivers.

personally, I actually have less of a carbon footprint than someone driving a Toyota Pruis thanks to using bio-diesel, never mind people in the likes of top end mercs and bmw's with 4 and 5 litre engines.

Would you rather there was a requirement for anyone who buys a particular type of car have to fill out an entitlement form to prove they will use it for a particular purpose, as pre-defined by some government body before they can drive it away?

People buy the type of car they like, end of story. What they choose to do with it is nobody’s business but theirs.

how would you like it if people started questioning farmers for using mobile phones and computers? or do you think that anyone is entitled to buy and use whatever the feck they want without being criticised for it because they don't fit into a particular social group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Good to see Irish begrudgery is alive and kicking!

vibe666 wrote: »
    how would you like it if people started questioning farmers for using mobile phones and computers? or do you think that anyone is entitled to buy and use whatever the feck they want without being criticised for it because they don't fit into a particular social group?

first off if anyone needs a mobile phone its a farmer .the only life saver a farmer has is his mobile one example there a few years back it showed on ear to the ground a farmer getting his hand caught in a diet feader and he used hi phone to get help and another example a friend of mine got caught in baler and he used his phone for help

so question that :D:D:D:D

bk1991 wrote: »
    so question that :D:D:D:D
    that's my whole point, i wouldn't question it. if someone buys something, regardless of if they think they need it or not, then surely it's up to them what they do with it?

one of the perks of ownership afaik. :rolleyes:

Ownership is surely a right everyone has and what they do with their possessions is totally up to them,

That's exactly what I said to the person who reversed up onto the bonnet of my fathers Toyota Corrolla with a Landrover Discovery a few years ago, and then they told me they didnt see the car parked there:rolleyes: that was nearly the most expensive trip to the Vets I ever encountered:D

that's my whole point, i wouldn't question it. if someone buys something, regardless of if they think they need it or not, then surely it's up to them what they do with it?

one of the perks of ownership afaik. :rolleyes:

my point in this tread was prople buying brand new jeeps with no intention of ever useing em off road puls massive bmw jeeps that wont even pull fair enought if u buy it with the intention of pulling trailers of going in rough soft terin the ok but constant on road if a jeeps hits a car it completely makes bits of it the sheer weight of it

bk1991

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

bk I don't mind people buying jeeps and never using them off road, let them take the big hit on depreciation and then farmers/builders etc like us can get a second hand bargain. London was a great place to buy one when the crunch came.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Last I checked Ireland was not a communist state and people could do, within limits, whatever the hell they please.

I have a personal preference for certain cars, and always buy them. Some people like 4x4's, so buy them. What's it to anyone what they do with them/where they use them.

blue5000 wrote: »
    bk I don't mind people buying jeeps and never using them off road, let them take the big hit on depreciation and then farmers/builders etc like us can get a second hand bargain. London was a great place to buy one when the crunch came.

never taught of that and fair point the jeeps would be just on road so would be in fair condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

whats yur man doin with the big house and he only havin one kid

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    whats yur man doin with the big house and he only havin one kid

???????????

my point in this tread was prople buying brand new jeeps with no intention of ever useing em off road puls massive bmw jeeps that wont even pull fair enought if u buy it with the intention of pulling trailers of going in rough soft terin the ok but constant on road if a jeeps hits a car it completely makes bits of it the sheer weight of it
    BMW X5's and Audi Q7's etc. are't designed for off-road use, they are just another sort of car like a people carrier with a slightly higher ride and longer bonnet.

anyone who's driven one, even on a mildly damp grass field will tell you they're not much better off-road than a family saloon, that's just not what they're intended for. and okay, they might not have the pulling power of a disco or landcruiser, but they'll happily pull a caravan or trailer well enough should the need arise, just like a saloon car with a decent sized engine so they're not entirely useless.

maybe the posh mums doing the school run in their X5's should all have volvo's instead, but the point is, it's a free country and everyone is entitled to drive what they want and since X5's, Q7's and the like aren't designed for heavy agri or off-road use, who else is going to drive them?

BMW X5's and Audi Q7's etc. are't designed for off-road use, they are just another sort of car like a people carrier with a slightly higher ride and longer bonnet.

anyone who's driven one, even on a mildly damp grass field will tell you they're not much better off-road than a family saloon, that's just not what they're intended for. and okay, they might not have the pulling power of a disco or landcruiser, but they'll happily pull a caravan or trailer well enough should the need arise, just like a saloon car with a decent sized engine so they're not entirely useless.

maybe the posh mums doing the school run in their X5's should all have volvo's instead, but the point is, it's a free country and everyone is entitled to drive what they want and since X5's, Q7's and the like aren't designed for heavy agri or off-road use, who else is going to drive them?

i know someone who has an x5 and it woulnt even pull an empty trailer let alone load it ..they look well an all but still a heap of ****

i know someone who has an X and it wouldn't even pull an empty trailer let alone load it ..they look well an all but still a heap of ****

Why do you say they are are a heap of ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I was hoping get a x5 01 or something under 10k for going to the mart moving cattle run arounds etc.
    and keeping my old jeep for off road farm work
    no matter how I try to keep a jeep clean around the farm I cant

djmc wrote: »
    I was hoping get a x5 01 or something under 10k for going to the mart moving cattle run arounds etc.
    and keeping my old jeep for off road farm work
    no matter how I try to keep a jeep clean around the farm I cant

they saidthat the x5 is a heap of ****e wont pull what the want the have a land crusier and it would pull rings around the x5

• Advertisement

they said that the x5 is a heap of ****e wont pull what the want the have a land crusier and it would pull rings around the x5
    couldn't pull the skin off a bowl of cold custard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

wouldn't pull ya outa bed in the morning! :D

couldn't pull the skin off a bowl of cold custard! :D

I have heard that some custard skins are tougher than others!!!:D BMWX5 mor like -3:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

i know someone who has an x5 and it woulnt even pull an empty trailer let alone load it ..they look well an all but still a heap of ****
    I'm pretty sure the X5 was developed for on-road use so anybody that buys one thinking it will do what a landcruiser can do is an idiot,
    I read in a review that a Q7 can tow 3200kg's on the road,it also comes standard with goodyear eagle f1's which ain't going to help off road.

BMW certainly didn't design X5's with farmers and cow-boxes in mind! A Toyota avensis ain't going to pull much of a load, does that make it a heap of **** too?

kfk wrote: »
    BMW certainly didn't design X5's with farmers and cow-boxes in mind! A Toyota avensis ain't going to pull much of a load, does that make it a heap of **** too?

we had a vw passat and she pulled two ton no bother :D:D:D so avensis might

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

A land cruiser's a better tow wagon than an X5, wow, shock horror, who'd have known.

the X5 is rated to pull 2700 kilos braked and I'd imagine it should have no problems doing it on tarmac. but land cruisers are magical things that will take insane abuse and overloading.

The funny thing for me when everyone compares the more road oriented 4x4s to the more work oriented ones is they never compare like with like.

The single most important factor for off road ability is tyres. next up is normally ground clearance and then axle articulation.

In muddy conditions what lets down most of the road biased machines is their tyres.

I'd love to see an x5 V a landcruiser in a mucky field with something like eagle F1s on both cars and then BFG muds.

I'd imagine the difference would be a whole lot narrower than normal comparisons.

i've pulled 3 tonnes of gravel in a trailer behind the pajero and you only really noticed it was there (due to being repeatedly shunted forward) when you were braking. mind you, it's not the fastest accelerating thing in the world, so there wasn't much to notice anyway.

i have a mate with a pajero and he had started to overtake someone on a straight bit of country road before he remembered he had a horse box (complete with 2 horses) attached to the back. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

dmwx5 - wouldnt pull the socks off a dead man

• Advertisement

i've pulled 3 tonnes of gravel in a trailer behind the pajero and you only really noticed it was there (due to being repeatedly shunted forward) when you were braking. mind you, it's not the fastest accelerating thing in the world, so there wasn't much to notice anyway.

i have a mate with a pajero and he had started to overtake someone on a straight bit of country road before he remembered he had a horse box (complete with 2 horses) attached to the back. :D

a real jeep !!!!!!!!!!:D

a real jeep !!!!!!!!!!:D
    i absolutely love it, it's the best car i've ever had, and i've driven plenty in my time, both new and old.

the funny thing is, i don't know what it is about it that i like so much. even the missus says the same thing.

it's weird though, when you're driving one and you notice another one coming the other way, if you look at the driver of the other Paj, 4/5 times he's looking back at you and you're both smiling at each other like you know the 'secret'. never had that with any other car.

i know it's not the fastest car in the world and it's not even the best off-road or towing (probably the landcruiser for towing and the land rover for off-road, if we're talking unmodified motors) but there's just something about them that i find appealing. :)

Advertisement